Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Always sick since starting this healthy lifestyle :(

Aukeilagirl
Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
Can someone please help me figure this out. Since I started living a healthy lifestyle by eating right and exercising I am always sick. I have been sick more times in this past 6 weeks then in my whole existence. This lifestyle doesn't feel to healthy. I'm not going to give up. I just want hope that this shall pass. I don't take any supplements or quick fixes but I'm thinking I might need to start taking vitamins. Please help! I'm tired of being sick.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    define healthy lifestyle? define sick?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that!

To help us make suggestions, can you describe what a "healthy lifestyle" means to you? What are you doing/eating, and how is it different from what you used to do?

And what sort of sickness? Colds? Stomach issues?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    yeah, what do you mean? If you're really sick, go to the doctor. If you are under eating, raise your calories.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Please define "sick"? You mean like the flu sick or diarrhea sick?? If you adding alot of fruits/vegetables and high fiber grains etc...and not used to it, may want to slow down by adding in that stuff to your diet a little at a time. Your body just may need time to adjust. If it's just the flu or cold or something...probably a coincidence and should see a doctor. Drink alot of fluids and feel better!
  • Aukeilagirl
    I eat more fruits & veggies and eliminated all unhealthy food as much as I can. I exercise 5 days a week. I do cardio 3 days and lifting 4. I have been sick for almost 5 weeks straight. I drink about a gallon of water a day and nothing else. Sore throats, coughing, chills and fatigued. I went to the doctors because I thought I had strep because my throat was on fire. But it came back negative. I might just go back and ask for more testing.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    How many calories per day are you averaging? Getting enough protein and fats to go with those fruits and veggies? You might consider upping calories to maintenance and cutting back on the cardio and lifting while you recover. Anyone can get sick at any time, and late winter/early spring always seems the worst at my house!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    correlation doesn't equal causation...just because you got sick around the same time you started eating healthier doesn't mean that is why you got sick

but I tend to agree with others - calories might be too low and not getting enough nutritents which is causing issues with your immune system

what are you eating daily? are you eating back exercise calories?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Although there are foods considered by some to be unhealthy, as long as you don't have specific health issues eating "healthy" really doesn't mean anything. You can eat tons of fruit and end up with diabetes from the sugar content. You can eat very low carb high fat diets and end up over a long period of time with an unhealthy cardiovascular system. Eating healthy is just too wide of a term unless you can pinpoint what eating "healthy" means to you. If you're sick all the time, it may just be a result of being around other sick people too much, what do you do for a living? School? Working with the public? The flu shots this year were near worthless (as they are most of the time). Heck I had the flu at least three times in one form or another since last November and I take a ton of vitamins each day. There are many ways you can run yourself down or deplete your immune system; Over exercising with no rest days, eating too few calories for a long period of time, or even combinations of both. I guess my point for the OP is that if you're getting enough calories, and you aren't starving yourself of specific vitamins (MFP reports can give you an estimate of the major ones), then it's probably just bad luck and has nothing to do with the diet or exercise. Again, that's unless you're overdoing it.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    When I first start exercising I feel fatigued. It got better though. Could your sore throat be more like acid reflux from specific fruits maybe? Just wondering. I would definitely go back to doctor if you're concerned.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    It sounds like you might have mono. Maybe get checked for that.
  • Aukeilagirl
    Thank you for all your input. I will make sure I'm eating enough everyday and I'll lower my cardio to two days a week. I will up my protein also. If I don't start feeling better I'll go back to the doctors. Thank you again.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    At our workplace a flu strain's been circulating along with two different cold viruses. Knocked me down for a month of exactly what you're describing - head cold, recover some, all achy and sore throat, recover some, back to head cold.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    At our workplace a flu strain's been circulating along with two different cold viruses. Knocked me down for a month of exactly what you're describing - head cold, recover some, all achy and sore throat, recover some, back to head cold.

Yup. I kept telling my wife it was the zombie virus coming back to haunt us. We both had it at least 3 times and I went through sinus crap a 4th time (which could have just been allergies, I do have a lot of them lol). I didn't even bother with the flu shot this year, it was said to be pretty worthless for the strains going around.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I think this is just coincidence...it has nothing to do with your diet. If you're sick though, you might want to back down on the exercise to allow yourself to get better...make sure you're eating enough calories.
  • Aukeilagirl
    edited April 2017
    allisonl6 wrote: »

I never thought of that :/
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    A probiotic may help too! How are you feeling? Any diagnosis?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Go back to the dr, it sounds like some sort of virus. No lifestyle change can cause a sore throat!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    allisonl6 wrote: »

I never thought of that :/

Yeah you have a virus or something. I had it too. I'm the queen of strep so when the test came back negative, the doctor prescribed meds. But then the cold symptoms came on so I decided not to take them. Literally lasted about 4 weeks.

I also had mono all fall and didn't realize it. I had bloodwork done for something else and tested positive.