Food prep "meats"..

Options
I want to start meal prepping. But the meat part i am not sure about. I was told 4 days in the fridge cooked. I do not want to have to throw it out. Do any members meap prep meats and how long do you keep it in the fridge.

Thanks

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you know that meat is going to be out for longer than is safe, you can freeze it, and then put it in the fridge the night before to thaw. I'm not a huge meat eater so I typically don't have enough to last that long, but this is what my parents do.

Edit: Sometimes they also just heat it up right out of the freezer if it's not as prone to drying out (like a higher fat ground beef). Not sure of quality with that tactic, don't live there anymore and they didn't have to freeze when my brother and I were around.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion with the freezing in the post above.

Also, you can maybe do two smaller preps per week so you don't run into that issue?

For example, on Sunday - prep food for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wednesday - prep food for Thursday and Friday.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do a split like the previous poster said. I'm very paranoid about meats going bad.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I must have a strong stomach because I've eaten cooked meat that has been in my fridge - up to 7-8-9 days. LOL Of course, I was raised not to waste any food, it's hard to not utilize everything. ***Freezing works.

Normally I only meal prep for about 4 to 5 days at a time. :smiley:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I typically prep for 4-5 days at a time. I do it on Saturday then work Sunday through sometimes Thursday. I find boiling chicken helps it not be dry when reheated.
  • cardarsteph
    cardarsteph Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just bought a chest freezer and I'm pre-portioning much of my meats with labels so I just pull out what I need. I'm at home and my husband works, so I pack the leftovers from that night for the following days lunch, for him.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do a bunch of shredded chicken breast and freeze them. I had my last portion from a month ago lol. Freezing is a lifesaver!
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So maybe cook my meats and freeze them in portions would be better??
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So maybe cook my meats and freeze them in portions would be better??

Yeah that's what I do. I portion and weigh out 6 oz per ziplock bag so. (3 oz each of chicken salads, chicken sandwiches, chicken and rice etc chicken whatever) I transfer one bag at a time to the fridge the night before I have it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's still good longer, but what I do is I have half a breast at dinner but I cook the whole thing and add to my salad and veg for lunch the next day. I'm making it for dinner so it's not more extra work to pack a little lunch. I also can't eat reheated chicken because it smells like a wet dog to me lol
  • projectalice13
    projectalice13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I typically prep for 4-5 days with meat, but feel perfectly fine eating it 7-8 days out if I know it was properly cooked (all the way through) and properly stored (cold, well-functioning refrigerator). Have yet to get poisoning from this.