Boosting calories to meet daily minimum in healthy ways

Options
I've been using MFP for 16 days now, and while my goal is feeling stronger and losing weight, I am learning a lot about my general nutrition. It turns out I was wrong about a lot of things. For example, I thought I was overeating generally and probably eating way too many carbs and sugars and fats. It turns out I'm almost never eating the recommended amount of calories (1200 per my height, weight, and activity according to MFP), even on days when I exercise and feel hungrier than usual. I'm not starving myself... just not hungry. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I'm now thinking perhaps part of the reason I've gained weight in recent years is I'm largely sedentary (doctoral student, work at a computer all day and into the night usually) and apparently drastically under-eating (some nights I'm ready for bed but am only at about half my goal for the day), so I've slowed down my metabolism. Oops.

I am exercising at least 30 min a day 3 times a week, but this hasn't really boosted my appetite much. I would like to boost my calories to the recommended minimum and keep on track with my nutrition goals, but I also don't want to force myself to eat all the time when I'm not hungry. What are you favorite nutrient-dense recipes or foods or snacks?

I would really prefer suggestions for things that will boost me in my problem areas (see below), and it would be great if I could boost my calories + problem nutrients without eating a large quantity of food that I'm not really hungry for! If you have food or supplement suggestions that can help me target the stuff that's missing from my diet, that would be wonderful. I have no dietary restrictions... except olives and coffee taste gross. :)

Here's what I'm doing well and doing poorly with in terms of nutrients:

On the "week view" of my app, I'm meeting my recommended amounts with the following:
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Iron

I'm meeting about 75% of the recommendation with:
Calcium
Cholesterol
Fat

I'm meeting about 50% of the recommendation with:
Protein
Carbs
Fiber
Sugar
Sodium

I'm only at about 25% of the recommendation with:
Potassium

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am looking at raising my BMR. I am researching this right now.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Okay so here is something else for you to learn.

1200 is not the recommended amount of calories for most people unless you have set your weight loss goal high...aka 2lbs a week or you are a small person.

1200 is the minimum you can go and still get in all your macros/micros as long as you are careful.

If you are under eating you would be losing weight fast...chances are you are eating more than think.

how are you measuring your intake? food scale? cups or guessing?

This. Most people, even many shorter women, need more than 1200 cals. You would have to undereat for a very long time to measurably slow down your metabolism, and even then it would just make it harder for you to lose weight.

Before you try to eat more, I'd suggest:
    1. Get a food scale and commit to using it for at least 2 weeks for all solid food, it is way more accurate and reliable than measuring cups, package info, or eyeballing.
    2. Double check the entries you are using in the database are accurate. There is a lot of random crap entered by other users that is just plain wrong.
    3. Log everything, accurately and consistently: food, drinks, condiments, cooking oil, even veggies.
    4. Not all micros are required on food labels, and if they aren't always on food labels then they aren't always on MFP

Doing this will make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot. The vast majority of people who feel full but can't meet the bare minimum of calories required by an adult, are actually eating more than they think. When I started using a food scale, I discovered I was eating 200-300 cals per day more than I thought I was - it's really common!
  • mariecb07
    mariecb07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef, I'm going to reply to your post piecemeal but frankly it doesn't seem like you read mine very closely. You've posted "something else for me to learn" but it's all things I already knew or are irrelevant to my goals and post...
    1200 is not the recommended amount of calories for most people unless you have set your weight loss goal high...aka 2lbs a week or you are a small person.

Yes, I already know this. I'm 5'5" and 173 lbs. My goal is 2lbs a week. It's the recommended amount for me per MFP.
    1200 is the minimum you can go and still get in all your macros/micros as long as you are careful.

Yes, I already know this, and assistance being careful and actually getting my macros/micros is what I'm asking for in this thread. I don't want to just eat a block of cheese or a small pile of bacon just to hit the 1200. I want to add healthy things and am asking for tips.
    If you are under eating you would be losing weight fast...chances are you are eating more than think.

how are you measuring your intake? food scale? cups or guessing?

I am currently losing weight. I didn't state otherwise. I'm not losing 2 lbs per week, but I didn't expect that to happen precisely.

As for how I measure intake, I have a very precise food scale. I weight everything. I am cooking at home, not going out to eat. And there are days when I'll only have things like an apple for breakfast, work through lunch, then eat a small dinner that's all measured out. I'm 100% confident that I am currently under-eating most days of the week. I'm asking for help to not undereat and asking for help eating with more balance. I'm trying to lose weight in a healthier way despite a low appetite. I'm not saying that I'm undereating and failing to lose weight.

• kimny72
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OP, reading your response, I guess I would say first of all just to double check the entries you are using to ensure they are accurate. They might not be listing all the macros and micros. All foods are made up of protein, carbs, and fat, so there is no way you could be only hitting 50% of your goal for all of these unless you are only eating 600 calories per day. Otherwise, in order to say what you could change, we would really need to be able to see your diary.

In general, if you are really only eating an apple and a small dinner, you should talk to a doctor. No matter what shape your metabolism is in, that should not make you too full to eat more.
  • mariecb07
    Options
    okay...so you are under eating and not losing more than 2lbs a week and you can exercise...

Again, not reading. I said I'm not losing precisely 2 lbs a week. I didn't say "not more than." It's fluctuated before and after starting to use MFP, based on a variety of factors including hormonal issues, diet, exercise, and the flu.
    and my post was relevant as you said you wanted to do this in a healthy manner and if you put in 2lbs a week you aren't being healthy about it.

you want to lose too fast and will lose muscle too.

Providing actual sources for this would be helpful. The app itself said 2 lbs was fine and more than that as a weekly goal is not. Everything I've read online has echoed this as a healthy maximum.
    and if you are undereating as you have said and exercising you must exhausted...

Yup, hence me asking for help finding healthy foods to add so I have more energy. Too bad no one here has commented to answer my question about this at all.
    and if you are logging everything and choosing correct entries and only eating dinner and an apple in a day you might need to talk to someone about your relationship with food...doesn't sound good if you aren't eating.

I'm aware, have, and am working on this in an ongoing way. Again, it would be great if you'd comment about my actual questions, which were about how to eat MORE things that are healthy and address my apparent deficits, rather than critique my measuring techniques, talk about the weight loss that is not at all the focus of the thread I started, and then tell me I'm not eating enough and it "doesn't sound good." I know this. It ISN'T good. This was the point of my thread. I'm not eating enough, I've learned a lot about what I am and am not getting nutrition wise, and I'm asking for tips on good sources of those nutrients. That's all.
  • mariecb07
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, reading your response, I guess I would say first of all just to double check the entries you are using to ensure they are accurate. They might not be listing all the macros and micros. All foods are made up of protein, carbs, and fat, so there is no way you could be only hitting 50% of your goal for all of these unless you are only eating 600 calories per day. Otherwise, in order to say what you could change, we would really need to be able to see your diary.

In general, if you are really only eating an apple and a small dinner, you should talk to a doctor. No matter what shape your metabolism is in, that should not make you too full to eat more.

Thank you, this is helpful. I will check macros and micros more closely to try to get more accurate nutrient data. I'm still learning about how the app logs that info and where to look for it within the app. And yes, recently some days I am at 600 calories a day, which I know is terrible and am working on hard. I am really under-eating (despite people here convinced that I can't be...), and I am really trying to change this by adding foods that are healthy and by adding foods that are especially dense in the areas MFP suggests I am most lacking. I have a history of being freaked out by not eating enough total and then just eating whatever is easy to get/easy to add calories fast, which is generally not what is healthy. I don't want to add a bowl of ice cream. I am looking to add healthy things instead.

And as I said in my reply to the other person, I am indeed already working with a professional. One suggestion of theirs was to ask here about what nutrient-dense foods have been appealing/satisfying for others using MFP. Hasn't worked well since I'm mostly explaining and re-explaining my goals with this thread rather than getting a single food suggestion. :(
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nut butters
    Handful of mixed nuts
    Cheese- Don't think it isn't healthy. It's great calcium
    Oats
    Avocado
    Beef jerky
    Rice- Again it has some great nutrients.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mariecb07 wrote: »
    okay...so you are under eating and not losing more than 2lbs a week and you can exercise...

Again, not reading. I said I'm not losing precisely 2 lbs a week. I didn't say "not more than." It's fluctuated before and after starting to use MFP, based on a variety of factors including hormonal issues, diet, exercise, and the flu.
    and my post was relevant as you said you wanted to do this in a healthy manner and if you put in 2lbs a week you aren't being healthy about it.

you want to lose too fast and will lose muscle too.

Providing actual sources for this would be helpful. The app itself said 2 lbs was fine and more than that as a weekly goal is not. Everything I've read online has echoed this as a healthy maximum.
    and if you are undereating as you have said and exercising you must exhausted...

Yup, hence me asking for help finding healthy foods to add so I have more energy. Too bad no one here has commented to answer my question about this at all.
    and if you are logging everything and choosing correct entries and only eating dinner and an apple in a day you might need to talk to someone about your relationship with food...doesn't sound good if you aren't eating.

I'm aware, have, and am working on this in an ongoing way. Again, it would be great if you'd comment about my actual questions, which were about how to eat MORE things that are healthy and address my apparent deficits, rather than critique my measuring techniques, talk about the weight loss that is not at all the focus of the thread I started, and then tell me I'm not eating enough and it "doesn't sound good." I know this. It ISN'T good. This was the point of my thread. I'm not eating enough, I've learned a lot about what I am and am not getting nutrition wise, and I'm asking for tips on good sources of those nutrients. That's all.

potassium isn't mandatory on the food label so I wouldn't rely on that too much (being at 25%)
    The rest of your macros etc are easy to fill in with healthy foods.

Go to the grocery store, stay on the outskirts of the store and only buy fresh foods, meats, cheeses, veggies, fruits etc and eat food....

Start by logging what you want to eat, prepare it the night before and then eat it.

If you know you aren't eating it enough and want tips on how to get in all your macros then here is it...eat food because if you are only at 50% of your macros you need more than tips you need people to do your menu for you.

as for the weight loss here is a chart that most people refer to for healthy weight loss goals

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, don't take much notice what the charts say. When users enter foods in the database they go off the labels.
    Most labels don't list the micro nutrient content.
  • kimny72
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thank you, this is helpful. I will check macros and micros more closely to try to get more accurate nutrient data. I'm still learning about how the app logs that info and where to look for it within the app. And yes, recently some days I am at 600 calories a day, which I know is terrible and am working on hard. I am really under-eating (despite people here convinced that I can't be...), and I am really trying to change this by adding foods that are healthy and by adding foods that are especially dense in the areas MFP suggests I am most lacking. I have a history of being freaked out by not eating enough total and then just eating whatever is easy to get/easy to add calories fast, which is generally not what is healthy. I don't want to add a bowl of ice cream. I am looking to add healthy things instead.

And as I said in my reply to the other person, I am indeed already working with a professional. One suggestion of theirs was to ask here about what nutrient-dense foods have been appealing/satisfying for others using MFP. Hasn't worked well since I'm mostly explaining and re-explaining my goals with this thread rather than getting a single food suggestion. :(

Unfortunately, we're not mind readers and sometimes communicating in this little box isn't as easy as we think it is. Each of your posts have given more info that for sure would have influenced previous replies, plus we see so many people logging wrong it's just the most likely culprit.

I find nuts, nut butters, avocados, and ice cream to be calorie dense foods that don't fill me up. Fruit might be something to look at as well, as it can be pretty calorie dense but also has fiber. You could also try a smoothie - a fruit, a veggie, and some yogurt - as liquids are generally not as filling as solids, but there would still be some nutrition in there. Glad to hear you are working with a professional, best of luck.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If I'm reading correctly you're wanting to increase your carbs and potassium? This list has some foods high in potassium and some are higher carb but still what I would call healthy foods. https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php Several of the foods are protein foods, as well, so that would be another one you could maybe check off. You don't NEED to increase your overall sugar consumption but if you want to then just eating a few more fruits and veggies will increase that naturally. Basically if you concentrate on fruits, veggies, and good meats/protein sources the other macros will fall into place. As far as sodium goes, if you're not low carbing it you should be ok with a higher carb food or two. When you do low carb you can lose a lot of sodium at first but if that's not your plan than you should be fine.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "I'm meeting about 75% of the recommendation with:
    Calcium
    Cholesterol
    Fat

I'm meeting about 50% of the recommendation with:
    Protein
    Carbs
    Fiber
    Sugar
    Sodium

I'm only at about 25% of the recommendation with:
    Potassium"

Two foods that come to mind that may knock multiple micronutrients are: cottage cheese (protein, fat, calcium, sodium) and avocados (fat, potassium, fiber, minimal carbs).

On patassium you do have realize that not all food in MFP database includes values for potassium even if it's high in that nutritional value. There are a lot of sources of potassium.
  • mariecb07
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    @SezxyStef was trying to be helpful because in one part of your original post, unless I've completely misunderstood, you seem to be implying that in recent years you gained weight due to consistent undereating and that just does not happen. People can damage their metabolism in the long term but they don't consistently put on weight by undereating. If I misinterpreted that part of your post, my apologies.

Thanks, this is helpful to understand where replies are coming from that seem off the wall to me. If you're referring to this bit...
    I'm now thinking perhaps part of the reason I've gained weight in recent years is I'm largely sedentary (doctoral student, work at a computer all day and into the night usually) and apparently drastically under-eating (some nights I'm ready for bed but am only at about half my goal for the day), so I've slowed down my metabolism. Oops.

... perhaps I can clarify. I intended for this paragraph to state that I've gained weight because I'm largely sedentary and have been for years. I've been working at a computer for hours and hours and getting little exercise. I can further describe my recent reality and share that I generally ate only what is convenient while doing all those long computer hours, which is a lot of processed or pre-made stuff. So I ate crappy foods for years and just sat around while I did it. My weight went up significantly in this time. That is the more remote past.

More recently (last year or so), I am not just sitting at a computer, and I've been working on my diet, exercise, and general relationship with food. I had already been losing weight on a new diet, prior to starting with MFP 16 days ago, and at that time I thought I was overeating things like carbs and sugar. MFP showed me I am wrong, and it's also showed me that what I've been eating most recently (last couple of months) is not a sufficient amount of calories, and that I especially stink at getting enough of certain stuff like protein and potassium.

What comes after the "and" is a separate-but-related thought. I wanted to edit to add "additionally" in there to make them separate sentences but these forums have an annoying 1-hour edit limit, so I couldn't. Similarly, I wanted to edit "metabolism" to "metabolism/appetite" or just "appetite" to indicate that I'm talking about my desire to eat there. I realized that metabolism was not the correct term, but again... I can't edit anything for an hour. It seems to me that given that the entire rest of my post goes into detail about how I'm looking to add good nutrients without a ton of volume due to my general low appetite, it would be fine, but some commenters are really fixated on that tangential comment rather than my actual question, it seems.

• mariecb07
    Options

potassium isn't mandatory on the food label so I wouldn't rely on that too much (being at 25%)
    The rest of your macros etc are easy to fill in with healthy foods.

Go to the grocery store, stay on the outskirts of the store and only buy fresh foods, meats, cheeses, veggies, fruits etc and eat food....

Start by logging what you want to eat, prepare it the night before and then eat it.

If you know you aren't eating it enough and want tips on how to get in all your macros then here is it...eat food because if you are only at 50% of your macros you need more than tips you need people to do your menu for you.

as for the weight loss here is a chart that most people refer to for healthy weight loss goals

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Thank you. This is SO helpful. And the thing about potassium is really a relief to me because I've felt kinda overwhelmed by my huge deficit, which puts me off going in the store/kitchen at all, which is counter-productive.

• mariecb07
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »
    Two foods that come to mind that may knock multiple micronutrients are: cottage cheese (protein, fat, calcium, sodium) and avocados (fat, potassium, fiber, minimal carbs).

On patassium you do have realize that not all food in MFP database includes values for potassium even if it's high in that nutritional value. There are a lot of sources of potassium.

Thank you. I don't think I've ever tried cottage cheese in my life so I'll have to give it a go. And that's great to know re: potassium since I was stressing about not getting even close to enough of it.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    @SezxyStef was trying to be helpful because in one part of your original post, unless I've completely misunderstood, you seem to be implying that in recent years you gained weight due to consistent undereating and that just does not happen. People can damage their metabolism in the long term but they don't consistently put on weight by undereating. If I misinterpreted that part of your post, my apologies.

Thanks, this is helpful to understand where replies are coming from that seem off the wall to me. If you're referring to this bit...
    I'm now thinking perhaps part of the reason I've gained weight in recent years is I'm largely sedentary (doctoral student, work at a computer all day and into the night usually) and apparently drastically under-eating (some nights I'm ready for bed but am only at about half my goal for the day), so I've slowed down my metabolism. Oops.

... perhaps I can clarify. I intended for this paragraph to state that I've gained weight because I'm largely sedentary and have been for years. I've been working at a computer for hours and hours and getting little exercise. I can further describe my recent reality and share that I generally ate only what is convenient while doing all those long computer hours, which is a lot of processed or pre-made stuff. So I ate crappy foods for years and just sat around while I did it. My weight went up significantly in this time. That is the more remote past.

More recently (last year or so), I am not just sitting at a computer, and I've been working on my diet, exercise, and general relationship with food. I had already been losing weight on a new diet, prior to starting with MFP 16 days ago, and at that time I thought I was overeating things like carbs and sugar. MFP showed me I am wrong, and it's also showed me that what I've been eating most recently (last couple of months) is not a sufficient amount of calories, and that I especially stink at getting enough of certain stuff like protein and potassium.

What comes after the "and" is a separate-but-related thought. I wanted to edit to add "additionally" in there to make them separate sentences but these forums have an annoying 1-hour edit limit, so I couldn't. Similarly, I wanted to edit "metabolism" to "metabolism/appetite" or just "appetite" to indicate that I'm talking about my desire to eat there. I realized that metabolism was not the correct term, but again... I can't edit anything for an hour. It seems to me that given that the entire rest of my post goes into detail about how I'm looking to add good nutrients without a ton of volume due to my general low appetite, it would be fine, but some commenters are really fixated on that tangential comment rather than my actual question, it seems.

That actually makes a lot more sense. Thank you for clarifying. Other users have touched on great healthy foods to boost calories, but I will add that coconut water and low-sodium V8 are also fantastic for potassium intake. I have muscular calves that were prone to cramping and increasing my potassium intake helped with that and water retention immensely. I love drinking a glass of low-sodium V8 while having string cheese and crackers. It's one of my favorite snacks. Low calorie and well balanced.