Help with Macros please

Options
niyra17
niyra17 Posts: 51 Member
Hi All,

I wanted to know, where i m going wrong, anyway so what i really wanted to ask, was do i have to eat all my eg 45% of Carbs, 30% protein and 25% of fats ?.. I am not losing at the moment and having 1300 cals and eating under too.
I am not eating all these % so is this a problem ??
Hope i have made some sense thank you

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to log correctly. This means choosing correct database entries, weighing everything and logging the exact amount you eat, hitting your calorie goal every day, and never "forget" anything or "cheat". Macros is for health and satiety.
  • luciascavo
    luciascavo Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Try changing up your numbers. Your carbs shouldn't be higher than your proteins if you're trying to lose weight. Eat carbs before working out. Carbs break down into sugar, which turns into energy, that can be burned at the gym. If you're not currently working out, the carbs will be stored as fat. Eat proteins throughout the day. Try putting in numbers such as 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I currently have mine set to 50, 25, 25 as well as strength straining every week day morning, plus kick boxing once on the weekend.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    niyra17 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I wanted to know, where i m going wrong, anyway so what i really wanted to ask, was do i have to eat all my eg 45% of Carbs, 30% protein and 25% of fats ?.. I am not losing at the moment and having 1300 cals and eating under too.

Don't worry about the percentages, focus on the gram totals, and no, you don't have to hit them exactly. It's good to hit protein, at least--your protein goal seems sensible to me, about 98 g? That's just about what I aimed for when losing. However, mostly just track what you eat, focus on hitting calories (or coming very close on average), and then see how you feel. As the first person who responded mentioned, macros are about satiety, mostly, so if you are feeling tired or low energy or hungry or not able to make your calorie goal, you might want to adjust them. But they should reflect what works for you.

How long have you been doing 1300, how much have you lost, how consistently have you logged? If it's been a while and you've been consistent, you might want to have someone check to see if they see any of the common issues with your logging. It also could be monthly water fluctuations or water weight being up from starting new exercise or a bunch of things.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2017
    Options
    luciascavo wrote: »
    Your carbs shouldn't be higher than your proteins if you're trying to lose weight.

Not true. It makes no difference and protein higher than carbs will be far more protein than necessary for anyone not doing a low carb diet (which also is not high protein normally, but high fat, and is a totally fine choice but not necessary).

No harm in extra protein, but aiming for more than is actually connected to benefits is hard for many and displaces other foods. Reasonable estimate on a deficit is about .65-.85 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, although I personally do like to aim for the higher end of that (specifically using .8 g). That helps with muscle maintenance when losing. Protein also can help with satiety, but so can things like fiber or fat, and OP hasn't mentioned an issue with that yet.
  • niyra17
    Options
    You have to log correctly. This means choosing correct database entries, weighing everything and logging the exact amount you eat, hitting your calorie goal every day, and never "forget" anything or "cheat". Macros is for health and satiety.

I have been doing that everyday with weighing everything that i eat even writing in the chewing gum too, its been good but i have hit a plateau and not been shifting anything for the send week.. :(
  • niyra17
    Options
    Try changing up your numbers. Your carbs shouldn't be higher than your proteins if you're trying to lose weight. Eat carbs before working out. Carbs break down into sugar, which turns into energy, that can be burned at the gym. If you're not currently working out, the carbs will be stored as fat. Eat proteins throughout the day. Try putting in numbers such as 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I currently have mine set to 50, 25, 25 as well as strength straining every week day morning, plus kick boxing once on the weekend.

I dont work out, so i need to keep my carbs low i think.. I have MS which restricts me so i dont get much exercise in, i try and do some walking bu again a bit hard.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week? It's completely normal to not lose for a week. Keep doing what you've been doing.
  • niyra17
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Don't worry about the percentages, focus on the gram totals, and no, you don't have to hit them exactly. It's good to hit protein, at least--your protein goal seems sensible to me, about 98 g? That's just about what I aimed for when losing. However, mostly just track what you eat, focus on hitting calories (or coming very close on average), and then see how you feel. As the first person who responded mentioned, macros are about satiety, mostly, so if you are feeling tired or low energy or hungry or not able to make your calorie goal, you might want to adjust them. But they should reflect what works for you.

How long have you been doing 1300, how much have you lost, how consistently have you logged? If it's been a while and you've been consistent, you might want to have someone check to see if they see any of the common issues with your logging. It also could be monthly water fluctuations or water weight being up from starting new exercise or a bunch of things.

Hi i have been logging everything for a long time now, i have been eating 1300 since i started, but i dont eat all the 1300.. I weigh and check everything i eat, i have lost 1 stone so far but now its slowing down,also i do sometimes get hungry, so i started to eat brunch instead , but had a plum or a piece of fruit in the morning.. Then had a lunch a light one, then making my evening meal more filling.. i just hope i am doing it right.. thank you for your help.
  • niyra17
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with eating more carbs than protein. I lost 60 pounds that way. The only way carbs get stored as fat is if they cause you to go over maintenance.

OP, you're likely eating more than you think. How are you measuring your intake?

Hi, i weigh everything on electronic scales, I don't work out, don;t go to the Gym because i would really struggle as i have MS as well.
    I try and do some walking but not to great..so i think maybe going low on carbs may help me..and amazing 60 pounds weight loss that is really great.. will keep going, this week again i have just maintained me weight and not lost, something is not quite right. :(
  • niyra17
    Options
    Weighed today and still the same. So disappointed .
    So I'm on 1300 cals eat about 1100 do get hungry at times ,feel worried that if I eat more I will gain.. So I'm doing it all wrong please if anyone can sort me out..I would be so grateful.
    I am not an active person , I get to walk a bit just at weekends and most other days I'm at work with mainly no moving around, like a desk job really.
    So what do I do ?
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you're set to be on 1300 but consistently (ish) eat under that maybe you're not eating enough? 1100 cals a day for a prolonged time doesn't sound very realistic and I totally get that you get hungry. At the same time you obviously have your medical condition keeping you from exercise so I get that something like that will complicate things. Have you tried swimming? It's a really low impact way to burn some calories and that way you could confidently eat more.

The closer you get to your goal the slower loss will be either way so if it's only been another couple of days I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

I can't believe some people believe this rubbish. My carbs are always higher than my proteins. It must be a figment of my imagination that I am almost half the size I was a year ago. Do you seriously believe that MFP would set up default macros where you couldn't lose weight?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hi i have been logging everything for a long time now, i have been eating 1300 since i started, but i dont eat all the 1300.. I weigh and check everything i eat, i have lost 1 stone so far but now its slowing down,also i do sometimes get hungry, so i started to eat brunch instead , but had a plum or a piece of fruit in the morning.. Then had a lunch a light one, then making my evening meal more filling.. i just hope i am doing it right.. thank you for your help.

I'm wondering if you have unrealistic expectations. It's normal for it to slow down and you won't see loss every day (or even every week). What time period for the 1 stone and when you say slowing down, how long total and what loss, how much loss each week for the last few weeks?

Also, what are your stats? If you aren't that big (like many of us women, I'm 5'3) and can't be that active, which I understand, losses are going to be slower, because maintenance calories will be so much less than for, for example, an active 6'2 man.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

huh...my carbs are wayyyy higher than my protein and I've lost a fair amount of weight...that advice make no sense
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    1100 may not be enough food for you even with MS.
  • niyra17
    Options
    1100 may not be enough food for you even with MS.

Very true,I have lost 1 stone,but it took me ages. I try and walk and just look at the steps I do .. I will reavaluate my calories and the macros.. Just hit a slow stop really and not, budging..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    u4owwc1zrepc.jpg
  • niyra17
    Options
    u4owwc1zrepc.jpg

I have just looked at this , and I weigh everything I eat,only thing wrong with me is that I MS so not at all very active..maybe I need to eat less but I will get hungry.. I am going to see my doctor on Wednesday and will ask her about what might be going on.
    I can honestly say that I am working to the MFP the right way,my hubby us even shocked to why I'm not losing, I have 3 stone to lose and have lost 1 stone started on here like in Feb..so I Dont know :(
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute did you say you lost 1 stone in February!! (14 lbs in one month)? Wow, that's fast.

You know what would help - is if you allowed your diary to be public, and gave us your stats, height, age & weight. I don't think I've seen this yet.