Need help with weight loss, but I'm type 1 diabetic and need carbs

Options
I am wanting to lose 30-40 pounds as I gained a lot. I am 156 pounds right now and would like to be 125-130. I am a type 1 diabetic and I'm finding it hard to balance my diabetes and losing weight. I'm trying to eat healthy, but for my diabetes I need carbs so my blood sugar doesn't go low. I need help or suggestions on what to do. I don't know what to do anymore.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You defiantly need to find a balance. How many carbs are you eating daily? Try to avoid carb loading/carb heavy meals. Keeping carb intake through the day to keep blood sugars stable. Have you work withe dietitian or nutritionist who specializes in this?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Could you ask your doctor for a referral to dietician?
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Stephaniestickles17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    You defiantly need to find a balance. How many carbs are you eating daily? Try to avoid carb loading/carb heavy meals. Keeping carb intake through the day to keep blood sugars stable. Have you work withe dietitian or nutritionist who specializes in this?

Today for carbs I didn't eat too many, but as I didn't eat that much my blood sugars went low. I do have a endocrinologist but very busy women and I only get to meet with her like once a year :(
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You don't need to cut out carbs to lose weight. How many calories did the program here give you when you signed up? Aim for that, read the stickies, monitor over time, adjust as needed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

ETA: If you are on a set insulin dose, you may need to adjust, but that would be something to speak with your physician about. Sliding scale would just adapt from your intake. Apologies if you already know this, I'm often surprised how little some people know about their diabetes.

Thank you for your reply! It is good to know that I can still eat carbs while dieting. Yes I am very educated on my diabetes as I have had it for 9 years. Please don't apologize, you are just trying to help. All suggestions and thoughts help. Thank you ❤️
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options
    Could you ask your doctor for a referral to dietician?

I see a endocrinologist who also has specializes in Dietary aide. She is very good at what she does, but a very busy person so it's hard to see her
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options
    You don't need to cut out carbs to lose weight. How many calories did the program here give you when you signed up? Aim for that, read the stickies, monitor over time, adjust as needed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

ETA: If you are on a set insulin dose, you may need to adjust, but that would be something to speak with your physician about. Sliding scale would just adapt from your intake. Apologies if you already know this, I'm often surprised how little some people know about their diabetes.

Thank you for your reply! It is good to know that I can still eat carbs while dieting. Yes I am very educated on my diabetes as I have had it for 9 years. Please don't apologize, you are just trying to help. All suggestions and thoughts help. Thank you ❤️

The demonizing of carbs has really taken on a life of its own. Gotta love the media and the heath/fitness industry for telling us that no matter what we do, we are doing it wrong :laugh:

Amen :neutral: you should add me :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The demonizing of carbs has really taken on a life of its own. Gotta love the media and the heath/fitness industry for telling us that no matter what we do, we are doing it wrong :laugh:

Can do, but I can be a lousy friend! :drinker:
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is to burn more calories then you eat. You due to medical reasons need to manage carbs. Ok well it may slow things a bit but why not focus on eating slightly less fat, make the carbs even during your day to help keep blood sugar from crash or spike and then move a bit more.
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    All you need to lose weight is to burn more calories then you eat. You due to medical reasons need to manage carbs. Ok well it may slow things a bit but why not focus on eating slightly less fat, make the carbs even during your day to help keep blood sugar from crash or spike and then move a bit more.

Yes, I guess it will be a longer/harder journey for me. But I am motivated to keep on it this time as I have all my pal friends. Thank you ❤️
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options

You're doing a good job so far
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Just warning you! :devil:
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options

Just warning you! :devil:

Haha, I'm warned. But I think you're doing a great job :)

• MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My younger brother is a type 1 as well. Diagnosed at 15 which is a little late, ish. He's 23 now and is in great shape. Some things I can tell you from witnessing his struggles on the way to success are:

1. Stay disciplined. None of us can really help keep you accountable with regards to this because most of us will never truly understand your daily struggle. Counting carbs is hard enough, let alone as a diabetic. He started with myfitpal, but eventually became so good at managing food that he doesn't even need to anymore. I'm sure you'll find your stride with this. (I'm still working on it too)
    2. Be as active as possible. My brother is an EMR and fire fighter in training, very physically demanding jobs. On top of that he works out at least 5 times a week. His schedule allows him to be this active and by no means am I saying that should be your goal, but it is possible (if not harder), to be in great shape with type 1. Just make a conscious effort.
    3. Find inspiration. People who don't know about this disease will automatically assume YOU'RE to blame for your condition. It's a tough thing to deal with. My brother attended a camp years ago, led by former World Champion Rower Chris Jarvis for kids who were newly diagnosed with type 1. He came out of that with a healthy mindset and now had an Olympic Athlete to look to when he found himself struggling. Might help you as well.

You got a tough road no doubt about it, but if you're able to find that inner strength just to deal with this every day, you're already a step ahead of the rest of us. Keep battling. I'm confident they'll find a cure one day.
  • LeelaaC
    LeelaaC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would go over to tudiabetes... a whole forum of type 1 & type 2 diabetics with great advice.
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Options
    My younger brother is a type 1 as well. Diagnosed at 15 which is a little late, ish. He's 23 now and is in great shape. Some things I can tell you from witnessing his struggles on the way to success are:

1. Stay disciplined. None of us can really help keep you accountable with regards to this because most of us will never truly understand your daily struggle. Counting carbs is hard enough, let alone as a diabetic. He started with myfitpal, but eventually became so good at managing food that he doesn't even need to anymore. I'm sure you'll find your stride with this. (I'm still working on it too)
    2. Be as active as possible. My brother is an EMR and fire fighter in training, very physically demanding jobs. On top of that he works out at least 5 times a week. His schedule allows him to be this active and by no means am I saying that should be your goal, but it is possible (if not harder), to be in great shape with type 1. Just make a conscious effort.
    3. Find inspiration. People who don't know about this disease will automatically assume YOU'RE to blame for your condition. It's a tough thing to deal with. My brother attended a camp years ago, led by former World Champion Rower Chris Jarvis for kids who were newly diagnosed with type 1. He came out of that with a healthy mindset and now had an Olympic Athlete to look to when he found himself struggling. Might help you as well.

You got a tough road no doubt about it, but if you're able to find that inner strength just to deal with this every day, you're already a step ahead of the rest of us. Keep battling. I'm confident they'll find a cure one day.

WOW. CONGRATES to him. He is someone I can look up too! Thank you for this ❤️

• DanielPsu
    DanielPsu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Been diabetic for 11 years. I'm not really overweight but I need to drop 20 lbs or so. I've been slacking on exercise cause of work. Regardless, I've heard that the less insulin you take, the quicker you lose weight as, technically, insulin "gains" you weight. I'm not too sure if that's true or not but the lows I've been having got me eating everything in sight.