Should I cut or bulk?

Options
yomycc
yomycc Posts: 18 Member
So I'm kind of new to fitness...well I've been working out for a while but never took it as serious as right now. I weight 107 and would like to gain muscle and get bigger legs, but I also want to lose my stubborn belly fat. A friend told me to lose weight first while building muscle (lifting), another told me to bulk first and then cut. Can someone please tell what would be the best thing to do right now and also recommend a program if possible. Thank you in advance
Btw..I'm 107 and 5' tall

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Or maintain if your current weight is the weight you want to be.

Very few people need to do cut/bulk cycles - it's a valid choice of course and seemingly currently very fashionable just not a requirement. Especially if you don't have particularly high ambitions.
    If you do chose that route then normally in your situation it would be cut until you are lean and then bulk.

If you haven't seriously trained for long then that's where you focus should be.
    I would suggest a beginner weight lifting routine, probably based around full body compound moves hitting all muscle groups x3 a week. It will build the foundation of strength and technique.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Recomp
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above that recomp sounds like the best bet for you. Pick a lifting program and eat at maintenance. Don't focus only on your lower body for lifting...building up your back, shoulders, arms, and chest as well as your lower half will make your waist seen smaller by comparison.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your preference and personality. For me, I feel better when I have a clear goal, either cut or gain. Recomp-ing works too but I find it to be way too slow for my preference and mental happiness.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would go with a recomp as well. If I had been at a healthy weight when I started lifting, I definitely would have focused on continuing to eat at maintenance while lifting. That "newbie gains" time is a great time for that.
  • yomycc
    Options
    @sijomial thank you so much for the advice. Sounds more reasonable to me.
  • yomycc
    Options
    @TavistockToad what is Recomp?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    yomycc wrote: »
    @TavistockToad what is Recomp?

This thread as a lot of information on recomp and people generally are very good about answering any questions you might have left over :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Since you're still a novice, it should be easier to recomp (lose fat and build muscle at the same time)
  • yomycc
    Options
    @ladyreva78 thank you. That was great info.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    @yomycc my pleasure.

I keep that thread bookmarked for when I've cut down far enough for the process to be worth if for me. I still need to lose a good 15-20kg before I can think about it.