Best Meat Protein

Options
I used to eat a ton of chicken and turkey but for the past couple of months I have been eating fish because it is lower calorie but I am kind of getting sick of it.

What is the best meat based protein to eat? Is chicken actually healthy?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'Best' in what way?
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you ask regarding chicken being healthy. Vegans will say the animal protein will kill you but I tend to think the leaner, non processed cuts are just fine. Things like skinless chicken breast, Ground Turkey and Pork is also a very lean protein.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Generally, the best thing is a varied diet. Eat chicken, turkey, salmon, pork, beef... some fattier meats have more iron (like beef).
  • JJS1979
    Options
    one other thing, mix up how you make the chicken, sometimes i bake it and that gets old, other times i put it in the Crock pot with some chicken stock and put it in a wrap or something so its a little more variety than just boring grilled chicken.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    It depends on who you ask regarding chicken being healthy. Vegans will say the animal protein will kill you but I tend to think the leaner, non processed cuts are just fine. Things like skinless chicken breast, Ground Turkey and Pork is also a very lean protein.

Vegans, as an overall group, absolutely don't say that. Some vegans think that. Other vegans take a more evidence-based approach.
  • JJS1979
    Options

Vegans, as an overall group, absolutely don't say that. Some vegans think that. Other vegans take a more evidence-based approach.

SRS...ha...you need to learn to not take things so literally, I was merely making a point that depending on who you ask they will have different opinions on different foods. And by the way, while this may not be the view point of all vegans, the loudest ones absolutely do take this position. So again, it depends on who you ask.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Steak and bacon

/thread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a ton of chicken and turkey but for the past couple of months I have been eating fish because it is lower calorie but I am kind of getting sick of it.

What is the best meat based protein to eat? Is chicken actually healthy?

I think variety is best, so I don't get the question.

Whenever you start trying to pick the best food in a category to just eat it, I think that's probably the wrong approach.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I got sick of chicken and went on a pork loin kick. Macros are similar
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

SRS...ha...you need to learn to not take things so literally, I was merely making a point that depending on who you ask they will have different opinions on different foods. And by the way, while this may not be the view point of all vegans, the loudest ones absolutely do take this position. So again, it depends on who you ask.

I will do my best to remember that your statements shouldn't be taken literally.

I generally object to the idea that the loudest people in the group should be taken to represent a group as a whole, but perhaps you didn't mean that literally.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The most bioavailable form of animal protein is eggs.
  • JJS1979
    Options
    The most bioavailable form of animal protein is eggs.

Agreed, and they are really inexpensive.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pork tenderloin is high protein, low fat/carbs; shrimp is a go-to

even just try mixing it up - instead of turkey breast, used ground turkey and make a casserole (use the MFP recipe builder to determine calories etc)
  • landshark28
    landshark28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are pure protein and also #1 for being utilized by your body. Eat all types of protein though or you won't get the essential vitamins and you will get
    Bored of your diet
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are pure protein and also #1 for being utilized by your body. Eat all types of protein though or you won't get the essential vitamins and you will get
    Bored of your diet

while I love egg whites...I don't think that hits the request for meat protein...
  • elziethom
    elziethom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar question. Should have read this first!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    pork... lots of micronutrients. Fish, mmm omega 3s.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    All are the best I haven had a meat I don't like
  • kmcadam78
    kmcadam78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We started experimenting with other meats available in supermarkets like venison, ostrich and kangaroo. These are all really low in fat some actually lower than skinless turkey breast and mega high in protein. They actually taste v similar to beef but the texture is a little more dense with being so low in fat. Plus they are a lot cheaper than beef