Light Bread

Options
Hello! I'm looking for recommendations for a light bread. I like to have a piece with my egg in the morning, have been using Arnold Whole Grain Oatnut bread but too many calories and sugar for one slice (120 cals)! I bought Pepperidge Farm Light 7 Grain Bread and I can pretty much see thru it. But, the nutritional side of it is good for one slice. Looking for something in between as I don't eat a lot of bread but need to cut it back from the Arnold. I live in a rural area so would have to be a national or fairly popular brand to find it around here....thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I shop at Aldi. Their light & active brand is 45 calories per slice and looks like a standard piece of bread. Tastes pretty good, too. They also have a sprouted 7 grain bread that is 60 calories per slice. They are pretty small, but i love the flavor.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The Nature's Harvest Light Multigrain is pretty decent at 40 cals a slice.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Natures Own is also a good brand, and they have lighter breads as far as calories go. Their double fiber whole wheat is pretty tasty.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like Healthy Life. Typical slices are 35-40 cals each. I typically do 2 pieces dry toasted with over easy egg and turkey sausage for a filling breakfast. The white bread isn't as soft as say Butternut, but toasted it is perfect for me.
  • piperjane11
    piperjane11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the fast replies, I was on my way out the door to the store so I'll take these ideas with me! I like the taste of the Pep. Farm but the dang slice is so thin! I appreciate the suggestions!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sarah Lee Soft and Smooth is a pretty good "white whole grain" bread. I believe it's 50-60 calories a slice and tastes like normal white bread. I would prefer a nuttier whole grain myself, but this is what my family and I can all agree is acceptable and we just don't eat enough bread to merit buying two separate loaves to satisfy everyone.
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Stop & Shop's light rye bread. 50 calories a slice and very satisfying.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life, Sarah Lee, etc. they all have breads ranging form 35-45 cals per slice. Most of it is pretty good.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sarah Lee or 647
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The best bread I've found is Mahler's, California Lifestyle Flax Protein Bread. 80 Cals, 2g Fat, 9g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 1g sugar and 8g Protein. And it actually tastes good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sarah Lee Soft and Smooth is a pretty good "white whole grain" bread. I believe it's 50-60 calories a slice and tastes like normal white bread. I would prefer a nuttier whole grain myself, but this is what my family and I can all agree is acceptable and we just don't eat enough bread to merit buying two separate loaves to satisfy everyone.

This^

Sara Lee - I like the 100% Whole Wheat and it's 60 calories per slice. I've tried several 45 calorie breads. The flavor was good, but lord help me if I wanted to put some crunchy veggies on there......every one I tried just fell apart. I might as well eat my sandwich with a fork.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I like Dave's Killer bread, thin sliced. 60 or 70 calories per slice.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

+1

And it's sturdy enough for anything regular sliced bread is. Plus, it toasts nicely.
  • piperjane11
    Options
    Wow, didn't expect so many people to respond! I picked up Nature's Harvest for now, but once I got home the slices look about the same size as the Pep. Farm. :neutral: I'll try some of the other suggestions next time. Can't stand the thin slices, to toast it makes it like a board. It takes us like 2 weeks to eat a loaf of bread (sometimes longer) so I too can't have too many around at a time, lol. Luckily they freeze well.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't expect so many people to respond! I picked up Nature's Harvest for now, but once I got home the slices look about the same size as the Pep. Farm. :neutral: I'll try some of the other suggestions next time. Can't stand the thin slices, to toast it makes it like a board. It takes us like 2 weeks to eat a loaf of bread (sometimes longer) so I too can't have too many around at a time, lol. Luckily they freeze well.

How do you feel about English muffins? Thomas Light English muffins toast well, taste great and have great fiber/protein macros for 100 cal. I find them very filling and often have just a half for 50 cal.
  • piperjane11
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

How do you feel about English muffins? Thomas Light English muffins toast well, taste great and have great fiber/protein macros for 100 cal. I find them very filling and often have just a half for 50 cal.

I like them, but want something I can make sandwiches too....Thanks for the idea though, I had kind of forgotten about them and would work nicely when I'm craving a bagel!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I use killer daves mentioned above but also bagel thins.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

+1

And it's sturdy enough for anything regular sliced bread is. Plus, it toasts nicely.

YES. And it is so yummy for sandwiches. I've had turkey sandwiches 4/5 days this week and I have looked forward to every single one. It's SO filling, too!