Gerd and Pcos - Support needed

Options
I'm looking for fellow Gerd and pcos people to help,advise and encouragee on my weight loss journey! We can do this together!! :)
The more the merrier!

Replies

• jessicaflanders3
    jessicaflanders3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi =) unfortunately yes i have pcos and reflux yeye lol
  • EmmaBateEmmabate
    EmmaBateEmmabate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How have you found losing weight? I've always had trouble can go down to about 56lb and then I get stuck! (And inevitably put the weight back on!) I seem to be forever at 224 lbs ! But, I'm determined to do it this time! I just need like minded people to support me.
  • gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi! Are you medicated? I'm on 1000mg of Metformin for the PCOS (plus birth control) and 40mg Omeprazole for the GERD right now - I feel like after a few years of trying I finally hit a 'sweet spot'. I would historically bounce in between the same 15 or so lbs (240-260ish) but I've just hit 229 this morning with consistent loss since January. I don't know why it clicked this time but something seems to be happening.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I gained weight up to 265 and this January decided enough was enough. I refused metformin and instead opted to do a 6 week course of HCG injections along with an extremely strict diet. I also am using lipotropic injections 2-3 times per week, an inositol powder supplement every night in a cup of hot spearmint tea, and my birth control arm implant. In the six week protocol I lost 35lbs (down to 230) and focused on maintaining for awhile. I started phasing back workouts into my routine and I'm currently averaging 1-2 lbs loss every week (have gotten down to an average of 225) I am planning on doing another round of the protocol the second week of June. I had significant symptom improvement in addition to the weight loss including better readings on my blood work, better blood pressure, less facial hair, less cyst pain, and more regular sleep/energy levels. I am really into lifting and crossfit so i have been eating clean and exercising regularly for the most part leading up to this. Something about the way the hormone therapy retrained my hypothalamus has changed my life for the better. I'm really thrilled with my results and would recommend the protocol to anyone who is serious enough about taking their body back from PCOS to commit to following the protocol by the letter. You CANT cheat. Something as small as a glass of wine or some chocolate once can really mess things up while on the hormone injections. Like I said six weeks of my life was so worth all the improvements I've had.
  • EmmaBateEmmabate
    EmmaBateEmmabate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! Are you medicated? I'm on 1000mg of Metformin for the PCOS (plus birth control) and 40mg Omeprazole for the GERD right now - I feel like after a few years of trying I finally hit a 'sweet spot'. I would historically bounce in between the same 15 or so lbs (240-260ish) but I've just hit 229 this morning with consistent loss since January. I don't know why it clicked this time but something seems to be happening.

I'm only medicated for Gerd (Omeprazole),and I was on medication for pcos(it was ages ago and can't remember the name) but once I fell pregnant (with my now 12 year old daughter) my doctor felt it wasn't necessary for me to take it anymore as obviously I could get pregnant and took me off it. The most weight I ever lost was 3 stone but I've put it all back on and currently weigh 16 stone (224 lb) I'm trying to lose 2 stone but even that,at times,seems impossible!

• gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone, as most medication is, but Metformin is intended to help with insulin production. If you're insulin resistant (I am) it basically regulates the amount of insulin I produce and theoretically helps me process my calories in a more efficient way, which contributes to weight loss. Now, granted, it's been a four+ year journey to find the right combo for me and I still feel like any day it's just going to...stop. But I take 1000mg of the Extended Release (My stomach couldn't tolerate the normal, and it doesn't even particularly like the ER version) once a day and it seems to be doing the trick for once.

A lot of women with PCOS tend to do low-carb diets for the same reasons, to regulate insulin production, but if you're not IR I don't know if it'll help, necessarily. I personally try and eat around 100g net carbs, which isn't super low but is lower than some. Definitely ask your doctor about it, especially if you're having trouble losing.

For reference, I also eat about 1250 calories a day, plus about 200-300 depending on how much exercise I've done that day, averaging 1.8lbs loss a week.