Someone PLEASE help me quit smoking!

Options
cband
cband Posts: 45 Member
I need you!

Smoking is hindering my future, but I can't get away from it. I'm 18 years old, and a fire fighter. I'm going to be going to attending a police academy next year as well. Here's the thing, I had a physical for the FD. They're worried I have a pulminary obstruction due to smoking. I need to quit smoking NOW.
I've been smoking for 7 years. I know my triggers. My boyfriend that I live with smokes, but I don't expect him to quit with me. There's ash trays and lighters everywhere. Everything makes me want to light up, a walk, a car ride, a shower, a meal, stress, and I feel it'll never get better. I just can't seem to stop...someone please help me with this!

Replies

• maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about possible medications (they work well) as well as investigate hypnotism. While that doesn't work as well with weight loss, it works wonderfully for quitting smoking!

Good luck!
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I quit after 30 years. First, you have to make up your mind to quit and do it. I used Nicorette gum and it helped with the urges.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just stop. Don't do it anymore. Don't let an addiction have control over you.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Well, you're 18 so that's good, best to stop now before things get worse... Whoa, wait. 7 years? WTF??

Anyway, the way I understand it, you can't stop because of the nicotine addiction. Your brain for some reason feels that it needs it to function or something like that. One thing you can try are those patches, might work. Doesn't seem to work for everyone though.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    my mother smoked for oh gosh 40 years and went on chantix (spelling?) and it worked wonders! i would recommend it. she did experience some gnarly side effects but shes been smoke free for 5 years now. no weight gain side effects, at least for her...just really detailed scary dreams
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Try an electronic cigarette the "ego" is best for beginners. It's just vapor with some nicatine. No smoke.
  • cband
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about possible medications (they work well) as well as investigate hypnotism. While that doesn't work as well with weight loss, it works wonderfully for quitting smoking!

Good luck!
    Lol hopefully it does...
    Exercise usually helps. But I'm waiting for a doctor appointment about a back injury...so I haven't been able to do too much of that.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I quit smoking five months ago while I was living with a smoker *and* trying to lose weight. I'm here to tell you that it is possible and doesn't have to involve a bunch of misery and suffering. You will feel SO good when you quit!!! All of the bad feelings and anxiety will be over.

Alan Carr's book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" is what made quitting happen for me. Google him, google the book and "free download" and you can find it for free. You can get it at the library for free. Google his you tube videos. He makes it simple. He convinced me that I didn't have to feel deprived or miserable about not smoking. Instead, I feel so LIBERATED and GRATEFUL that I don't have to smoke anymore!!!! :D

The book is really short. Read it, please. It changed my life <3
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    Try an electronic cigarette the "ego" is best for beginners. It's just vapor with some nicatine. No smoke.
    i second that ,,works really well & it helps to have it in your hand whenever you need it
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit after 37 years of heavy smoking. In Colorado, part of the taxes on cigarettes goes to The Quitline. They provide counseling and nicotine patches free of charge. I also used Welbutrin which is a prescription know for reducing your desire to smoke. It also reduces your appetite some. I just made a commitment and prayed for the Lord to be my strength. It has been over 4 years and I am now running and walking 7 to 8 miles a day. I will also be 61 in November:flowerforyou:
  • cband
    Options
    LOL. Yeah seven years, this is 2011, it's fairly common sadly. The patches always just fall off me. It's hot & I sweat, especially during exercise.

Chantix- I'm not sure what that is, but I'll look into it. I just got sick of going thru page after page on the internet of a bunch of pictures of cigarettes and the same info :/
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Hi ya and I'd love to help but I can't. It's gotta be all you. Sucks doesn't it? It took me over 30 years and $$$$$ to realize that there wasn't a magic wand to make me lose weight or to stay quit smoking (I quit a thousand times, it was the staying quit I had problems with!) Your major priority should be quitting smoking as it is impacting your health, career path...everything! If your boyfriend won't quit smoking in the home, knowing you are already identifying pulmonary issues, I'd get a place on my own. Know that is harsh, but this is your health! The main thing is you have got to decide that the cigarette isn't worth dying for, losing a job over or getting a terminal disease. For me, I was able to quit for the last time with a prescription medication that has multiple side-effects, none of which I experienced thank goodness. Sending positive quitting vibes your way! You can do this!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You don't need anyone else but YOU!

You can do it, get your mind right and it will happen, I was the same, most my friends smoke too, I quit 7 months ago today as it happens!! (freaky huh!!) but you need to realise that you will only quit for good once you WANT to, it's 100% possible but it's not easy.

I quit with 18 left in my pack, don't set a date or a time or a "I'll just have one more pack", tell yourself at some point in the next few weeks I will decide if I want to smoke or not and when it feels right, do it.

You have to remember whether you think you can or whether you think you can't.....you're right!! :wink:

You can stop, it is possible and it will happen <--- all you need to know!

Ben.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I invested in an e-cig. It helps with the psychological need of physically blowing vapor from my face.
  • Louisemyers29
    Louisemyers29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey over 7 years ago and never looked back. I was absolutely sick of the smell, taste, expense and the fact that I almost coughed up a lung every morning. One day I threw down a ciggie halfway through and decided that was it. All the while I lived at home with an entire family who smoked and had a boyfriend who also smoked. About 3 months after I quit my Dad had a heart attack then everyone else quit. My Dad had to quit obviously but really wanted to after a scare like that.

To help me I carried a half box around with me like a security blanket and kept an online ticker of my progress. It told me how many ciggies I hadn't smoked, how much I hadn't shaved off my life and how much money I'd saved.

I hope you find something that helps and wish you lots of luck! :smile:
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used the quit now application on my phone....been smoke free 3 months!!! :glasses:
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The keys to quitting addictions are to understand what is happening, how to support your body during the transition and dedicate yourself to your goal.

Read up on nutrition to support quitting smoking. You will mostly find information about eating good quality healthful foods, eating to keep your blood sugar stable (which helps to avoid those impulsive moments which are so easy to give into during a low) and detoxifying.

Make a list of the reasons you want to quit, and most importantly DO IT!

Use whatever tools are at your disposal if you feel they will help, but in the end, you either light up that next cigarette, or you don't.

I wish you luck. It's hard for the first three or four days.. and not easy at all for the next week, but little by little it becomes easier. They say it takes 28 days to quit a habit.. Find something to do with your hands when you are drinking coffee.. sing along with music in the car.. go for a walk to fight cravings.. drink ice water and avoid the urge to snack.

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • PinkiG35
    PinkiG35 Posts: 16
    Options
    I smoked for almost 15 years and was up to a pack a day. I was hospitalized due to a MRSA outbreak and noticed I had a headache even while on Morphine and Percocet. They had to give me a nicotine patch before the headache would go away. That made me want to quit.

I used cinnamon sticks. yes sounds weird but anytime I felt like smoking I would grab a stick and "smoke" it. They are about the same size and weight of a cig but instead of making your breath stink.... it smells good.

I also used an app on my phone that showed me how much money I had saved and how many cigs I didnt smoke.

Good luck
  • cband
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. As far as the e-cigs, I really can't afford that right now. I only had patches cause someone got them for me.

And doing it myself, I find that kind of obvious :P, but I feel it's alot easier if I had someone to talk through it with me.