Can B vitamins really make a difference in helping to lose weight?

Options
Can B vitamins really make a difference in helping to lose weight? I have several friends who take Vitamin B injections. Although I am not up for shots, would taking a B vitamin really help make a difference?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Calorie deficits cause weight loss. Vitamins play no role in weight loss. Chances are the VLCD they are on could set them up for vitamin deficiencies which is why they are getting the injections.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting tested for deficiencies before taking extra supplements. You may already be getting enough. In any case, they are supposed to help with metabolism but I don't think they do much for weight loss itself.
  • CarieAnn1986
    CarieAnn1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it plays a role in metabolism, assists with using energy efficiently, and boats your energy. Vitamin B deficiency may not be the most common nutritional disorder, but it is common. I will say I do not have a serum deficiency, but I feel it when I forget my vitamins. To me, that says a lot.
  • CarieAnn1986
    CarieAnn1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Excuse the typos....
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by her Vitamin B injections as a way to boost her energy and help with her allergies. Could be placebo, I don't know. It doesn't do anything for weight loss, though...only a calorie deficit does that.
  • RCGibby45
    RCGibby45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    RCGibby45 wrote: »
    Can B vitamins really make a difference in helping to lose weight? I have several friends who take Vitamin B injections. Although I am not up for shots, would taking a B vitamin really help make a difference?

Glad their magic feather is working for them

magic-feather.jpg

It is hard to tell if that is working for them. They have so much going on that they are doing all at once. I am looking for sustainable, they are looking for fast.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Bernstein diet? A friend of mine was doing it and she mentioned vitamin injections.
  • RCGibby45
    RCGibby45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bernstein diet? A friend of mine was doing it and she mentioned vitamin injections.

One of them is going through some "clinic".
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Many people find it helps energy levels, and I found it helped my mood problems when I had postpartum depression...so I guess it could give you more energy to workout, but no, there's no magic fat burning properties in them.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    They can help a little with energy levels if you aren't getting enough but they won't do anything to actually help you lose weight.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I take B-12 (and had to have an injection to start me off when my deficiency was first discovered) because I can't absorb it properly. I was seriously deficient at the time and take a really high dose to maintain normal levels but it hasn't done anything for my weight. I was told it would make me less tired (B-12 deficiency tends to make you tired) so that might help some people.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    I took B vitamins when I was gaining weight, when I was my heaviest weight, and when I lost weight.

Didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other to weight loss.

• Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started reducing my calories about ten days ago and felt really sluggish. Someone suggested a vitamin b supplement on here. Since taking it I do feel better. I would try it, if I were you, and see if it does anything for you.
  • moe_kwt
    moe_kwt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can use the B complex or multi vitamin
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    no
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have vitamin b12 injections....... because i cannot absorb b12 from my food or oral suppliments. It does *kitten* all to my weight and im knackered all the damn time so its doing nothing for my energy levels either