Belly fat cure... Despite popular opinion

Options
emma44ny
emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
Ok so despite popular opinion, I started the Belly Fat Cure diet on Monday. I have previously lost 60+ lbs with diet and exercise but I have recently been at a stand still and I really wanted to lose about 10-15 more lbs before a wedding in August. It's not overly radical with the exception of not being able to eat fruit (which I can introduce when I lose what I want). Anyway just looking for any feed back from anyone that has tried this? Any tips or helpful info would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this either, what is it?
  • emma44ny
    Options
    Never heard of this either, what is it?
    Low sugar. Very low sugar and low carb but not like Atkins low carb. The sugar thing is a very interesting thing because if nothing else I have realized how much unnecessary sugar I have been consuming! It's from a book by Jorge Cruise called the belly fat cure. Again, a little crash-diet-ish but not totally off the wall...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm leery of a diet that asks you to cut out all fruit. (Or maybe I misunderstood and it's just some fruits?) My mom tried a no-fruit diet years ago with our family because it was supposed to help with my brothers ADHD. It made us all miserable. We got sick more that winter and spring than ever before, too. When we gave it up, we gorged on fresh in-season fruit and felt so much better! (And it did nothing for his hyperactivity).
    Fruits have lots of nutrients. A lot of them are "phytochemicals" and haven't all been isolated, so you can't just take a multivitamin to completely compensate (a lot of them are related to the chemicals that give them their different colors). It may be possible to substitute veggies and get most of these nutrients, so it might work for you, but be careful. And if you find yourself craving fruits (or even sweets - which may really be craving fruit) that's probably a sign that it's not a great thing anymore.

Just my opinion...
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I talked to my trainer about how I'm not losing fat as much as I expected with my diet/exercise regime and he told me to cut my fruit intake. He basically said that everything good about fruit can be gained from veggies and that sugar is sugar is sugar. So I'm maybe less wary than most would be, but I still at least have two servings of fruit a day. I also eat dairy and I end up going over my sugar allowance, so there you go.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I agree with mathjulz.
  • emma44ny
    Options
    I'm leery of a diet that asks you to cut out all fruit. (Or maybe I misunderstood and it's just some fruits?) My mom tried a no-fruit diet years ago with our family because it was supposed to help with my brothers ADHD. It made us all miserable. We got sick more that winter and spring than ever before, too. When we gave it up, we gorged on fresh in-season fruit and felt so much better! (And it did nothing for his hyperactivity).
    Fruits have lots of nutrients. A lot of them are "phytochemicals" and haven't all been isolated, so you can't just take a multivitamin to completely compensate (a lot of them are related to the chemicals that give them their different colors). It may be possible to substitute veggies and get most of these nutrients, so it might work for you, but be careful. And if you find yourself craving fruits (or even sweets - which may really be craving fruit) that's probably a sign that it's not a great thing anymore.

Just my opinion...
    I think blueberries and raspberries and blackberries are ok? I've been eating them sooo.. oh well... Trust me it won't be long without fruit for me because I really like fresh fruit and am not about to give it up forever. It's mostly like sugars in things you dont think about... Bread, dairy, cereals.. Etc
  • emma44ny
    Options
    I talked to my trainer about how I'm not losing fat as much as I expected with my diet/exercise regime and he told me to cut my fruit intake. He basically said that everything good about fruit can be gained from veggies and that sugar is sugar is sugar. So I'm maybe less wary than most would be, but I still at least have two servings of fruit a day. I also eat dairy and I end up going over my sugar allowance, so there you go.
    That is pretty much what this book states too.. Ok at least I'm not totally crazy!
  • cappsjennifer
    Options
    Check out the 17 day diet....I am on day 2 and already the scales are showing 2 lbs down
    ...my mom and step dad lost 15 and 20 lbs respectively during the first 17 days...and it is healthy eating....and incorporates exercise
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's smart to watch your sugar intake INCLUDING fruits. It's a VERY unpopular fact but it IS that: fact.

Good for you. Let us know how it goes.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the book as well and it makes sense. You don't have to cut out fruit just eat fruit with less sugar like blueberries and blackberries.
    Then once you reach your goal, as stated, you can add a little more fruit back in. Sugar is Sugar and it promotes fat storage especially around the belly. You wanna lose your belly, cut the fruit. Enough said.

I totally agree with the book and the author of this topic. Just to be clear.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It's a great book and I agree with it! Good luck!
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree with the concept. I am reading the Primal Blueprint which says to limit your carbs to less than 150g a day and that does work. It also says to eat the lower glycemic fruit but high glycemic fruit is ok in small amounts. They say to eliminate all grains. I modify it to still eat grains but make sure that I come in under the 150g a day and I am still losing weight so it works. I don't even count calories anymore only carbs.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    On the Primal Blueprint...

Makes sense. Cavemen didn't have snickers bars. Back to God's food list. Meat and Vegetables.

I also agree with your adding in the whole grains. The Primal Blueprint is close to the Belly Fat Cure.
  • emma44ny
    Options
    Down 4lbs since Monday... Lets see what the weekend brings!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never seen the belly fat cure so the only comment I have is that if this is not a diet you plan to sustain, then there is a good chance you'll gain any weight lost on it back. Over the years I've tried or had friends who have tried just about every new diet that comes along. Most last weight. But not one stuck to for long and none kept that weigh off.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    My mom and I started the Belly Fat Cure today. I have cut sugar out a couple times in the past and I really do feel so much better, more energy, cravings go away. I'm one of those people that has always said to eat as much fruit as you want, because nobody got fat on fruit. I'm sure that people at a healthy weight that don't eat much sugar can eat a ton of fruit, but someone who's 100 pounds overweight like myself might just need to watch the fruit intake along with anything else.

It's been tough to wrap my thoughts around, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try and see how it goes. I do love berries, so that's a good thing! I also read on someone's diary the other day (I can't remember if she was doing this program exactly or if it was just a low sugar/low carb plan) and she would eat half a nectarine a day.

15 sugars a day isn't much and can pretty much be found in sweet veggies (I had both a carrot and a serving of grape tomatoes today), so yeah, watching the fruit intake.
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lanae7
    Lanae7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too read the book and totally agree with the added sugars in most foods. I tried the diet for 4 weeks, and can say that I gained energy. Unfortunately, as the book states the weight did not drop off as fast as I thought. I lost a total of 3 lbs and I can honestly say that I was below the 15 grams of sugar daily and kept the carbohydrates under 85 grams per day. The hard part of following this was not being able to eat fruit as I normally would. I began my normal eating yesterday by incorporating more fruit into my diet. I must say that I am more conscious about hidden sugars found in food. I am reading labels and trying to maintain a low sugar diet. Good Luck and I hope it it different for you!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the book is on sale on Amazon for Kindle for $.99 right now (or was a couple days ago).
  • RasheedaR
    RasheedaR Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How are you guys doing on the plan?