Constipated all the time. Help!

Should I comsume dietary supplements that are high in fiber?

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Did you run a report on your fiber intake? MFP will generate those for you. Just go to "Reports" and then select "fiber" as the thing you want a report on. It would help you if you knew how much fiber you are eating.
  • Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    I've found out that when I don't drink enough water, eat enough veggies, or am low in magnesium I get constipated.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Are you on low carb? That tends to constipate people really bad:/ I find a diet higher in fiber including an apple and some wheat toast along with regular veggies keeps me regular (that's not all I eat but what I believe contributes to regularity;). Low carb was terrible for me and I found miralax helped while I was on it, but not always. Hot coffee first thing in the morning can help too.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I find lots (LOTS) of water, and a magnesium supplement to work well.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I used to think I was A-OK with little grains and no fruit. I thought I was getting enough fiber with my veggies and stupid quest bars. NOPE. After months of agony I started eating a freaking apple or some berries every day and now the problem is solved.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    iamjiyoung wrote: »

Generally, the best thing for colon health is to make sure you eat enough of the 3 "F's" : Fat, Fiber, and Fluids. If your fiber or fat is low, make sure you add more in gradual amounts or you may have some "embarrassing" events.

If I find myself stopped up, I have good luck with nuts (fiber and fats) or raw carrots (fiber and I am not sure what else).

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Do you drink protein drinks? If so, maybe try a different one? If I drink two of the kind I like in one day my tummy gets constipated.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Aside from the above suggestions, what is your calorie deficit like? Lower volume of food will decrease the amount moving through. I was on a meditation retreat and only getting two small meals per day. I would guess around 800 calories based on how much I lost while there. I was constipated for two weeks at a time (twice). Got to the hotel when I left and started eating more, problem solved.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Try raising your fiber with food first. A bowl of oatmeal is a great dose of fiber, but stay away from the instant packets (40 g of Old Fashioned Oats only takes 2 minutes to cook and has 5 g protein and 4 g fiber). Fruits like berries and non watery veggies (carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) also have fiber. Nuts are a good way to get fiber and healthy fats. Whole grain bread has some fiber but not as much as people think unless it is a high fiber bread. Legumes like dal and beans (navy, kidney, black, etc. are great sources of fiber)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Should I consume dietary supplements that are high in fiber?

A few things to try (don't just jack up the fiber.....that could make you even more uncomfortable).

Are you eating low fat? If you don't have good fat numbers.....work to increase that.

Hydration - make sure you are drinking enough

Movement - if you aren't active - start by going for a walk.

Fiber - MFP allows you to track fiber (I track fiber instead of sugar). Look at your current numbers. Goal should be at least 25. But you want to increase that gradually.

Fiber comes in two types - soluble & insoluble. Both have health benefits. But for regularity look for insoluble.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2017
    Supplementing with magnesium helps A LOT. Aim for 200-400mg magnesium citrate every day. I get this one: http://a.co/hmjgreR
  • mantramoon
    mantramoon Posts: 31 Member
    Try drinking soy or almond milk instead of cow's milk. Dairy milk can be very constipating! Also eat lots of high-fiber foods like fruits and veggies and whole grains, and cut way back on refined grains like white bread and white pasta. Plenty of water too, of course. That is what works for me! Good luck.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    I have trouble with this at times too. One thing that helps me is putting flax seed in stuff. I put it in my protein shakes, and just in general cooking. Of course drinking water and some of the above suggestions are great too.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Water....water water water
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    I have this problem as well and tracking fiber is a big part of the reason I started using MFP. It is by no means fixed and I get at or above my daily fiber goal every day (I think I was below 2 or 3 times in the 60+ days I've been on here tracking and even then it was only by a gram or 2), drink a minimum of 96oz of water a day (that does not count my fluid intake from things like coffee or any soda I might drink), I have coffee and kombucha every morning, upped my dietary fat to 35% and hit it, have started taking natural calm magnesium supplement, eat 3 dried apricots every day, and workout 6 days/week. And I have also started drinking the natural laxative tea at night (don't take any other laxatives because they tend to mess me up for even longer). Basically the only thing on this list I haven't tried is the magnesium spray.
    I am usually fine for a couple days but then start feeling really bloated for several days before I finally get relief. I've always had a slower moving system but I think it is getting worse.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    Supplementing with magnesium helps A LOT. Aim for 200-400mg magnesium citrate every day. I get this one: http://a.co/hmjgreR

Yes, when I started drinking a magnesium supplement before bed, I found that I am a lot more regular.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    If you have tried fiber and over the counter laxatives and after 3 days you are still constipated, time to see a doctor so you don't get completely blocked.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Agree with the magnesium supplement suggestions. Although I think it should be magnesium oxide. Anyway, I have had this problem on and off for years. I just started the supp at the first of the week and I can already tell the difference. YMMV