So... why the kitten is there soy in everything?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    It doesn't concern me that my packaged food has soy as a common additive. Why does it concern you if you do not have an allergy?

Because we are all ingesting a lot of it, and most of us are unaware.

We shouldn't be unaware, since it's one of the few things that has to be disclosed specifically (beyond just being listed in the ingredients), as you noticed with the tea.

People don't all ingest a lot of it and don't have to, it has to do with how much packaged stuff you eat and, of course, how important it is to you to read the ingredients, but soy is reasonably well disclosed.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Want to know what's fun? Some babies can't tolerate the mom eating soy if they're breastfed. And yes, it's in everything. It's cheap and effective, so it's everywhere.

This was me 2 years ago. I stupidly tried herbal life which is nothing but soy and my son had a horrible reaction while I was breastfeeding. He wouldn't eat or sleep for 2 days. I had to give him frozen milk and pump and dump until it was out my system. Prior to herbal life I didn't eat soy... Or well intentionally and in high doses. After that experience Ive noticed it's in everything! That and corn... Smdh
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The thing is. Where extraneous hormones like phytoestrogen, which mimic oestrogen causing oestrogen dominance and significant health problems, including cancer, and can morph into mitochondrial problems, it costs many the quality of their lives if not actually their lives.

Allergies Kill. I don't think anaphylaxis is nothing. It most often happens without any warning. I realise my families issues are fortunately limited and can be avoided if one never eats out, never eats mass produced foods.

Are we happy for unnecessary additives, like soy in tea, to be in our food chain when it causes all the above for unsuspecting people.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    The thing is. Where extraneous hormones like phytoestrogen, which mimic oestrogen causing oestrogen dominance and significant health problems, including cancer, and can morph into mitochondrial problems, it costs many the quality of their lives if not actually their lives.

Allergies Kill. I don't think anaphylaxis is nothing. It most often happens without any warning. I realise my families issues are fortunately limited and can be avoided if one never eats out, never eats mass produced foods.

Are we happy for unnecessary additives, like soy in tea, to be in our food chain when it causes all the above for unsuspecting people.

I have food allergies. I read every label. There is no reason to ban things because some might react. There already are labeling laws that the most common allergens need to be listed in bold.

And it may be in a lot- but it hasn't been in anything I ate today, which included small servings of chips and candy.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Economics!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    From https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/foodadditivesingredients/ucm328728.htm

How can I know if there is MSG in my food?

FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate. However, MSG occurs naturally in ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses. While FDA requires that these products be listed on the ingredient panel, the agency does not require the label to also specify that they naturally contain MSG. However, foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot claim “No MSG” or “No added MSG” on their packaging. MSG also cannot be listed as “spices and flavoring.”
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I can't have soy beyond soy lecithin and soy oils. Anything else is a trigger for one of my medical issues and ingesting it ends with me being in agony for a period of time. So I have to be super careful and read every single label to make sure it is safe.

Does it stink to have to do this? Yes.
    Do I expect companies to not use it? No.
    Do I WISH companies wouldn't use it? Yes.

It's annoying because soy is everywhere and in so many things. It's hard to find any sort of frozen meals that are soy free plus free of other problem ingredients (like tomatoes) for example.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »

considering how much soy has been consumed for how many hundreds/thousands of years by certain parts of the planet, if soy consumption was a legitimate health concern that caused hormonal issues and cancer we would have known it well long ago. It would not be "heavily debated" and would not be on the market.

Obviously you need to avoid foods you are allergic to. That goes for anything, and it doesn't make it dangerous for everyone else. If soy allergies were a common thing, soy wouldn't be in so many products as the OP has noticed.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Corn and soy crops provide the most calories per acre.

While it certainly is not THE definitive treatise on the subject, Michael Pollan's book 'In Defense Of Food' is a great read and will make you think in general about what you eat.