5:2 Diet, Alternate Day Fasting, etc.

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
Hey guys,

it's that time of the year and i'm on a cut for 12 weeks. I'm 3.5 weeks in and I can already tell that i'm starting to feel like i'm about to dive off the deep end with binge eating. Even though my calorie deficit isn't that high (just about -350 cals a day) I am feeling tired, hungry, moody, etc.

In general after about 2-3 weeks into a cut I normally level out and feel normal again, but it just isn't happening this time. I'm freaking ravenous. therefore, i'm looking for options to sustain a calorie deficit without restricting my calories every single freaking day.

I can and have fasted before and generally do on days i know i'm going to go out to a restaurant for dinner, so i'm thinking about either alternate day fasting or 5:2 (although, probably only 5:2 because i can only safely lose about .75lbs per week). My will power is high, my dedication is high, I am just questioning my ability to maintain lower calories every damn day for the next two months; it may just be easier to have short bursts of will power and dedication instead.

Has anyone tried this and had good success? How did you work this around your workouts? I'm a personal trainer and I train (myself) 5 days a week (mon-fri), teach an exercise class 1-2 times per week (burning about 450 calories), and obviously with my job i'm standing/walking around/demonstrating exercises/racking weights/etc. Oh, and I walk about 5k to and from the gym I go to.

In addition to hearing anyone feedback, I'm just wondering how to do this logistically and any tips/tricks you guys have for the fasting days. i'm hoping it doesn't have to be my entire weekend. :confounded:

Replies

• Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to alternate day fasting (Eat Stop Eat). That is, totally water fasting for 24 hours follow by a 2-3 days of normal eating. Now I just fast for 2-3 days in a row then eat at maintenance.

In the beginning you may want to take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. You may get dizzy spells easier. Once you do a few you should get an idea of how you feel. Fasts will become easier. It may help to plan, prepare the foods you'll eat ahead of the fast. Don't obsess or think about food while fasting. If you're just doing 24 hour fast then I don't think you'll have any problems with your active lifestyle.

Time will seem to slow down, so stay busy, go out and have fun. Read, research, study, learn something new, be creative - you may find your attention and mental functions improved during a fast.

I've been doing it for a long time so I'm used being active during my fasts. I do strength training, sprint HIIT, and sometimes 8-12 mile hikes totally fasted. I also LCHF so I'm continually in a state of ketosis and it makes the transition in and out of fasting easier.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For weight loss & IF, I'm a big fan of the 5:2 method. Pre-plan your 2 fast days, makes it easier. I've seen recommendations to put those days on a low intensity cardio day, I've done both on an off day or a strength day. I never tried the cardio day thing, but a friend who had excellent success did that. Mondays & Thursday were my 2 days. And sometimes they say if you are super active & working out, bump from 500 to 600 on your low calorie day.
  • kcheesebrough
    kcheesebrough Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey all! What is the 5:2 fast? New to this and want to try it. I'm not super active, I garden, mow my own lawn, clean the house and walk. I work nights so it's a little tough to get out and exercise
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »
    I used to alternate day fasting (Eat Stop Eat). That is, totally water fasting for 24 hours follow by a 2-3 days of normal eating. Now I just fast for 2-3 days in a row then eat at maintenance.

In the beginning you may want to take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. You may get dizzy spells easier. Once you do a few you should get an idea of how you feel. Fasts will become easier. It may help to plan, prepare the foods you'll eat ahead of the fast. Don't obsess or think about food while fasting. If you're just doing 24 hour fast then I don't think you'll have any problems with your active lifestyle.

Time will seem to slow down, so stay busy, go out and have fun. Read, research, study, learn something new, be creative - you may find your attention and mental functions improved during a fast.

I've been doing it for a long time so I'm used being active during my fasts. I do strength training, sprint HIIT, and sometimes 8-12 mile hikes totally fasted. I also LCHF so I'm continually in a state of ketosis and it makes the transition in and out of fasting easier.
    Thanks for your reply! I don't think i'm going to water fast for those two days, i'll probably still consume 5-600 calories (probably a PSMF).

I will definitely have to get used to it, but i don't think it should be an issue; like you said, i'll need to stay busy.

rybo wrote: »
    For weight loss & IF, I'm a big fan of the 5:2 method. Pre-plan your 2 fast days, makes it easier. I've seen recommendations to put those days on a low intensity cardio day, I've done both on an off day or a strength day. I never tried the cardio day thing, but a friend who had excellent success did that. Mondays & Thursday were my 2 days. And sometimes they say if you are super active & working out, bump from 500 to 600 on your low calorie day.

Thanks man. Can you clarify what the "cardio day thing is" and also how you felt on vs. off training days? what's your preference?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Hey all! What is the 5:2 fast? New to this and want to try it. I'm not super active, I garden, mow my own lawn, clean the house and walk. I work nights so it's a little tough to get out and exercise

You can read the actual book if you want "the fast diet 5:2" or the "every other day diet". In general concept though you eat at maintainance on non-fast days and 500-600 calories on fast-days. The fast days create your calorie deficit and for the other days you can eat normally. This takes out the hassle of having to eat less every single day.

As someone who only has a couple pounds to lose (about 7-8) cutting down on my calories when i'm already active is very difficult. As a small woman it already takes less calories to maintian my body weight, and as someone who is already active it's not like i can increase my activity substantially. Hence, it's just another way to control my calorie deficit.

There's some information out there about fasting and blood glucose levels, cholesterol and blood pressure, and even longevity... but, meh. As far as i'm concerned this is only a way for me to shed these last few pounds of body fat without going insane.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ADF/5:2 are great. Do them on your rest days so you can enjoy calories on training days.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    ADF/5:2 are great. Do them on your rest days so you can enjoy calories on training days.

fuuuu, that's exactly what i didn't want to hear. So i'll be roughing it all weekend? :cry:
  • katiekabootle
    katiekabootle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Copy/pasted this from the 5:2 community here on MFP:

"Hi! :) I'm Katie, and I've been overweight my entire life.

I recently decided to get serious (once again) about losing weight, and reinstalled MFP after years of ignoring it. I didn't realize the app would still have my old data. I was 13.8 pounds heavier then the last time I logged in. Instead of being upset, I used the realization as fire for my motivation and made losing that number my first mini-goal.

After watching Dr. Mosley's, "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer," I was fascinated, and decided to try the 5:2 Diet. Regular, constant calorie restriction always left me feeling frustrated, so I figured, "What do I have to lose?" by trying fasting.

I recently completed my first month of this diet with daily weigh-in's and calorie logging, and excercise 3-4 times a week. From March 26th-April 26th I have lost 12.8 pounds. I'm a little shocked tbh!! Haha. I am very pleased with this beginning. Nothing else has ever worked this effectively for me before. While I still have 1lb to lose, I am already setting my next mini-goal: Lose 15lbs between April 26th-June 26th before going to California for vacation."
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Copy/pasted this from the 5:2 community here on MFP:

"Hi! :) I'm Katie, and I've been overweight my entire life.

I recently decided to get serious (once again) about losing weight, and reinstalled MFP after years of ignoring it. I didn't realize the app would still have my old data. I was 13.8 pounds heavier then the last time I logged in. Instead of being upset, I used the realization as fire for my motivation and made losing that number my first mini-goal.

After watching Dr. Mosley's, "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer," I was fascinated, and decided to try the 5:2 Diet. Regular, constant calorie restriction always left me feeling frustrated, so I figured, "What do I have to lose?" by trying fasting.

I recently completed my first month of this diet with daily weigh-in's and calorie logging, and excercise 3-4 times a week. From March 26th-April 26th I have lost 12.8 pounds. I'm a little shocked tbh!! Haha. I am very pleased with this beginning. Nothing else has ever worked this effectively for me before. While I still have 1lb to lose, I am already setting my next mini-goal: Lose 15lbs between April 26th-June 26th before going to California for vacation."

That's awesome! Good for you, girl!

How do you manage your fast days? Are they also your non-workout days?
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is adherence, personally for me I could not do a 5:2 but it may work great for you. There is no harm in trying it to see if it fits your lifestyle. If it does, great, if it does not, try something different. I dont know how often you are eating but if you are eating 6-8 small meals a day then maybe a 16/8 will be better so you are getting fewer but larger meals in and that may make you more full.

That is why this stuff is so debatable, what works great for one person will make another person fail. Personally, fasting for long periods of time do not work for me and I prefer 6-7 smaller meals. Others say teasing with such small calories each meal is torture and id rather have 3-4 larger meals. The one that you can stick to is the best one. Goodluck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

fuuuu, that's exactly what i didn't want to hear. So i'll be roughing it all weekend? :cry:

The fast days are supposed to be non consecutive. So don't do both weekend days. The "cardio" thing is if you are doing an easy run or any LISS type cardio. I wouldn't try it on a more intense conditioning workout. I was fine on my strength days & the low cal. Important for me was just not coming into those days under fed. It was easier to get thru the day and pick up eating the next day.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

The fast days are supposed to be non consecutive. So don't do both weekend days. The "cardio" thing is if you are doing an easy run or any LISS type cardio. I wouldn't try it on a more intense conditioning workout. I was fine on my strength days & the low cal. Important for me was just not coming into those days under fed. It was easier to get thru the day and pick up eating the next day.

awesome, thanks man.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    I think the key here is adherence, personally for me I could not do a 5:2 but it may work great for you. There is no harm in trying it to see if it fits your lifestyle. If it does, great, if it does not, try something different. I dont know how often you are eating but if you are eating 6-8 small meals a day then maybe a 16/8 will be better so you are getting fewer but larger meals in and that may make you more full.

That is why this stuff is so debatable, what works great for one person will make another person fail. Personally, fasting for long periods of time do not work for me and I prefer 6-7 smaller meals. Others say teasing with such small calories each meal is torture and id rather have 3-4 larger meals. The one that you can stick to is the best one. Goodluck!

as a prevous binge-eater 16/8, OMAD, etc. is just asking for it. :P