Tips to get back on track the very next day?

Options

Replies

• shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been at this for 4 months now and have found if I have a bad meal/day to let it go and get back on track. You can do it too!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I never deprive myself, and I make sure I eat healthily, but I get urges and I have to say no to myself sometimes. Sometimes it sucks, but works, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. But I don't go on and off track anymore. The on track/off track, good/bad, clean/naughty mindset and fear of and guilt for eating something I like, made me regain every time I managed to get my weight down. Not anymore. Just tracking calories, but also keeping an eye on nutrition, was very good for me. Food is morally neutral. It has implications for health, but eating well doesn't make me a better person, eating poorly doesn't make me a bad person.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Bygones. As a preventative measure, trying keeping lots of fruits and veggies already cut up and ready to go and Start with those first when you really wanna eat outside your plan. you'll either be full, bored with the idea of eating more, or will still eat the box of Twinkies.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Your an adult, Pick yourself up dust yourself off and get on with it. You should never feel deprived enough to have to go binge. It honestly helps me to remind my self im a grown *kitten* adult with goals suck it up me

just say no now why didnt i think of that? genius!
    Your an adult, Pick yourself up dust yourself off and get on with it. You should never feel deprived enough to have to go binge. It honestly helps me to remind my self im a grown *kitten* adult with goals suck it up me

Lol. True.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Triplestep wrote: »
    Um, if you could pick yourself up and dust yourself off, or simply put those days behind you, I assume you would have done this already and not written a post asking for help. Right?

I'm in the midst of this myself, and now on day three of "back on track". Here's what I did: Pre-plan, pre-log, and on work days, pre-pack EVERYTHING I intend to eat that day. I was failing at getting back on track because day after day, I'd start out fine, then feel hungry and light-headed by the end of my work day, and buy something unhealthy to eat on the way home. By taking not just lunch but dinner and snacks with me, there's always something to eat that's been planned and logged, even if I'm eating it earlier than I normally would because of hunger pangs.

This is not something I think I can keep up forever, but if I remember correctly, it takes me about two weeks to overcome cravings and feelings of hunger. So I'm keeping my eyes on that prize.

Good luck!

Totally agree.
  • Islander4Life
    Islander4Life Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ^ I know its not great advice for everyone, but its helped stop some over-eating binges for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Log everything. It's harder to be in denial about the impact of your choices when you get big red numbers telling you that you're going to gain 5 pounds.

And do the math, even if you eat 1500 calories over your maintenance (which is probably 3500 calories total or something), you can still have enough of a deficit in a week to lose half a pound. So it's hardly the end of the world... just don't give up.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had a bad day today. I'm just going to get at it again tomorrow. One bad day doesn't mean they all have to be like that.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    No rewards - and no punishments, either, even if in the name of "health." JUST get back to plan. That's it. Don't berate yourself, don't bolster yourself. Take the stress OFF the event, don't give it power. Move on with a normal day.
  • Maio44
    Maio44 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If I'm feeling like I need more to eat, which may lead to eating anything at hand, I make a spicy vege curry. Very low cal, as it's just veges and spices. I use a tomato passata for sauce and if I need to, coconut essence instead of coconut milk to keep the calories as low as possible. If I have a decent number of calories left, I make the real thing! I find spicy food helps curb any cravings for me. It takes time to make, so I know if I'm really actually hungry, or if it's bored-hungry, then by taking the time to make the meal I'm over it. Spices definitely help me. Even just the smell of them cooking helps.

Doesn't help you move on, sorry, but might help next time you get the munchies.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling hungry even after eating I start with low calorie foods. If I can't get full off them it indicates a complete mind game to me. I start with an apple and a glass of water, wait 20 min. Still hungry? String cheese and a glass of tea, 20 min. Still hungry? Protein bar/shake and a glass of water. That almost always does it.

I think the trick is to not put yourself in the situation to begin with. If you want a cupcake, eat the cupcake but eat well the rest of the day and add a little extra activity. You deprive, you'll pay...at least for me.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my binges come from wanting sugar. A strong craving for something really sweet. I will want chocolate or candy, but because I don't keep them in the house and I'm trying to loose weight, I end up eating some toast, then some cucumber and hummus, then some goldfish, then an apple and peanut butter, then.......

Now I find when I have a strong craving for sugar, I just actually get a small portion of what I'm craving and then I feel satisfied! So I split a chocolate bar with my hubby or a small McFlurry and feel that craving gone.....

Not sure if this applies to a lot of people but it does for me.

This is totally me...if I don't give myself a portion of what I'm actually craving I will overeat the *kitten* out of my "healthy foods" and still be over calories...I've learnt to just give myself a little of what I want and then I'm fine and done.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try that salt idea !