Sciatic pain after running

Replies

• Candibar520
    Candibar520 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2017
    I did 2 rounds (12 days) of steroid packs for my sciatica, and it no longer bothers me. Sleeping with a small memory foam pillow between my knees helped too.

Before that I found sciatica tablets and drops from Vitamin Shoppe that temporarily helped.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    jaymijones wrote: »
    I've plateaued with my current routine and I'm bored anyway. I wanted to try something harder than walking or my elliptical. I want to be outside now that the weather is nicer. I do have a bike, but I really can't use it as a form of exercise where I live now. I used to do it all the time, but I lived right next to a bike trail, in a city that encouraged cycling over cars as a form of transportation. Then I moved and it's not something I have easy access to here. It's the same issue as going to the track. It's too far and too much of a hassle, I want something I can feasibly do. And I wanted it to be running.

Shin splints have always stopped me before. I finally found a solution and now this. I'm very frustrated.

I don't think you need to quit running forever, you just need to deal with the sciatica first. I've been through much worse and am now learning to run again, so it's not impossible. About a dozen years ago I crushed a disc in my back (L4/L5) so badly that it not only caused horrible sciatica, but even with steroids it cut off the sciatic nerve all together and I lost all feeling below my waist (and yes that included some bodily functions we won't discuss). Emergency surgery took care of it, and then 10 years of not doing anything after that added on over a hundred pounds of weight. That landed me here. My first year at MFP I decided to walk 7 days a week, about 4 miles a day and ignored sciatic pain when it happened. I managed to re-herniate the same disc again that they partially removed before and it took me down. After rest and steroids a few weeks later I went back at it again, ignored warnings, and managed to herniate two other discs in my back. Two more rounds of steroids, much rest, many pain killers later, I then eased back into walking slowly, incorporated a lot of yoga stretches into my routine for my discs/spine, and started to work a LOT on my core strength with crunches, planks, squats (body weight only) and took back up walking but took it easy. I've been injury free for over a year now and my core is much much stronger. All I am saying is that you shouldn't ignore it, if it's happening after your walks or runs, then you should take it easy and consult an Ortho doctor. It's likely they will want you walking anyway, but probably not running for a while until it heals. The steroid shots suck but they will heal it usually in a few weeks. But you have to work on your core, for that I suggest planks mostly, crunches if you can do them, and anything else you can do safely to build muscle in your core/abdomen and back.

I don't plan to ignore it, I don't know if that I could ignore it if I wanted to. I walked my kids to and from school today as per usual and my pain went from easy to ignore with Tylenol, to prescription strength Motrin isn't touching it. I'll make an appointment as soon as I can. But again I'm not really expecting my Dr to help me. I'll be lucky if I even get an appointment before June. I'm sure he'll send me to see a PT if I insist, but it will still be through the military clinic on base, and I'm not expecting much help there either.
  • jaymijones
    Also I've been working on my core strength since just after having my last baby. He split my abs wide open, so I've had to be vey careful how I go about it. I've got the gap mostly closed now, and I guess I assumed that meant my core was strong enough. It's definitely stronger than it was. But I still can't do most traditional core exercises without modification.
  • jaymijones
    I made an appointment today and was pleasantly surprised when they gave me an urgent care appointment! The Dr I saw was not one I had seen before, the Primary Physican I had been seeing moved a few months ago. He found my symptoms strange because they fit both a pinched nerve and sore muscle, while at the same time not really fitting either issues completely. He also said he doesn't think it has anything to do with running and told me to keep running, he said that last part several times, He checked my hip and spine alignment and said one of my hips and part of my spine is way out of algnment.

He gave me some adjustments, gave me some stretches and exercises to do, and wants me to come back every few days for more adjustments.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I hope the adjustments help! I'm familiar with the pain, and it sucks. Easily some of the worst pain I've ever felt. I had a nurse once ask me the "on a scale from 1 to 10..." I told her that if she cut my leg off it would hurt less. She said "That's a 10!" and went to get me morphine.

I had a doctor make mine worse by trying to "adjust" my back. That was shortly before the surgery. Seems like many doctors are amateur chiropractors so be careful there. If it helps, great, if it gets any worse stop and go see an Ortho. I hope they can help you, and it's great they told you not to stop running. I know there are some instances where the piriformis can be irritated and swell and cause pinching of the sciatic nerve without actually having disc problems. I was told that's somewhat rare but happens more often with runners. I thought the second time around that's what was wrong with mine, but it turned out to be the discs again. I kept walking/jogging and did stretches to help the piriformis release and managed to be down in excruciating pain again after the MRI revealed it was a disc again. An Ortho will probably want an MRI to see if you have bulging discs. Hopefully it won't get to that point but you'll have to be the judge of that.
  • jaymijones
    edited April 2017
    I'm willing to believe its that my hips are out of alignment. He said it's probably a direct result of 4 pregnancies. That absolutely makes sense. The pain is only on one side, and that side is the one where my hip is REALLY off. Most of my kids favored that side while in utero, one of them would jam her shoulder against that hip, get her feet against my rib cage on the other side, and then push on both, like she was trying to make room to stretch out. Another kid sat on the hip in question for what felt like the whole 9 months, I actually have more stretch marks and lose skin on that side than the other because of it. That combined with the relaxin hormone that losens the ligaments to allow the hips to separate in perpetration for child birth, all caused my hips to be where they are not supposed to be.

Since most of the adjustments he did dealt directly with my hips, I'm not too worried. He said if this doesn't start working he'll send me for X-rays and physical therapy. And honestly it makes sense based on other issues I've had that I didn't realize could be related. For instance my hip always pops when I do leg lifts, it's not painful but it only happens on one side, and is frankly annoying. Also my back tends to hurt right where he said it would for misaligned hips.

He said he could confidently rule out a herniated disk, and that he's pretty sure it's just a muscle that was already angry about the misalignment, and the running just made it angry enough that I finally noticed it.
  • jaymijones
    edited April 2017
    I hope the adjustments help! I'm familiar with the pain, and it sucks. Easily some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

Meh, at it's worst I wouldn't put my pain any higher than maybe a 6. I can't ignore it, and it's definitely uncomfortable, but I've experienced worse.

I'm sorry you had it that bad, it's good to hear you finally found a solution.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I had pain in mine and got rid of it in a couple of days w/ rest, stretching and ice. Look up "pigeon pose".
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I hope the adjustments help! I'm familiar with the pain, and it sucks. Easily some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

Meh, at it's worst I wouldn't put my pain any higher than maybe a 6. I can't ignore it, and it's definitely uncomfortable, but I've experienced worse.

I'm sorry you had it that bad, it's good to hear you finally found a solution.

Yup that's good that it's tolerable. If he can rule out the disc that's also a good thing. I can also see hip alignment being an issue after 4 pregnancies. I hope he gets it straightened out (no pun intended) for you!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I'm willing to believe its that my hips are out of alignment. He said it's probably a direct result of 4 pregnancies. That absolutely makes sense. The pain is only on one side, and that side is the one where my hip is REALLY off. Most of my kids favored that side while in utero, one of them would jam her shoulder against that hip, get her feet against my rib cage on the other side, and then push on both, like she was trying to make room to stretch out. Another kid sat on the hip in question for what felt like the whole 9 months, I actually have more stretch marks and lose skin on that side than the other because of it. That combined with the relaxin hormone that losens the ligaments to allow the hips to separate in perpetration for child birth, all caused my hips to be where they are not supposed to be.

Since most of the adjustments he did dealt directly with my hips, I'm not too worried. He said if this doesn't start working he'll send me for X-rays and physical therapy. And honestly it makes sense based on other issues I've had that I didn't realize could be related. For instance my hip always pops when I do leg lifts, it's not painful but it only happens on one side, and is frankly annoying. Also my back tends to hurt right where he said it would for misaligned hips.

He said he could confidently rule out a herniated disk, and that he's pretty sure it's just a muscle that was already angry about the misalignment, and the running just made it angry enough that I finally noticed it.

Carrying your wee ones (ex utero) on one hip will contribute to it, too. Even though he has given you the o.k. to continue to run, keep working on your core and (lateral) hip strength as well to provide stability.
  • jaymijones
    mitch16 wrote: »

Carrying your wee ones (ex utero) on one hip will contribute to it, too. Even though he has given you the o.k. to continue to run, keep working on your core and (lateral) hip strength as well to provide stability.

That's the plan.

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    I persisted running back when I was really in shape, even though I always felt a pain in my right knee. I thought it was my form so I tried to correct it, without success. Researched the best ways to warm up and stretch after, didn't change anything. I thought it might go away on its own but it never did. Eventually the pain started getting into my hip, and then in my lower back. I stopped and things got better but I still have trouble with my knee to this day (5 years later). I don't care much for it now and I prefer being active in other ways, such as walking, biking, doing bodyweight training at home and yoga from YouTube. The whole point of exercising is to improve your abilities and running did the opposite for me, all in all it wasn't worth it and I wish I would have listened to my body.

This is just my experience, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to whom this happened.

Good luck either way! I wish things work out for you, but if they don't, don't wait too long until permanent damage is done. oxox
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    If you're getting sciatic pain you probably want to consult your doctor as well.

Mine ended up with needing an L5 - S1 decompression surgery.
  • jaymijones
    edited April 2017
    If you're getting sciatic pain you probably want to consult your doctor as well.

I did, he determined that my hips are out of alignment, he recommended more stretching, regular adjustments, and continued running.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member

My hips were out of alignment too when I was competing. After they "set me straight" my hip displaced/dislocated on the final lap in the national 3000m. Holy hell pain, it literally took my breath away. Still finished, terribly... but finished. Took me 6 weeks of PT. ick.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 2017
    Im prepared for the haters on this one, but this ol Army Running Cadence always helped me

I've got PAIN! (PAIN!)
    In my feet (In my feet)
    Suck it up (Suck it up)
    Drive on (Drive on)

PAIN! (PAIN!)
    In my knees (In my knees)
    Suck it up (Suck it up)
    Drive on (Drive on)

PAIN! (PAIN!)
    In my legs (In my legs)
    Suck it up (Suck it up)
    Drive on (Drive on)

I've got PAIN! (PAIN!)
    In my hips (In my hips)
    PAIN! (PAIN!)
    In my chest (In my chest)
    PAIN! (PAIN!)
    In my neck (In my neck)
    Suck it up (Suck it up)
    Driving on (Driving on)

haha but in reality, try to find the source of the issue, pre existing issues or injuries that might be getting flared up. Maybe you might need something for nerve pain to help reduce the pain. You will likely need to seek medical advice and guidance with any type of nerve pain that will not go away.
  • jaymijones
    edited April 2017
    brittyn3 wrote: »

My hips were out of alignment too when I was competing. After they "set me straight" my hip displaced/dislocated on the final lap in the national 3000m. Holy hell pain, it literally took my breath away. Still finished, terribly... but finished. Took me 6 weeks of PT. ick.

Youch!

Did they happen to give you recommendations for avoiding that ever happening again?

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member

Stories like yours always makes me proud of the human spirit!

I knew a warrant officer who passed his 2 mile PT test run and had a collapsed lung (was unaware). He was a beast for sure to pass a APFT with a collapsed lung speaks volumes on what one is capable of given the right mindset.

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member

Stories like yours always makes me proud of the human spirit!

I knew a warrant officer who passed his 2 mile PT test run and had a collapsed lung (was unaware). He was a beast for sure to pass a APFT with a collapsed lung speaks volumes on what one is capable of given the right mindset.

I don't deserve that much credit. I couldn't imagine functioning with a collapsed run. Oh man!