How do you manage workouts when allergies (pollen) are really bad?

Options
I get bad allergies due to pollen. It started this past week but yesterday was really bad - sneezing and excessive runny nose. Today I am going to the gym but it will be a challenge working out if I am sneezing or have a constant runny nose. Not sure if I can even do cardio.

Any tips or ideas on how to manage this? I did take an allergy pill but it doesn't really help. Thanks.

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This year is AWFUL GOD AWFUL for allergies!! I actually joined the gym because when I tried to go outside for a run, by the afternoon I was so miserable I was in hell!
    Some ideas- get allergy shots- definitely worth it in the long run
    For short term, get a Neti pot or Neti spray bottle... doesn't it make sense to flush out the pollen and allergens from your nose and sinuses THEN using medication? For me though, the nasal rinse only helps me feel 50% better because this year is just horrendous for allergies... I use Zyrtec D when it's really bad, or just plain Zyrtec, also nasocort- it does more than other nasal sprays- and wash your hair every night if you've been outside, keep windows closed and a/c on and replace your filters on your units or furnace... if you still don't find enough relief with all this (like me this year) stick to the gym and watch the pollen count online for your area and see when the pollen count is good to go out for a workout
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If all the above suggestions don't help, just lighten up on the workout for a few days. Also consider seeing an allergist.
  • jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec and Nasocort daily. Afrin is really good for nasal allergies and Sudafed works too. Mucinex if you can feel it going to your chest.
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find that during exercise my allergies (i.e. Runny nose) actually tend to slow down a bit, at least in comparison to times such as when lying in bed or trying to work at my desk. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it other than take antihistamines and try to reduce your exposure to allergens.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I start taking my Claritin way before the plants even start to flower. My doctor said getting on it early should help stop the reaction from being so severe. I know this doesn't help in the now, but maybe next year ask your doctor if you can take your medicine early to head off the pollen count? This hasn't gotten rid of mine but it sure helped. I hate when I'm doing hammer curls till failure and my nose starts running and I can't stop it lol
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I hit it hard with a cocktail of Zyrtec, Mucinex, saline nasal rinses, and occasionally Benadryl to sleep. An incline pillow seems to help me sleep as well without drowning in my own snot.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Flonase, Claritin and Singulair and never leave the house without my rescue inhaler. Also load up on zinc and drink echinacea tea to boost your immune system.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Allergies suck! I am on a Claritin, Flonase, saline spray, Sudafed, and Benadryl (at night) cocktail. When I go running, I use a sport cell phone armband just to carry my tissues.
  • mkarias1
    mkarias1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great info. It wasn't too bad working out. Let's see what Tuesday brings.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I manage my allergies so they don't interfere with my workout. If the pollen outside is sky high, I would do an indoor workout instead of outdoor. Sometimes they are really bad when I first get up, so I will take an Excedrin, Sudafed, and either claritin or nasacort right away. The Excedrin gets rid of the headache and gives an energy boost to my workout.