How much mileage did you get out of your "beginner" workout?

Options
Hi there.

I started lifting in Neovember of '15 (I've had experience previously, but 3-6 months at a time throughout the last 10 years or so).

I started with a modified version of a beginner workout that had some popularity on another forum. The modifications were made for convenience and as a way to mitigate pre-existing injuries in my knees and shoulders. My workout below:

1. dumbbell bent rows. Starting weight - 25lbs x 2 x10 | Current weight - 70lbs x 2 x 8
2. chest press (free motion). Starting weight 100lbs x 2 x 10 | Current weight - 240lbs x 2 x 8
3. tricep pushdown. Starting weight 50lbs x 2 x 10 | Current weight - 100lbs x 2 x 8
4. seated bicep curl (preacher machine) Starting weight 50lbs x 2 x 10 | Current weight - 140 x 2 x 8
5. leg press. Starting weight 100lbs x2 x 10 | Current weight 280lbs x 2 x 8
6. calf raise. Starting weight 80lbs x2 x 12 | Current weight 220lbs x 2 x 15

Notable missing - shoulders. I do inner and outer roations for my rotator cuffs but I don't do any direct shoulder work. I have some injury that makes lifting in general a source of potential injury (posterior labral tear and degeneration of my rc) so I don't push myself.

While I certainly never hit my goal weight - I've had serious bouts of not following through on my diet for months and months - I've consistently performed this workout twice a week. I've had small breaks (no more than 7-10 days), I've had weeks of only one session, but I never stopped lifting. I can say I'm significantly stronger, and visually look different (I'm still a fat guy, but I can see the results of my lifting - especially as I've started to drop fat again).

In terms of progress - I have had steady improvement the whole time. Typically the exercises are supposed to be performed in 5 week cycles starting at reps of 8 and moving to sets of 12 before adding ~10%. I have intentionally delayed progression until I feel that I'm performing the movement with reasonable form and minimal pain. I can say that any delays in progression of been a decision on my part more than a failure to gain the needed strength to progress.

Just curious what your results have been - and if this is working for me am I setting myself back by not adding volume and changing it up?

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm in my fourth program in a year and a half and at this point I'm quite happy with my progress. I'm still trying to cut fat so my lifts haven't progressed as fast as they could have. I've been as consistent as possible, at times my work limits me from being in the gym when I'm on the road.

I still have a ways to go but I am definitely stronger and much healthier at this point. In the beginning I had some pain issues with old shoulder injuries but the more lifting I have done the better they have gotten.

As for progressing, work within your physical limits and add weight when you can. Only you can make that decision.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I ran Starting Strength after cardiac surgery and went from just the bar (45lbs) on all exercises and in nine months got to:
    • Squat: 250 x 3 x 5
    • Bench: 180 x 3 x 5
    • Seated press: 115 x 3 x 5
    • Deadlift 280 x 5

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i stuck with stronglifts for over a year. i had various setbacks and deloads-to-work-more-on-my-form though, and i wasn't really super ambitious either. i just liked lifting and i liked the format. and i'd get absorbed in the little localized body problems, so ymmv. i was happy enough just kind of pootling around in the scenic-route lane.

after i found a trainer we kept the same lifts and went 3x5 for another year. and THEN under his influence i progressed as far as my upper limits with linear style and we went to wendler last year. now i'm somewhere between pootling and serious doing wendler, but again there have been health things and life and all that on the way.

i dont' seem to switch programs unless or until i can conceive of a reason for them. it's like road trips. i'm one of those people wehre even if i have the yen to take one, i have to think up a destination and a 'theme' first before i'll get off the couch and go hunt for my keys.