Any coffee creamer recommendations?

Options

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Real half-and-half. 20 calories/tsp makes it less caloric than many non-dairy alternatives. "Fat free half and half" has about half as many, but I can't vouch for the taste. They ought not be allowed to call it "half and half" but nothing to be done about it.

This with splenda is my happy medium! I allot 70 calories/day for half and half!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I use Dunkin Dounuts Extra Extra creamer. It is 80 calories for 2 tbs and I don't need to put any sugar or sugar substitute in my coffee.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Get a bottle of good hazelnut extract. Use half a tsp of that plus milk, half & half, or cream and some sweetener if you need it.
    I also use the Torani Syrups in my iced coffees (hazelnut is also my favorite). 1 TB (40 cals) is an excellent amount of flavor for me with 2 TB full fat half & half for a total of 80 cals.
    That is a big step down from the 1/4 cup of flavored creamer I swear I used to use. And I would have at least 2 every day. Now I have one coffee and drink black tea if I want/need some more caffeine (which I usually do since I am a terrible sleeper).
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing Baileys isn't the answer you're looking for :)

Bailey's actually makes a non-alcoholic series of creamers -- I am enjoying Toffee Almond Cream (@ 25 cals per tbsp) as I type this.

7m2m6ptbw5ix.png
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and splenda. AND good coffee. Must start with good coffee.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just use regular half and half. It is 40 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I buy freshly roasted whole bean coffee (and I mean roasted in the last 7 to 10 days), grind it right before I pour the water, and sometimes I use half & half or whole milk, not always though.

If you drink high-quality coffee you soon realize most of the bitterness is gone. And that's typically why people use the milk, to mask the bitterness.

Anway, just an idea. Took me a little while to come around to it. But worth mentioning. I'll never go back to stale beans and inferior grinding/brewing.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I put flavored stevia drops in my coffee and add a splash of lowfat milk or almond/cashew milk. This is my favorite brand/flavor and it comes in other varieties:

https://www.vitacost.com/nunaturals-nustevia-vanilla

(Stevia doesn't have any calories and then you're dealing with whatever is in the milk, and I find that a tablespoon or so of milk goes pretty far!)
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    JPotamus wrote: »
    I buy freshly roasted whole bean coffee (and I mean roasted in the last 7 to 10 days), grind it right before I pour the water, and sometimes I use half & half or whole milk, not always though.

If you drink high-quality coffee you soon realize most of the bitterness is gone. And that's typically why people use the milk, to mask the bitterness.

Anway, just an idea. Took me a little while to come around to it. But worth mentioning. I'll never go back to stale beans and inferior grinding/brewing.

And you use enough coffee beans for the amount of water that you're using. Many, many people over-extract their beans and then wonder why the coffee tastes bitter and needs additives.
  • dalotheman
    dalotheman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been a coffee/diet coke drinker most of my life. I've also been in "weight management" mode most of my adult life also. I've kind of stumbled onto success lately. I've been able to cut out diet coke completely and I have one large cup of coffee in the morning, maybe 10 ounces. I use dry creamer and splenda and then go on with my day drinking 8 to 12 glasses of water every day. The key to avid coffee drinkers is the sense of accomplishment that comes from cutting out latte or flavored coffee and still having that time in the morning that you look forward to.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I put flavored stevia drops in my coffee and add a splash of lowfat milk or almond/cashew milk. This is my favorite brand/flavor and it comes in other varieties:

https://www.vitacost.com/nunaturals-nustevia-vanilla

(Stevia doesn't have any calories and then you're dealing with whatever is in the milk, and I find that a tablespoon or so of milk goes pretty far!)
    Milk is what I use too. Besides making the coffee taste the way I want, it adds some protein and nutrients.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use liquid coffee mate original. i buy the little tubs and 1 tub is 10 cal. I usually only need 1, or 2 for a big coffee.
    it's very creamy and sweet, too.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just read a post by someone online doing a high-protein diet who puts part of his protein shake in his coffee, along with some sweetener. He takes about 50 calories of protein powder, mixes it with water in a blender or shaker cup, adds it to the coffee with sweetener, and then put the coffee in the microwave.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I second the "investing in better coffee" train. My husband has gotten me to use his French press and we get whole bean coffee- it is amazing the flavor that comes through when you do that straight from the coffee. You really reduce the amount of extra you need when you can get to that flavor. It does take a little longer in the morning but not by much.

I will admit that we got a new flavor of coffee recently and I discovered I really disliked it (some brand of Italian Roast) so I have been drinking Starbucks while he has been finishing that off >.>

I don't add creamer, but do like a lot of nonfat milk with my coffee. My favorite drink is a Starbucks grande non-fat latte without sugar.

I have tried numerous methods to come up with a cup of black coffee that I can enjoy (as opposed to tolerate). If I'm trying to lose weight, a nice cup of coffee is a highlight of my day, sad to say.

I've used the French Press, the pour-over method, cold brew, and many varieties of the highest quality coffee. The quest continues.

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like cashew milk (unsweetened regular or unsweetened vanilla) & splenda (I actually use ez sweetz sucralose drops). Cashew milk is creamier than almond milk & only 25 cals/cup!
  • laurafresh
    laurafresh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to Califia (sp?) vanilla almond milk creamer - not the milk but actually a creamer version so more like cream. It sweetens my coffee and adds some richness to the taste (black coffee makes my stomach turn) and only like 15 cals. Plus its all natural so better for you than the ones that are fat free but loaded with other junk. I have digestive issues and it works great for me - in fact the regular creamers were really exacerbating diverticulitis. Good luck and am in agreement with BUY GOOD COFFEE - we get ours from one of the local roasters in my city, fresh, weekly.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I'm guessing Baileys isn't the answer you're looking for :)

Bailey's actually makes a non-alcoholic series of creamers -- I am enjoying Toffee Almond Cream (@ 25 cals per tbsp) as I type this.

7m2m6ptbw5ix.png

Non-alcoholic? Talk about missing the point.
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JPotamus wrote: »

And you use enough coffee beans for the amount of water that you're using. Many, many people over-extract their beans and then wonder why the coffee tastes bitter and needs additives.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have the ratio right for pour-over. I measured it when I first started with my Kalita Wave and have gone by the same measurements ever since.

Also, I wanted to mention the grinder I use. It's an entry level Baratza burr grinder. Not cheap, but certainly not top of the line. It has made a huge difference. Also, use filtered water. Not tap water.

Temp and time matter, too. I wait one minute after the kettle goes off to pour. And it usually takes a little over 3 minutes for a pour-over.

I used to make French press coffee, for quite a few years. But I was so curious about pour-over coffee, and so I just had to try it out. Glad I did. I love it more than French press now. At some point, I might consider roasting my own beans, but just not there yet.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a calorie free coffee creamer. I have never found them at my local stores. I just use whatever creamer I like, but only a tablespoon in my big travel mug. 35 calories and done! Yum