Noticing your weight loss

Options
According to my scale, i have lost 20 pounds in 10 days. My scale is either weong(im going to try a measuring tape too) or ive lost half the weight i wanted to in a very short time! Either way, i do not see any difference whatsoever. Is this possible? How much weight does it take to start noticing? I weighed 203 and now weigh 183.

Replies

• CarolineJo12
    CarolineJo12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have weighed 203 for a few months now. I weighed in at that two weeks ago at the doctors and just 10 days ago when i started my fitness journey. I weighed in at 183 this morning(nude) and this evening(nude). I have been working my *kitten* off so id like to think ive lost that much already, but it just seems a little crazy for just 10 days. Im sure a lot is water weight. I literally see no difference though. I am going to buy a tape measure and check my measurements as well as go weigh myself on the scale at GNC(their scale is super accurate). Im just crossing my fingers that my scale is telling the truth! Even if its just water weight
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have weighed 203 for a few months now. I weighed in at that two weeks ago at the doctors and just 10 days ago when i started my fitness journey. I weighed in at 183 this morning(nude) and this evening(nude). I have been working my *kitten* off so id like to think ive lost that much already, but it just seems a little crazy for just 10 days. Im sure a lot is water weight. I literally see no difference though. I am going to buy a tape measure and check my measurements as well as go weigh myself on the scale at GNC(their scale is super accurate). Im just crossing my fingers that my scale is telling the truth! Even if its just water weight

Yep. Water weight is not nothing. I get excited to lose it. Usually means I'm headed in the right direction.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    It's not really possible to lose 1kg a day of actual fat loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Different scales will always give you a different result. So will weighing after a different time of day and with clothes on compared to being naked.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yeah pretty much what every1 said try weigh yourself the same time to get the most accurate results I find morning best
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    razzapool wrote: »
    yeah pretty much what every1 said try weigh yourself the same time to get the most accurate results I find morning best

Why? What is the most "accurate"? If you use the same scale, its accuracy is the same regardless of time...right? So wouldn't it give you accurate weight no matter when you used it?

I admittedly beat this drum a lot because I don't think most people understand fluctuations. Most understand that they exist, but I would venture that they do not follow our time schedules, i.e. your water retention doesn't hit its lowest or highest point in that cycle on approximately 24 hour intervals, meaning you are not getting the consistent conditions you are aiming for. For example another poster above mentioned you can "weigh 5 pounds more at the end of the day"...which is probably true. But you can also weigh 5 pounds less at the end of the day. I see this all the time with me ('cause I'm a data nerd, and because I've always been curious as to whether there is really a "best most consistent time to weigh yourself". I'm not convinced there is.........yet). I weigh myself often just for observation of this.

The bottom line for me is the trend (of at least 8 weeks).

Back to topic...no, 20 pounds in 10 days is not fat loss. It's hard to imagine it being anything other than fluids if it truly is 20 pounds.

• CarolineJo12
    CarolineJo12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. Ive come to terms withtrhe fact it is water weight, but that is a great start!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not that this helps, but I have noticed at one of my doctors I'm 5lbs heavier than at home, at the other I'm 10lbs heavier. Granted I have clothing and shoes on at the time of weighing versus nude at home but I go based on my home scale for ease of consistency. I also think I have a lot more food and waste in my system at the doctors because I weigh empty stomach in the morning after at least not eating from 7pm to 6am and at the office I've typically eaten a meal already.
  • ad28517
    ad28517 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To your original question, I have lost 20 # and while I can notice small changes, the best indicator was that I put on a pair of jeans that were a size smaller than usual and they slid right on! Also, people who don't see you everyday are more likely to notice the change than people who see the small increments daily. Good Luck!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The quickest I've ever lost is about 12 lbs in 4 days, but I was very, very swollen with fluid at the time so I knew likely none of it was fat. Were you retaining a lot of fluid that is now gone? You can tell when your watch and rings and shoes suddenly go from tight to loose.

When I'm at my heaviest weight, I don't notice any loss until I've lost more than 20-25 lbs. When I'm smaller, 5 lbs is noticeable.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lost a stone in 2 weeks when I started dieting now I'm on a steady 2lb a week, I think it depends on how much u was eating compared to what u cut down too, I was eating like a pig lol
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't discount poop... once that leaves your system you will weigh less and if you are eating less there is less poop. Poop can account for between 1 and 4 pounds... FYI (I don't recommend actually weighing your poop however.)

Also, many women, myself included suffer from various body dysmorphia disorders (BDD). For me, I can't really tell what I look like in the mirror. What I see and what other people see are very different.

My head is super small and my shoulders are super wide and I am shaped like a mailbox (in my mind). That's why I like the 3D and me program. It's based on my tape measure measurements and gives me a fairly accurate view of what I look like to others.

I also rely on how clothes fit. When my husband's jeans wouldn't stay upon my hips, I called that a win....

It's weird...