Vitamin Absorption in Bariatric Patients

Options
I'm a bariatric patient and was recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia - ridiculous, I thought, since I take a chewable iron supplement (Ferronyl carbonyl iron/ferrous fumerate with added C to optimize absorption) as well as methlycobalamin (the supposed more useful form of B12), along with a multivitamin and calcium citrate. I did some reading and it turns out that iron absorption is inhibited by calcium. Why the doc didn't simply tell me to take my iron at night and calcium in the morning is beyond me. So I'm going to try this for awhile and see how my next batch of bloodwork comes out.

Replies

• xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My doctor did not tell me this either. I just happened upon it by chance. I have been trying to desperate them. I do bloodwork in a few days and I hope it shows up well.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I take my iron before bed. Super common for patients that had bariatric surgery
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Oh balls. Im severly anemic along with vitamin d and calcium.

I take adcal twice a day, ferrous sulphaye 3 times a day and have to avoid taking any in the morning due to taking levothyroxine

Maybe this is why my levels arnt improving
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also, it helps to take iron with foods rich in Vitamin C: Red peppers, Kale, Broccoli, Strawberries, . . .