Ways to avoid saggy/loose skin as I lose

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
I've never been as big as I am currently (199 lbs) and 5'4. In my quest to drop back down to the approximately 130-140 lbs that I previously was, I'm quite paranoid about getting saggy/loose skin as I lose weight. Besides strength training and drinking plenty of water, what other tips do you have to avoid this?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I had lost 40 lbs previously (slow and steady weight loss) and didn't get any loose skin, so I don't think one is destined to have it, since it didn't happen to me previously. Maybe that has to do with age and the elasticity of my skin? I don't know. However, I'm determined to not have it happen to me this time either.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    nothing works but time if you have the right genetics, or surgery. some times skin shrinks back, sometimes it doesn't. Its your body, if it turns out you have saggy skin, thats ok, you will still be beautiful.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »
    I had lost 40 lbs previously (slow and steady weight loss) and didn't get any loose skin, so I don't think one is destined to have it, since it didn't happen to me previously. Maybe that has to do with age and the elasticity of my skin? I don't know. However, I'm determined to not have it happen to me this time either.

That's your answer then!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Your skin may recover as well this time as it did last time, but keep in mind you are a few years older (the structure of collagen changes as one ages) and yoyoing down-up-down in just a few years has put extra stress on your skin.

Collagen and elastin are both proteins, so getting enough protein in your diet may help in skin recovery. Keeping active will help with circulation, this helps with efficient cell turnover and nutrient delivery, this may also help in skin recovery. But when it comes down to it, it is genetics and how much you have abused your skin which will determine the recovery.

I do think losing slower helps in skin recovery because there is a greater chance that one is getting a good nutrient dense diet with plenty of protein.

Some people take a collagen supplement, I do not know if this helps.

Cheers, h.
  • tifarahmonteith
    tifarahmonteith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    vjambois wrote: »
    I don't have any advice to give but I just wanted to say thank you for the proper use of the words "lose" and "loose". :smiley:

Yes... yes, for the love of God, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :D