How long DOES it take (roughly) to gain a pound of muscle?

Options
Jabbarwocky
Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
This has probably been asked before and if so, my apologies. I'm curious though. I started using MFP again back in January along with walking and the elliptical but in the last month started weight training. I understand the concept of muscle being denser than fat and requiring more calories to maintain so no need to go into that. I also understand that there may not be even a rough estimate that can be give. I was just curious.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    For someone bulking (gaining weight while lifting) a male within the first few years of lifting will gain about 2 pounds per month and a female will gain about one pound per month.

For someone dieting/cutting/in a calorie deficit and lifting there aren't statistics, but it's often stated as less than half of what they would gain in a bulk and that's only if they are new to lifting or obese. Someone who is lean and not new to lifting will not be gaining muscle.

For someone maintaining weight and lifting there aren't statistics, but again it is often stated as less than half of what they would gain in a bulk.

Lifting is still worth it for health and body composition no matter where someone is at in the process.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Options
    I had no intention of stopping no matter what. I'm 50 and have started to notice a drop in muscle mass over the last few years so definitely need to do this. I'm currently firmly in the obese range and in a calorie deficit. Refuse to call it the D word because that implies an end and I really need this to become a lifestyle change due to a recent diabetes diagnosis, metformin only for now. So basically, I can expect to gain roughly 1 pound or less per month of muscle, at least for a while. Thanks!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I had no intention of stopping no matter what. I'm 50 and have started to notice a drop in muscle mass over the last few years so definitely need to do this. I'm currently firmly in the obese range and in a calorie deficit. Refuse to call it the D word because that implies an end and I really need this to become a lifestyle change due to a recent diabetes diagnosis, metformin only for now. So basically, I can expect to gain roughly 1 pound or less per month of muscle, at least for a while.Thanks!

Hold on now. You say you're 50 and also in a caloric deficit? I'm on mobile so I cannot see your gender.

You have to factor in both of those along with your gender and your lifting program. You're more likely to gain muscle off of a progressive lifting program than just lifting at will.

Once you're passed your 30s your testoterone starts to drop significantly(your stated muscular atrophy) which factors in your ability to build any significant muscle mass. If you're a male with dropping test levels maybe speak to your doctor about TRT.

Next, your deficit. For a young test filled male it is extremely difficult to build muscle while in a deficit. Since what is muscle? It's stored energy, what do you need to in order to have energy to store. A surplus. So as long as you're in a deficit your muscle gains will be minimal. Possibly closer to .5lbs a month.

Next is your programing. Are you on a structured lifting program designed around hypertrophy or strength gains? Or are you more or less just lifting and doing whatever you feel like that day. Your programing will make an incredible difference in regard to your progress.

Lastly. Are you resting enough? Your sleep is going to be a major contributor to your muscular gains. 8 hours is the general preferred number among lifters. I personally like 9. These are all things you must consider and maintain in order to make progress in regards to muscular growth. Not trying to discourage you, merely giving you the information I wish I had when I started.

• rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i think your going to get a bunch of different answers on that question , it all depends who your asking the question everybody opinion will vary LOL
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You will build strength & maintain muscle mass at a minimum. Don't worry about how many lbs of muscle you might gain. You can try your answer your own wresting by getting a reliable body fat assessment (hydrotank, body pod, dexa scan) every 6 months. Even those could have a small margin of variance.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    i think your going to get a bunch of different answers on that question , it all depends who your asking the question everybody opinion will vary LOL

Yeah, that was expected! Just wanted a general idea of what to expect and have received that.

To give more detail, I'm a 50 year old male with a current calorie deficit set to lose about a pound per week. I currently get 2180 calories to start my day. I'm 5'11" with a current weight of 263. As previously stated, I've recently been diagnosed as diabetic and at the moment, losing weight is much more critical than gaining muscle as my current condition is being treated with diet, exercise, and metformin. I am NOT taking insulin yet and would dearly like to keep it that way which is why weight loss is currently more critical than muscle gain. I've also recently injured my knees which is keeping me from doing cardio or lower body strength training. Until that issue is resolved, have a doctors appointment for it on Monday, and I can get a personal trainer for a while I am currently strength training at the YMCA using the Activtrax online system to track. @Jessef593, I was anticipating less than a pound per month of muscle gain based on what the original responder had told me. The reality is that it took me a long time to gain this weight and get this out of shape so it only stands to reason that dropping the weight and getting in shape will also take a significant amount of time. Just wanted a basic yardstick to judge by and even if all I do is enough to tone, which is more what I'm doing right now anyway, then that works as well. I'm still getting in shape. Right now I'm lifting light weights with more reps.