core exercises with hernia HELP!!!!!

Options
Does anyone know what are some good core exercises i could do that won't do any damage to my hernia while I'm waiting for surgery?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Nope, that is a question only your doctor should answer. In fact i would not do any strength training without first asking them, to avoid making the hernia worse. :+1:
  • Nicole_M4
    Nicole_M4 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Nope, that is a question only your doctor should answer. In fact i would not do any strength training without first asking them, to avoid making the hernia worse. :+1:

I did ask my Dr and got a second opinion they both looked at me strange and said I'm not sure just do what you can if you feel pain don't continue.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I did ask my Dr and got a second opinion they both looked at me strange and said I'm not sure just do what you can if you feel pain don't continue.

I worked out still when I had my hernia "umbilical hernia" to be precise. Didn't do anything to me adversely just be cautious and listen to your body. Probably planking would be better to do for core so your not scrunching your core up around the hernia (depending on what kind or where it is).
  • Nicole_M4
    Nicole_M4 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I worked out still when I had my hernia "umbilical hernia" to be precise. Didn't do anything to me adversely just be cautious and listen to your body. Probably planking would be better to do for core so your not scrunching your core up around the hernia (depending on what kind or where it is).

Thank you. Mine is umbilical as well
  • jpoehls9025
    Options

Thank you. Mine is umbilical as well

aww, brothers in arms (umbilical style) luckily due to the nature of the hernia mine was able to be resolved also without the use of steal mesh. So maybe you will be that fortunate as well, best of luck to you!!
  • verizonkelly4
    verizonkelly4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also dealing with a hernia, though no two doctors have called it the same type. Ventral, inguinal, spiegian one of those. For those whom have had surgery were you able to get back to the gym and live an active life style after surgery ????
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    Also dealing with a hernia, though no two doctors have called it the same type. Ventral, inguinal, spiegian one of those. For those whom have had surgery were you able to get back to the gym and live an active life style after surgery ????

Yes, it hurt for about 2 months after surgery afterwards Miliatary APFT every time no problems!
  • verizonkelly4
    verizonkelly4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You said you had no mesh, how did they repair it?
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    You said you had no mesh, how did they repair it?

The doctor told me post OP that due to the opening in the Umbilical area it was able to be Sealed via "staples" and the tear wasnt large enough for the use of mesh and I had 1/100 chance of occurrence. Post military training later and I can attest he was right no issues later lol