Do I need to change my diet or workouts or both?

Options
Hello ALL! I need to recap, regroup, and redirect (if need be), what I am trying to achieve at this point.

Currently...
11 months pp
143 lbs (5ft 5in)
BMI - 24
Lifting - 2/3x week - 8 lb & 10 lb weights
Cardio - 3/4x week - 30-45 min each session
Eating - 1600 calories/day
MFP setting - 1 lb/week loss & Active activity level

Goal...
125/130 lbs or attempt to be 130 lbs (including 5 lbs of muscle)

So I wanted to achieve my goal by next month---not going to happen. I keep going back and forth between 142-144 lbs for the past few months. I've been consistent with the above eating and workouts for around 6 months now. For cardio I usually go running, run on the treadmill, do T25, Fitness Blender, calisthenics, Taebo, Popsugar, HIIT...basically it depends on my mood/allotted time. For weights I usually follow a monthly challenge of some sort, do Fitness Blender, or follow some chart I found on Pinterest. Also, I normally go over my allotted calories by 100/150, maybe once or twice a week.

So the question is... are any adjustments needed in my caloric intake, cardio routine, or weight lifting to achieve my goal? For example, should I be eating more or lifting heavier.

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well the good news is you seem to have found your maintenance, so while it is frustrating to not see the results you want at least you know where you are right now.

If you are not losing that would fall somewhere into your CICO being incorrect, which usually boils down to you are eating more than you think or burning less than you think. You can crack down on your logging in both areas and see if that sorts it out. Are you weighing foods and how are you estimating exercise calories, and how much of the exercise are you eating back? Or you can just keep logging the way you currently are and decrease calories some. Keep in mind you only have 10-15lbs to go so you should be trying to lose fairly slowly, don't go all crazy and starve yourself or anything.

If you are more concerned with how you look than reaching the magic number on the scale then I don't think it would hurt to lift heavier. There are lots of great threads about that on the fitness and exercise boards or the how to gain weight sections. There are a couple of good beginner programs for heavier lifting, stronglift 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women are the two that come to mind.

If you are really focused on the scale then realize changing your workout routine may cause temporary water weight gain.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do not eat more.

Are you actually eating 1600 calories or are you netting 1600 calories?

I would start by getting on a more challenging progressive resistance program. That means that you increase the amount of weight you use. Using the same 8/10 pounds over and over isn't helping you build muscle. Getting on a progressive lifting program will likely not get the scale moving faster but it will make you smaller.

However if you are purely concerned with scale weight, drop to 1500 calories.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is you seem to have found your maintenance, so while it is frustrating to not see the results you want at least you know where you are right now.

If you are not losing that would fall somewhere into your CICO being incorrect, which usually boils down to you are eating more than you think or burning less than you think. You can crack down on your logging in both areas and see if that sorts it out. Are you weighing foods and how are you estimating exercise calories, and how much of the exercise are you eating back? Or you can just keep logging the way you currently are and decrease calories some. Keep in mind you only have 10-15lbs to go so you should be trying to lose fairly slowly, don't go all crazy and starve yourself or anything.

If you are more concerned with how you look than reaching the magic number on the scale then I don't think it would hurt to lift heavier. There are lots of great threads about that on the fitness and exercise boards or the how to gain weight sections. There are a couple of good beginner programs for heavier lifting, stronglift 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women are the two that come to mind.

If you are really focused on the scale then realize changing your workout routine may cause temporary water weight gain.

This^^^^

Unfortunately weight loss/gain is not linear and I experienced the same thing. You cut, workout and drop weight and eventually your body is smart enough to catch up and you create a new setpoint, or maintenance level. If you are not losing, 4legs is correct, CICO is not equaling a deficit and you need to make sure you are counting your macros accurately and consistent with your workouts. Lift heavy and try to put on some muscle, focus on what you see in the mirror, not the scale. Goodluck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely change your strength program. Focus on going heavier, using progressive overload on compound movements
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    @4legsRbetterthan2

Hmmmmm…maintenance…I’ve never thought about that. If I did stumble on this it was definitely accidental. As far as tracking food—no I do not weigh it; I use the scanner and for meats and other “odd” items I go online and eyeball what an ounce or two looks like. I am not opposed to using it I just didn’t want to get that particular about this process…but maybe I need to. For exercise calories I use what my Fitbit says, however I do not aim to eat back any calories (I guess I “eat them back” by going over the allotted 1600 around once or twice a week) but I’m not concerned really with what it says I burn.

I definitely don’t want to go below 1600, I mean if I have to I will, but I am already stretching it because some days I for real need more food (this probably has to do with WHAT I'm eating) but I just forego it to achieve what I need to. Since you mentioned not starving myself then I may need to change to .5lb loss/week and see what calorie allotment that gives me.

I think I am concerned with the “magic number” and how I look. I definitely want to focus on at least getting to 135…or close to it…before I start a serious lifting program. Once I start a program I will just run for fun to get cardio in.

Thanks very much for your input!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    @jemhh…NOTED! I will not eat more than 1600. Thank you for confirming this for me.

What is the difference between eating 1600 and netting1600? I’m not sure which one I am doing. I just log my food until I reach 1600.

From your post it sounds like I need to decide whether I want to lose weight OR look different. I DEFINITELY need to think about that some.

But let me ask you this….if I drop my daily calories to 1500 AND I start a progressive resistance program then what will I be trying to achieve? Maybe this doesn’t make sense but just thought I would ask.
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You're not losing because you're eyeballing portions. When you eye ball you have no way of knowing how many calories you're eating.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    @JJS1979….okay….so it looks like I need a food scale…LOL! When it comes to macros I really don’t even look at them. I strive to hit my protein amount because I am lifting weights…but this doesn’t happen often; but other than that I just focus on my calorie allotment.

Is this wrong???

I think you are right about the mirror. I guess I would just have to get used to if I put on muscle at this point I’ll be getting close to 150 and I “wanted” to be in the 130s and getting closer to 140 with the muscle.

Something to think about. Thank you for your response.
  • tifarahmonteith
    tifarahmonteith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest that you change your daily food diary to public, that way others on this thread can look back through your choices and see what you would typically eat? I agree that the number one focus is to make sure your calories taken in are lower than your calories taken out, but perhaps you're leaving out a specific macro, eating all your calories from junk food, etc.... may provide a little more insight for those looking to help!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. I know it sounds tedious, but that way you will know how much you are actually consuming and it's not like you have to do it forever once you figure it out.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Can I suggest that you change your daily food diary to public, that way others on this thread can look back through your choices and see what you would typically eat? I agree that the number one focus is to make sure your calories taken in are lower than your calories taken out, but perhaps you're leaving out a specific macro, eating all your calories from junk food, etc.... may provide a little more insight for those looking to help!

It should be open...its definitely not closed...but I think you have to be someone's friend to see it right?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Weigh your food. I know it sounds tedious, but that way you will know how much you are actually consuming and it's not like you have to do it forever once you figure it out.

THANK YOU! This may be the missing piece to my puzzle
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

What is the difference between eating 1600 and netting1600? I’m not sure which one I am doing. I just log my food until I reach 1600.

If you are eating 1600 calories then it is assumed you eat that amount every day, so you are shooting for 1600 every day reguardless of exercise. Netting 1600 would be you having a goal of 1600 calories and eating back exercise calories. So if you went for a short run and burned 300 calories and added that to your calorie goal for the day you are really eating 1900 but netting 1600. MFP is designed so your calorie goal is net calories and you eat them back, but you can still use it for other style plans too.

@JJS1979….okay….so it looks like I need a food scale…LOL! When it comes to macros I really don’t even look at them. I strive to hit my protein amount because I am lifting weights…but this doesn’t happen often; but other than that I just focus on my calorie allotment.

Is this wrong???

Not really, IMO macros are more of a personal decision. If you are ok with your plan I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Since you mentioned getting hungry sometimes just know that most people find they stay fuller longer when they eat plenty of protein and fats vs alot of carbs, but some people dont have that issue. I am not advocating you seriously cut carbs, but I do think its good for everyone to do a little experimenting now and then to see of they find tricks that help them out. Play around with meal timing and try to pay attention to which foods make you happy and which ones leave you hungry, the latter you may find less valuable to you and worth incorperating less. Make sure you try to eat a variety of foods and are getting your fruits and veggies in too, veggies are a great way to add food bulk for few calories.

If you decide to try a scale I would start by just weighing your portions for a few days without changing your calorie goal. Just see where you are first, sometimes changing too many variables at once makes an experiment even harder to figure out.

Good luck!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

If you are eating 1600 calories then it is assumed you eat that amount every day, so you are shooting for 1600 every day reguardless of exercise. Netting 1600 would be you having a goal of 1600 calories and eating back exercise calories. So if you went for a short run and burned 300 calories and added that to your calorie goal for the day you are really eating 1900 but netting 1600. MFP is designed so your calorie goal is net calories and you eat them back, but you can still use it for other style plans too.

Is this wrong???

Not really, IMO macros are more of a personal decision. If you are ok with your plan I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Since you mentioned getting hungry sometimes just know that most people find they stay fuller longer when they eat plenty of protein and fats vs alot of carbs, but some people dont have that issue. I am not advocating you seriously cut carbs, but I do think its good for everyone to do a little experimenting now and then to see of they find tricks that help them out. Play around with meal timing and try to pay attention to which foods make you happy and which ones leave you hungry, the latter you may find less valuable to you and worth incorperating less. Make sure you try to eat a variety of foods and are getting your fruits and veggies in too, veggies are a great way to add food bulk for few calories.

If you decide to try a scale I would start by just weighing your portions for a few days without changing your calorie goal. Just see where you are first, sometimes changing too many variables at once makes an experiment even harder to figure out.

Good luck!

I am definitely eating 1600...I don't rely on Fitbit for 100% accuracy...its a wristwatch not a heart monitor. I for sure need to take a look at what keeps me fuller longer...EXCELLENT suggestion. I will consider the scale and do some observation.

This is AWESOME advice. Thank you much!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are you active outside of the exercise that you do?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I would say yes. I am at home all day but I move around a lot, however maybe once a week I have like 5/6k steps in a day. Some days I run errands and some I don't but I am in no way sedentary so maybe slightly to moderately active.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I would say yes. I am at home all day but I move around a lot, however maybe once a week I have like 5/6k steps in a day. Some days I run errands and some I don't but I am in no way sedentary so maybe slightly to moderately active.

Decrease your mfp activity level to slightly/moderately active, add cardio calories back in and eat half of those cardio calories back. The activity multiplier is activity without exercise.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

Decrease your mfp activity level to slightly/moderately active, add cardio calories back in and eat half of those cardio calories back. The activity multiplier is activity without exercise.

Got it. Thank ya!