What seasonal food are you eating this month?

Options
daneejela
daneejela Posts: 461 Member
Eating seasonal is great for many reasons:
- it's chipper (because there is no need for additional costs in production, like when it's grown out of season)
- it's grown localy
- it's enviroment friendly (since it's grown locally it doesn't have to be transported from the other side of the globe )
- it's fresher (since there is no transportation delay)
- it tastes better (because food is grown in it's natural conditions that allows it to fully develop it's taste)
- cycling food through the year increases variety

So, what seasonal food are you having these days? :)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, lettuce and asparagus so far. Oh, and fennel. I am adding fennel to everything.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    About 10 lbs of leeks that overwintered in my garden, and the last of the Blue Hubbard squash that I use among my Halloween decorations and then store in my basement. For newly growing things, I am using lots of herbs and dandelion greens, and have a magnificent ruby-red rhubarb plant that is begging to be turned into pies, crisps, sauces, and butter crunches.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    None, we're still getting snow just about every day. :'(
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm in Minnesota where it (briefly) snowed yesterday, so I don't think anything is in season for us yet. :(

I've been having lots of winter produce -- citrus, cabbage, onions, spaghetti and butternut squash.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    We have a cold frame so:
    - salads
    - radishes
    - baby carrots
    - fennel
    - kohlrabi

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm in Minnesota where it (briefly) snowed yesterday, so I don't think anything is in season for us yet. :(

I've been having lots of winter produce -- citrus, cabbage, onions, spaghetti and butternut squash.

I also live in MN, and am still buying these things lol. I don't mind though; butternut squash soup is amazing. I went to the farmer market last week, and only bought apples that were stored and fresh herbs. I give it another month before the berries and leafy greens start coming in. :)

• ChloesMomPatty72
    ChloesMomPatty72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Picked up some fresh vine ripened tomatoes yesterday! Here in Alabama, "maters" are a summer staple, and mater sammiches are a treat! After cutting carbs I've found that using olive oil mayo and whole grain wheat bread makes a pretty great combo!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Currently only thing being 'harvested' in my area is dairy/meat/eggs. We're still a ways away from crops. Most of our trees don't even have buds yet :)

We do have some big Dairy near us though, so a lot of the dairy I buy tends to be local just by coincidence

Come fall this area goes Apple crazy. Apples are the cash crop of the area... apple festivals er'ry where...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Mulberries are just coming in season and it just so happens the hiking trail I use has three trees. I got the thumbs up from the park ranger to pick. So, I'm making mulberry jam.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Mulberries are just coming in season and it just so happens the hiking trail I use has three trees. I got the thumbs up from the park ranger to pick. So, I'm making mulberry jam.

I have never made anything with mulberries, although I have access to a couple of trees, so maybe I should give it a try. Do you have any particular jam recipe recommendations? I am super-jealous of all those assorted citrus marmalades you have been making!

Last night I brought in a bundle of fat and sassy, vibrantly red rhubarb stalks and made my first rhubarb-buttercrunch-crisp of the season (so called because I follow my grandma's butter crunch recipe, but I double the oats, which makes it close to my husband's grandma's crisp recipe). DA BOMB.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love rhubarb pie. I can't make pie crust if my life was on the line. Lol

I used this recipe. https://allrecipes.com/recipe/232732/mulberry-preserves/amp/

I have never made anything with mulberries, although I have access to a couple of trees, so maybe I should give it a try. Do you have any particular jam recipe recommendations? I am super-jealous of all those assorted citrus marmalades you have been making!

Last night I brought in a bundle of fat and sassy, vibrantly red rhubarb stalks and made my first rhubarb-buttercrunch-crisp of the season (so called because I follow my grandma's butter crunch recipe, but I double the oats, which makes it close to my husband's grandma's crisp recipe). DA BOMB.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

I also live in MN, and am still buying these things lol. I don't mind though; butternut squash soup is amazing. I went to the farmer market last week, and only bought apples that were stored and fresh herbs. I give it another month before the berries and leafy greens start coming in. :)

Yes, my local farmer's market opens on the 20th and I'm eagerly checking off the days! I love winter vegetables too, but there's something so magical about spring.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My area's right on the cusp of the first spring veggies! Last week it was fiddleheads and garlic ramps; next week we should have the first of the asparagus and tender baby spinach/lettuces.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Heirloom tomatoes, campari tomatoes, and strawberries are on my table.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My area's grower's market was supposed to open yesterday...but it snowed. Their winter selection is pretty limited...it's pretty limited in general since I'm in the desert, but there are some good local farms and growers in the valley...we go from time to time, but it's kinda stupid expensive. I never understand it when people talk about local farmer's markets and whatnot being cheaper...everyone I've ever been to is just expensive as crap...but the tomatoes are worth it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I love mulberries, They are great fibre.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My mom picked up some fiddleheads for me and is bringing them by today!