Can't seem to focus

Options
Hi all. My work is very stressful and has been for sometime. I am close to feeling I am in the wrong place. This is causing me too feel exhausted even when I am not at work. I am finding it tricky focusing on my calorie intake. I suppose I need to compartmentalise my life but wondered who you deal with stress and weight loss? Xx

Replies

• nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    A lot of us just do the best we can. Take it one meal, one decision at a time and tell yourself, I can do this, I can eat *this* right now and do something good for my body. We fall down, but we get back up, sometimes slowly and painfully, but we eventually get there.
    This is a lifestyle for most of us here, so reminding yourself that this isn't something on a short timeline, but rather a long term decision may help you.
  • run2chill
    run2chill Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reply. ..I think sometimes life can get to busy and we don't allow time for the important things.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I was where you are. I've since quit my job (another 23 days until I'm out of there) as I simply couldn't see a future for myself there and I felt it was beginning to harm my health.

What I also did was go to the doctor for a general check up. Turns out I was deficient in both iron (levels almost not traceable) and B12 (at the very low end of what they consider ok). Dealing with both the deficiencies and the stressful job helped with the exhaustion.

But I still have days where I just can't manage to fully get myself out of bed. I will be physically up and about and sitting at my desk but mentally unable to concentrate, feeling as if my brain were still deeply asleep. On those days, I just take it one moment at a time and try to muddle through as best as I can.

Good luck!
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stress is quite dangerous if it lasts for long periods of time and affects life outside work. Believe me, I know. I spent over a year working up to 20 hour days until I started to lose sensation in my hands and stuff because I didn't take time to even breathe properly throughout the day. I would sleep only every other night and only for 2-3 hours... If you can I would recommend speaking to someone about it and bringing it up with your workplace too, if you feel like you can. Your health is important and if you're healthy you will be able to do a better job at work at the end of the day. It took me a long time to believe people when they told me this, but it's true. No one will thank you for your super human efforts the day you crash and burn out. Better then to evaluate things before they get out of hand and make a plan for yourself.

Speak to your employer or look for work somewhere else where they take better care of their employees.

I hope it works out!
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you can do is beat yourself up. As someone else has said, take it one meal at a time.

Struggling with logging here and there, or missing an exercise class, or putting a couple of lbs on is not failure, it's a minor lapse in concentration. Everyone loses consentration from time to time, that's how car accidents happen. Allow yourself to miss a log from time to time, go on holiday and have fun a couple of times a year and eat what you like on the rare occasion without beating yourself up. Then once the momentary loss of focus has happened, accept that it's not failure and carry on as you were before, log, exercise, eat well. It's about a change of lifestyle long term, if it's not the weight will only come back. So when there are lapses see it as a learning curve and do it different next time. If all of us had stopped learning to walk the first time we fell over and saw it as such a catastrophic failure that we never walked, it wouldn't be much of a life. This is the same thing. I've lost 28lbs, it's taken 9 months to do it, and to get to my target weight I probably have another 9 months to go and even then, maintaining will be trial ad error. It's long haul, not short distance.