You know what's not motivational and supportive? Loose skin. Kittens to hell.... /whining

Options
Nothing I can do but keep getting my fit on. No amount of muscle is going to fix this. Deep breath. I'm paying a price for the sloth and gluttony of my life. Poor eating habits as a child turn into poor eating habits as an adult, and by the time you figure it out it's too late. There's no coming back from being fat it seems.

I can't imagine what my life would have been had I never been fat. So much wasted potential. Like a star that never burned. No one "likes" the fat guy, and no one is going to like the guy covered in wrinkled up skin either. This is why we need to fix the obesity epidemic for the younger generation. Being fat will ruin your life, and there is a whole fat culture right now destroying our youth. It's too late for me.

Don't be me. Don't get fat. This is horrible. It krinkles. Everywhere. At the bottom of the bicep. On the inner thigh. Along my torso where my love handles were.

Deep breath.

It's still worth getting fit and staying fit. I'm not 100% why sometimes, but I know it is. Can't stop now. Better to be ugly from loose skin than ugly from being fat. I'll say my prayer's to god that this hideous mess tightens up over time with good nutrition and taking care of health.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Nothing I can do but keep getting my fit on. No amount of muscle is going to fix this. Deep breath. I'm paying a price for the sloth and gluttony of my life. Poor eating habits as a child turn into poor eating habits as an adult, and by the time you figure it out it's too late. There's no coming back from being fat it seems.

I can't imagine what my life would have been had I never been fat. So much wasted potential. Like a star that never burned. No one "likes" the fat guy, and no one is going to like the guy covered in wrinkled up skin either. This is why we need to fix the obesity epidemic for the younger generation. Being fat will ruin your life, and there is a whole fat culture right now destroying our youth. It's too late for me.

Don't be me. Don't get fat. This is horrible. It krinkles. Everywhere. At the bottom of the bicep. On the inner thigh. Along my torso where my love handles were.

Deep breath.

It's still worth getting fit and staying fit. I'm not 100% why sometimes, but I know it is. Can't stop now. Better to be ugly from loose skin than ugly from being fat. I'll say my prayer's to god that this hideous mess tightens up over time with good nutrition and taking care of health.

Battle scars, friend. Battle scars. But you're on the other side of it. That's something to be proud of.

I lost 90lbs. I'm facing the consequences of past decisions. But I did something about my unhealthy eating. I can run, jump, escape from zombies. I can carry my 114lb teenage daughter if I needed to. I'll never wear a bikini. But my one-piece is rockin'! I'm strong as hell. So eff the stretch marks. I honestly don't care about them any more. What is, is. But my husband couldn't be happier. He has better things to do than look at the scars on the skin. :wink:
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I will most likely never have a daughter/child or another wife/SO because of said battle scars. It's been a very bitter pill to swallow for a very long time. Somedays I am at peace with it. Others, like today, I am not. Deep breath. Calm. Monty Python did a great song about looking at the bright side of life, I think I'll give a whistle.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I will most likely never have a daughter/child or another wife/SO because of said battle scars. It's been a very bitter pill to swallow for a very long time. Somedays I am at peace with it. Others, like today, I am not. Deep breath. Calm. Monty Python did a great song about looking at the bright side of life, I think I'll give a whistle.

I think you're selling yourself a little short here. I looked at the profile pic. You've got some things working in your favor.

Take your moment to express frustration and then move forward. There are worse things in the world than excess skin, and tons of people would take a good personality, someone who will treat them well, and any number of other traits, even if that comes with excess skin, extra weight, etc.

As others have mentioned, confidence is attractive. From your weight loss success, it's sounds like you have a lot to be proud of. Channel the things you are happy about or proud of and let them be the thing that people remember you for. All is not lost. Don't give up.

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Well... I'm proud of you. I've read your posts and you seem like a genuinely cool, caring guy. There is someone out there for you and that person will show up when you least expect it!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I gave the thread a bit of a wrong vibe. Most days I could care less what women think of me. Whats frustrating is that the leaner I get, the more wrinkled the skin is. Aesthetically, for ME, it is like moving backwards. Instead of looking better in the mirror, in some ways it is looking worse. I'm not off track or anything. My plan to get very lean and maintain it is still moving forward at a solid pace, but the reality is setting in that the skin issues are more significant than I originally thought. All i can do is hope it gets better on its own. Sure I could get surgery, but I can think of better things to spend 20k and 2 months on :) so.... Deep breath. It's a little disappointing to get so far through the rat race to find the cheese is half rotten at the end. Eating the good parts is all I can do and its a bit humiliating i didn't get there sooner, because now it really is too late.

Don't let kids be fat. Fat kids turn into fat adults. Then this happens.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. I gained 70+ lbs when I was pregnant (so over the course of 9 months) and it ruined the skin around my abdomen and upper thighs.

I have tons of stretch marks and a lot of loose skin :( I'm happy to have lost the weight but I know genetics aren't in my favor in terms of losing the excess skin. It's weird to literally tuck your skin into your shorts... I am also skeptical about surgery because of cost and recovery time.

I never had serious weight issues prior to pregnancy beyond being underweight from disordered habits / compulsions, and then slightly overweight (in a YoYo pattern). I'm really determined to not let "weight" be a focus for my child as it was for my husband and I to varying outcomes. We are just focusing on not keeping junk in the house, exposing our son to a variety of nutritious foods, and keeping him very active (which he loves... I imagine all toddlers just want to run around and swim all day, so this is not a challenge). I agree it's much easier to never develop weight issues than it is to try and fix them later -- so true with so many things.
  • alaskandelight
    alaskandelight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dude, do I ever relate. This issue was actually a major reason why I stopped working so hard on losing weight. I lost 130lbs and was completely overwhelmed by the excess skin. Since I have been overweight since age 3, I don't know what my healthy weight is. My BMI indicates that I need to lose 190lbs from my heaviest. :neutral: I just couldn't keep going and have the skin get even worse. I even told people this to excuse both my reduced dedication and the sag. So I "maintained" for a while and gradually, over time (2.5 years) I started to gain weight back. I don't think all of it is fat because I didn't go totally off the rails, I'm shaped, strong and did keep up a active lifestyle. I do know that I have bad food intuition/patterns (again see childhood) and I lost track of my mindfulness. During this time some of the skin retracted (I literally do tons of things to help with this because I hate it) and the rest of it filled in when I gained 50lbs back. I was kind of happy and sad about this. Now that I've refocused my efforts (-10lbs) I'm pretty excited to see the signs of loose skin again. Part of this issue is mental. Even when I was at my lowest, I still couldn't see past the skin. Man, do I wish I could tell me then to not worry about it and keep going. A big part of this journey is processing and healing. You have to remember that no matter your size, you will always be the same person. Even if you get skin removal and there is scarcely a trace that you were once overweight, you will always have the scars from the ordeal on the inside. You have to put time in on acknowledging and healing those. Love comes at the most unexpected time and in the most unexpected form, but taking the proactive effort to love yourself first is going to make it easier for you to maintain a long term relationship. Keep up the good fight!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Never say never :) You could also find someone who went through the same thing as you with excess skin and all- but being negative about your own may shut down that person from opening up about their experience. Try to stay positive, and keep rocking your battle scars because it takes a LOT of time, dedication, consistency, and perseverance to do what you did- and those are important relationship traits as well :)

Good luck!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I will most likely never have a daughter/child or another wife/SO because of said battle scars.

However you feel about yourself, take solace in the fact that this snippet^ is 100% bullcrap. :smile:
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Not really. I'm self aware enough to know that I don't fit the bill for the people I'm interested in. As mentioned earlier, it's a bitter pill that took a long time to swallow. I instead fill my free time on my health, career, and hobbies and have found personal fulfillment far beyond that I have ever found in a relationship. A family and the american dream would have been nice, but just like everyone else I have standards. Maybe one day I'll get "lucky" and find someone who meshes with my standards and I mesh with theirs, but holding my breath would be a losing game.

This thread isn't about my dating or lack of, and it was wrong of me to include it. But as the thread was titled, I was whining because I've put in a lot of effort to find myself at a place where "hard work" can no longer bring me past.

The context of this thread is that it is highly demotivating that getting very lean also means the unattractive wrinkles in my skin increase with every pound lost. It is frustrating when progress is no longer aesthetic, and arguabley is going in the opposite direction now.
  • alaskandelight
    alaskandelight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Whoa, whoa, whoa....no dude. You are NOT going in the wrong direction. That's your old self-conscious, unhealthy self trying to trick you. DO NOT believe that. That's exactly what screwed me over and set me back...50lbs. Best believe I will not let you pitty party yourself into seeing your future accomplishments as a set backs for aesthetics. It didn't take you a day gain to get here and it's gonna take some time to adjust. Start looking at methods for promoting circulation and toning skin (coconut oil, skin brushing, biotin supplement, compression wear, avoiding parabens in your body wash and shampoo....). These little things may not fix things 100%, but you will feel better just knowing you're trying to manage the situation. Go to some fancy cosmetic shops and flirt with girls while they consult you on the best skin reducing products they got. (which may or may not be bogus.) Yeah, they will be trying to sell you things, but I have noooo doubt they will be really impressed that you are willing to be vulnerable (usually only women bring these thing up in shops like this) and tell you how awesome you are to get where you are! Maybe you need to hear that from someone in person. This may be pushing it, but hey two for one...ladies and toning! ;-)

Standards are good...and it's ok to rant, but there is always hope!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I think all of us go through reflective times saying what if - I know I do.
    A little wallow is fine. Glad it is off your chest. Now on with life.

You know who you may have been and you know who you are now. It sounds as though you are doing fine.

Cheers, h.
  • LeeBGoode
    LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    After my last relationship ended, I had a realization that there are things about me that reduce the size of my dating pool. At first, this launched me into despair. But now, I'm glad for it. I will need nothing less than an open minded, kind, caring person. Nothing sad about that :smile:
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited April 2017
    Options
    mila_lova wrote: »
    Women are not objects here to please you.

Sorry I get really touchy about this stuff.

Nor are men. You can't assume what my standards are or if they are even physical. If you think the standards imposed on women are more harsh, you have not paid attention to what the modern dating scene is like. Both genders are completely out of their mind, and I'd much rather be by myself than pander to the vast majority of them. Do not blame men because I promise you the problem of unrealistic standards by sub-par people is not gender specific.

I would delete this thread now if I could. To re-iterate, I was complaining about the loose skin for my own aesthetic reasons. It's only a byproduct that it is un-aesthetic to others. It would have been nice for the skin to tighten up and to have a killer bod. That's all. It's not happening.

Fat children is child abuse.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    you can ask the mods to delete if you wish
    good luck and well done