really dumb question...

Options
when it says "if you were to eat like this everyday...you'd weigh #" If it says it in red...does that mean that's bad? lol and whats weird is that my total calories weren't even over that maximum amount of calories i should have. stupid question but thx in advance

Replies

• strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It means you will weigh that if you continue to eat at that amount of calories every day for the next 5 weeks
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a mathematical calculation, nothing more. If you're seeing it, it means you've eaten the minimum calories for the day (or it would be scolding you for not eating enough instead). There's no judgment on it.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's also really, really inaccurate, so I wouldn't trust it too much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    Really inaccurate? So how are people losing weight counting calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hoshiko
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

It gives you a time when you'll be at a certain weight, but apparently weight loss isn't linear or something.

Well anyway, hasn't been accurate for me. I use Libra instead.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There are no dumb questions. That feature has been having issues lately. Do you have a fitness tracker linked and negative adjustment enabled? If you do and are getting negative adjustments, it might be that your actual activity is under what the app expects you to burn. Other than that, I don't know. I haven't used that feature in years.
  • Hoshiko
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I believe she's talking about MFP's prediction itself - which assumes that every day for the next five weeks would be exactly identical to today in terms of caloric intake and expenditure, and excludes the possible extenuating circumstances (water/glycogen/sodium fluctuations, hormonal fluctuations, etc.) and the fact that weight loss isn't a linear process.

In other words, the five-week prediction is about as accurate as throwing a dart at a dartboard or writing down ten numbers and pulling one out of a hat.

Yes thanks, that's exactly what I meant. The CICO equation is obviously correct, it's the "in 5 weeks" prediction I have issues with.
  • sabrinafaire2
    sabrinafaire2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's not inaccurate if you are not HONEST. Completely honest. There isn't any judgement, we do that to ourselves. The program is merely suggesting eating "that way" everyday for 5 weeks, or it's trying to be encouraging when it suggests that perhaps what you ate that day needs some work. If the data you type in is HONEST in foods, water and exercise, it's going to give you honest feedback. The suggestions are like "guidelines" on how to improve, how to scale back or good job. Try to use "serving size" portion(s) [look at the labels], drink at least 64oz of water. These are important. Find new ways [recipes], simple ways to make the foods you eat different from how you always eat them. These things help change everything up. This program takes what you type in, and gives you feedback. Similar to losing weight, how honest you are in eating and exercise determines how much or how little you'll lose.
  • Hoshiko
    Options
    Totally agree that is is meant to be encouraging. I only mentioned it because when you're new it can be frustrating if you are depending on a certain weight in 5 weeks and don't know about the other factors that AnvilHead mentioned above that can mess up that prediction (water/glycogen/sodium fluctuations, hormonal fluctuations, etc.).

I agree with you that if you follow the calorie suggestions and are accurate and honest eventually you will reach that weight. It just might not happen in exactly 5 weeks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's not inaccurate if you are not HONEST. Completely honest. There isn't any judgement, we do that to ourselves. The program is merely suggesting eating "that way" everyday for 5 weeks, or it's trying to be encouraging when it suggests that perhaps what you ate that day needs some work. If the data you type in is HONEST in foods, water and exercise, it's going to give you honest feedback. The suggestions are like "guidelines" on how to improve, how to scale back or good job. Try to use "serving size" portion(s) [look at the labels], drink at least 64oz of water. These are important. Find new ways [recipes], simple ways to make the foods you eat different from how you always eat them. These things help change everything up. This program takes what you type in, and gives you feedback. Similar to losing weight, how honest you are in eating and exercise determines how much or how little you'll lose.

It's still not an accurate representation, though. You could be logging even pieces of gum and spices to the fraction of the gram, but if your calorie intake and activity level are not exactly the same to the calorie every single day for 5 whole weeks (or averages to that number), plus other factors like water weight and individual metabolic rate, that feature can be inaccurate. It's basically there for motivation of some sorts and is not in any way there to accurately represent what your weight will be doing 5 weeks from now. It basically tells you "keep what you did today up, and you will get so and so results", so seeing a predicted gain may motivate you to rein in your calories and seeing a predicted loss may motivate you to continue doing what you are doing.

To know your own practical weight loss predictions, using your own data over time to see how your weight behaved is a better way.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I count calories and lose weight even though i'm not making it as complicated weighing all the foods i'm eating. If I make a 500 calorie deficit I loss 1kg in two weeks how is it inaccurate?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member pop
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This, and I think it depends on a person logging sometimes they eat more than what they logging that's why for some it's not linear :smile:

• Hoshiko
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    I count calories and lose weight even though i'm not making it as complicated weighing all the foods i'm eating. If I make a 500 calorie deficit I loss 1kg in two weeks how is it inaccurate?

Do you always lose exactly 1kg in exactly two weeks when you have a 500 calorie deficit?

I think people are misunderstanding what I was saying. I'm not questioning that you would lose 1kg, only suggesting that it may not show up on the scale in exactly 2 weeks. It's the timeframe given that I've found to be inaccurate.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but I believe she's talking about MFP's prediction itself - which assumes that every day for the next five weeks would be exactly identical to today in terms of caloric intake and expenditure, and excludes the possible extenuating circumstances (water/glycogen/sodium fluctuations, hormonal fluctuations, etc.) and the fact that weight loss isn't a linear process.

In other words, the five-week prediction is about as accurate as throwing a dart at a dartboard or writing down ten numbers and pulling one out of a hat.
    I agree for some reasons last week i've eaten a 7000 calorie surplus than what I needed In a whole week but though i weigh myself this morning I don't see any move up from the scale numbers. I also exercise as much as possible so i'm a active so i think i underestimate my exercise because if MFP give me 700 calorie burn I divide it by 2 and the half of that 700 is what I'm eating maybe I burn a actual 700 cals lol :lol:

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yes thanks, that's exactly what I meant. The CICO equation is obviously correct, it's the "in 5 weeks" prediction I have issues with.

Yea I agree it is very inaccurate since I believe it is based on MFP's calorie calculations for you based on the stats you enter. I enter my own cal goal based on my TDEE and it always says I'm gaining no matter what. The best was when it told me I would be 10lbs heavier in 5 weeks.. hahaha... Ya ok MFP
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Agreed. I don't think it has ever accurately predicted my "5 week" mark. If it did I would have been at my goal 4 months ago or based on last night, not until this coming December.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It means MFP is assuming your are a robot and will eat/move/live/behave/sleep/think/talk/exist the exact same way as you did today, for the next 5 weeks. Ignore it in exchange for a weight-trend app.
  • clark59j_99
    clark59j_99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That number, at least what I've noticed, is your current weight minus your caloric deficit for that day multiplied by 35 and divided by 3500. So if you're 200 pounds, had a 1000 calorie deficit for the day, it would tell you your weight in 5 weeks should be 190. 200-((35×1000)/3500)->200-(35000/3500)->200-10->190. It's over simplified, but a useful tool for you to see if you need/want to adjust your deficit.
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are no dumb questions, only dumb people.