Need a good marinade

Options
Alishia6606
Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
We're having chicken breasts tonight. Looking for a low calorie/ healthy marinade to do up. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    There are so many to choose from. Dry rubs too.

In seriousness, have you had a look through the supermarket marinade section? If you're short on time, that's an easy way to go. I'm a big fan of anything made by stubbs. Jack daniels makes bbq marinades as well that are really good.

For home made marinades... again... so many.

Asian: Egg white and soy sauce

Mexican: Puree'd chili pepper, white vinegar, spices

Steak: Worchestire, garlic, paprika

Italian: any olive oil and vinegar based dressing

Dry rubs: Any blend of seasonings you like with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar, let sit for a hour or more in fridge. Again, stubbs makes some great premade dry rubs.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Crushed garlic, harissa paste, lemon juice. Makes a spicy but fairly low cal mariade (can add olive oil too if you want but I rarely do) perfect for chicken, pork or lamb
  • Alishia6606
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Those sound great! Thank you!!
  • 1coolmofo
    1coolmofo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Brine it. Salt water. (Make it taste like ocean water) Course black pepper. Parsley stems. Bay leaves. Honey. Rosemary. Citrus juice. Coriander. Chili flakes. Chili pase. Curry paste. Worscheshirre. Any combination of those ingredients will work. Soak it in just enough water to submerge and add flavoring elements. If you need to broke quickly use tap water (cold) and leave to sit out for 1.5 he before cooking. If time allows place in the refrigerator up to 24 hours
  • Bludog82
    Bludog82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    McCormick Grill Mates!!! Great variety
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Weber makes some awesome marinades that mix with lemon juice, orange juice or apple juice. They're fabulous. Other than that, depends on my mood. My husband aggravates me because he always points out I never write anything down. I just throw it together according to my mood. :)
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    Weber makes some awesome marinades that mix with lemon juice, orange juice or apple juice. They're fabulous. Other than that, depends on my mood. My husband aggravates me because he always points out I never write anything down. I just throw it together according to my mood. :)

I do the same thing!! My husband hates it so much! We're currently doing the biggest loser challenge at his work and he is super competitive. He said he just going to eat what I eat and still win the competition. Lol
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

How could I forget about!

Citrus juices make amazing marinade!!

Porkchops marinaded in orange juice are divine.

OP for chicken you could do a few squirts of lemon juice fresh ground pepper and salt for lemon pepper all natural.

This recipe forum is bad news for me. I get all fired up to cook and there's not enough calories in a day lol B)

Did you decide on one OP?
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    I did. I chose a simple lemon and garlic with extra virgin olive oil. It tastes rather yummy. :)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    My go-to marinade is made from fresh herbs like cilantro or rosemary or thyme along with fresh chopped garlic, sliced green onion and olive oil for a minimum of 2 hours. You can use whatever spices that make sense in your recipe, but hold off on adding anything that has sodium or a sour flavor, like lemon and vinegar. Sodium and acidity denatures meat. Your chicken breast will have a weird sausage-like consistency if you marinate in sodium for too long. Salt just before you cook the meat, and then squeeze a lemon wedge over after cooking.