Those who've been at this awhile... do you get sick if you cheat?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I had something like this happen once, fairly early on. I had lost most of my weight at that point - I was maybe 9 months in. One evening I ate a large quantity of food that I had largely avoided - I don't remember what, exactly. The next day I started feeling sicker and sicker at work. I wasn't sure what was going on. I eventually decided to go home, and even had to stop along the way to vomit. I made it home and took to my bed. After using the facilities several times and feeling sick as a dog for some hours, I started to come around. I felt better the next day. It's possible it was a bug, but it felt...digestive, you know?

Since then, I haven't had too much of that. I don't really restrict all that much, and kind of bounce around between maintaining and losing a little bit. I don't attribute my sickness to the quality of the food as much as the fact that I wasn't used to eating what I ate.

My advice would be not too cut foods out entirely, especially if you plan to eat them again, not cut too aggressively, and not go too far overboard.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    If I eat a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig amount of food, sure, I feel sick, but that happened when I wasn't counting calories, too.

If I eat a bunch but it's not some giant binge - but it's notably beyond my general way of eating - I don't usually feel sick.
  • nwilson5500
    nwilson5500 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me, I've been trying to eat more fresh foods and less processed. So when I have a cheat meal it usually turns into a cheat day and then I become sick. I get horrible stomach cramps. I think it may be the grease, or just your body is t use to it anymore.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Nope. ;)
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    It sounds like you may have encountered food poisoning.

^This is what I was going to say.

Nope not food poisoning because it happens every time I have a whole day of sweets and fast food, some times it's not as extreme, but the other day was by far the worst! My hubby reminded me of devouring tons of a cookie cake, so that may have been enough to throw my intestines into a mood. I've had stomach flu etc which I hear can be as bad as food poisoning, and this wasn't that bad... close though

Have you talked to your doctor about it? That doesn't sound healthy.
  • syousaf571
    syousaf571 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey, in a good diet, there will be no need for a cheat day. Diets aren't about restricting yourself; ultimately, it all comes down to eating in moderation. You want that slice of cake? Have it. It's not going to hurt you. In fact, you should incorporate the things you love (while fitting it in your total calorie needs). In time you will realize you're not going to have "those days".
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Write a letter to yourself describing in detail how you feel after you eat too much of food that doesn't agree with you. Put it on your refrigerator. Read it the next time you are tempted to eat this way.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    there was a period of time when i ate clean religiously - i had "cheat meals" then, but after a while even they were clean and i had to make them myself so i knew what was in them. I was convinced that i was lactose intolerant, gluten made me bloat, anything processed with additives or preservatives etc would make me sick, so I didn't eat that stuff.

....when i started incorporating a bigger variety of foods back in to my diet, i had reactions. dairy would send me to the bathroom in about a minute. i'd feel like I was going to be sick eating fried food. I could put myself in a food coma with too many "bad" carbs. .....Because my body wasn't used to processing them, or processing in the amounts I was giving it. i persisted though, because i didn't want to be stuck in a restricted diet forever.

I can include anything and everything now in moderation with no side effects whatsoever, because I don't restrict anything or see food as good or bad (because a lot of the problem is mental in my opinion).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten sick from eating. I don't have a restrictive diet and cheat days though.
    I eat regular food, fast food, desserts in appropriate quantities for my goal.

Keep it to smaller amounts and you'd probably be fine.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that you have a sensitivity to a particular food that isn't in your ordinary diet but IS in your "off-the-rails" days. Which are impossible for us to analyze because your diary is private.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you have small quantities of the foods you want to cheat on everyday or once a week, your body will get use to them and tolerate them better when you do have them in a larger quantity. I can remember as a teen having a very low fat very low sugar diet for about 6 months and one day I broke and had an ice cream cone after being very strict for so long. I had stomach pain for hours after.

These days I have a more 'everything in moderation' so I don't get sick from ice cream anymore.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    It sounds like you may have encountered food poisoning.

^This is what I was going to say.

unless you have experienced it...yah I could see why you would say this but it's not...

How do you know? OP hasn't replied back and unless she's PMing you, you're guessing as much as the rest of us.

I don't get sick from over eating. I actually feel great after an IDGAF day.

How do I know based on what was in the first Post...so no I am not guessing actually and now that she has responded you know too...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,167 Member
    Options
    Do you get sick if you cheat?

No.

1) I don't cheat.
    2) I include a variety of foods in my diet.
    3) I do take planned diet breaks every so often ... every 16 weeks when I first started, and more frequently since reaching my goal. While I do eat more on a diet break, I don't go overboard. I don't like feeling full and just simply don't want to go overboard.

However, that said, there are certain foods that don't sit well with me.

Milk/cream in very small amounts is OK, but it doesn't take much to upset me. I can have one mocha coffee with whipped cream on top, but two will upset me. I can have a very small container of chocolate mousse or pudding, but anything more than that will upset me. And if I have a dinner with garlic bread and real butter, an alfredo sauce, and something with cream/ice cream for dessert ... you'd better clear a path to the toilet because I'm on my way!

Peanut make me feel really bloated and gassy.

Tree nuts loosen me up. If I'm ever constipated, a good handful of tree nuts will clear that problem right up.

And mushrooms and peppers leave me feeling queasy with indigestion.

So, maybe you've got a list of foods that don't sit well with you.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If I could change one thing, it would be to remove moral labels from food/eating. No good/bad foods, no clean/junk and no "cheating". So, OP, because of that, I can't answer your question the way it was asked. I will say that if I eat too much of almost anything, I can get queasy. I love cabbage and it is very low calorie, but if I eat too much I pay for it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes if I eat a large quantity of food I get a stomach ache. Usually I only allow myself a cheat meal but even then I have had stomach distress from it. I'm kind of glad because it means I have gotten my stomach back down to a normal size which is why I now feel full much faster.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yes. I haven't eaten anything fried in a couple months because as a short female I don't have a lot of calories to play with and it's usually not worth the calories to me, but I ate whatever I wanted last night and ended up eating fried chicken tenders and a some bites of fried dessert as well and overate which I haven't done in awhile and I felt like crap the rest of the night! Bloated, borderline nauseous:( Not fun and happy to be back to my new normal of eating today;)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nope. Fried foods, sweets - none bother me.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it was definitely a thing for me in the past when I avoided highly processed foods.
  • dashawn02
    dashawn02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When was your first cheat meal after you start your diet