Himalayan Crystal Salt

Options
I came across a recipe that called for this. I don't have it or any idea what this is. Is it a special kind of salt? Would using sea salt instead of Himalayan Salt mess up the recipe? It was a smoothie recipe, so should I only use this kind of salt for that? Thanks.

Replies

• Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    It's just a fancy expensive salt. Use sea salt instead, but add it slowly, so you don't over salt it. All salt has essentially the same compounds and it takes a pretty sophisticated palate to tell the difference.
  • watrmlon
    watrmlon Posts: 34
    Options
    You could use any sea salt or regular salt it would't make that much difference
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's a salt that's pinkish in colour & generally sold in larger crystals, but if it's being used in a recipe (and not for 'decorative' purposes) you can totally swap it out for whatever salt you have on hand... although if you're using a finely ground salt, I'd probably try using half of the amount the recipe states as 1 tsp of "regular" salt will actually be much more than 1 tsp of a bulkier large crystal salt.
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    Oh okay thanks!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Himalayan salt is just another form of salt. It is mined in Pakistan and will have a different flavor than sea salt because it contains different levels of nutrients, high in calcium and magnesium. You can substitute sea salt and will be fine just your dish will have a bit different flavor than what the original recipe.

I have a Himalayan salt block I use to cook on. It is great on the grill the food picks up wonderful mild salt flavor while cooking. When done you just rinse in water and pat dry.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Normal table salt has a chemical in it that lets it flow (prevent clumping). I use Himilayan salt (all I have in my kitchen) both fine and course rocks. The fine can't go into a shaker because it does clump and doesn't come out the holes. You have to take a pinch with your fingers so it's in a jar by the stove. Sea salt is fine substitute.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Himalayan salt is just another form of salt. It is mined in Pakistan and will have a different flavor than sea salt because it contains different levels of nutrients, high in calcium and magnesium. You can substitute sea salt and will be fine just your dish will have a bit different flavor than what the original recipe.

I have a Himalayan salt block I use to cook on. It is great on the grill the food picks up wonderful mild salt flavor while cooking. When done you just rinse in water and pat dry.

OMG I want one of these so badly. I read a fondue recipe once made in a salt bowl. YUM.

Trader Joe's sells a pink salt grinder. I am not sure if it is Himilayan or not.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest.. the only time I've heard of Himalayan salt is in reference to horses lol. We can get them himalayan salt blocks.. never even occurred to me that it might be used for cooking :laugh: For the horse: http://www.smartpakequine.com/himalayan-salt--4870p.aspx?cm_vc=Search
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest.. the only time I've heard of Himalayan salt is in reference to horses lol. We can get them himalayan salt blocks.. never even occurred to me that it might be used for cooking :laugh: For the horse: http://www.smartpakequine.com/himalayan-salt--4870p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Yea, mine came from a local tack shop several 7x4x2 bricks are what I use on the grill. Lot cheaper than buying from the internet culinary retailers.