It's Not Hunger It's Thirst

Options

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I just hope whoever invented this myth sold enough books to finance a comfortable, quiet retirement so he doesn't do any more damage.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ok sometimes I just want my belly to feel full and water helps with that. As do plain vegetables, 1 lb of raw green beans will make me feel full for fee calories. Drinking a glass of water will make me feel full briefly. Now that does not mean that I don't crave an entire bag of bbq potato chips or an entire box of thin mints just that those are cravings not hungry.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »

I don't know how new you are to this, but I have to say you have figured a lot out early. Good job!

That's an interesting question (even though it wasn't really a question).

I've been on my current weight loss journey since 18th March. However, I have had various attempts over the years, with varying degrees of success.

Things have changed for me this time though. I've taken a good long look at what didn't work so well for me previously and worked on solutions to those issues.

Also, having a dysfunctional relationship with food for around 20 years has given me a huge interest in nutrition and weight loss so I'm always reading about the subject and trying to make sense of the information out there.

P.S. No double stuff Oreos here :disappointed:

I think you're very wise, and it's obvious you've got your *kitten* together this time around :smiley:

Btw we don't have double stuffed oreos here in Aus either, just the regular kind which taste like every other bickie on the market.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My *kitten* is indeed well and truly together ;)

Oh no Oreos are definitely unique here. In fact we now even have Oreo Thins here too - which are just thinner Oreos - with less cream in them too. Like, what's the point? :angry:
  • seantnash
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kitten?!?! Didn't realise there was a profanity filter :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My *kitten* is indeed well and truly together ;)

Oh no Oreos are definitely unique here. In fact we now even have Oreo Thins here too - which are just thinner Oreos - with less cream in them too. Like, what's the point? :angry:

Best part of Oreo Thins is having 4 cookies instead of 2. 4 is better than 2. ;)

I can get Double Stuf Oreos in Canada if anyone is will to make a food trade? *winkwink*
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I'm always so amused when people tell me that I might be confusing hunger with thirst.

No *kitten* Sherlock... I drink 3 liters of fluids a day (tea/coffee/water/coke zero). How do you figure I could be thirsty?

That really drives me up the walls. Good for you for not falling for all that silliness!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have never ever confused hunger with thirst. My signals in that regard are pretty distinct. I've also never mistaken the desire to eat a candy bar for hunger, that's just a pleasure seeking behavior. I'm curious, how does it feel to confuse hunger with thirst? Is it true confusion or is it that low level hunger is just satisfied for a short while for some people by the signals sent when the stomach expands, but it's not a true confusion? I tried it and it doesn't work for me, I just feel sloshy but still hungry.
  • seantnash
    Options
    It's so reassuring to hear that I'm not the only who knows it's not thirst. Obviously my "packet of cookies" was an exaggeration but I do know a cookie is much more likely to satisfy me when I'm feeling hungry than a glass of water - even if it's not the healthiest way to satisfy that hunger. It's part hunger cue and part lust cue.

Can't say I've ever lusted after a glass of water :p
  • evscha
    evscha Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find that water does help. At least for a moment to reconsider if I actually need to eat/snack or not. If I do, I find that after the water I don't want much so maybe it isn't a bad idea after all. And sometimes I am really just thirsty.
  • seantnash
    Options
    I like the philosophy that if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple then you're not really hungry.

I detest apples so I make sure I'm never hungry o:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

P.S. No double stuff Oreos here :disappointed:

yes there are, if you don't mind paying loads for them... american candy shops stock them.

Peanut butter creme are my personal favourite... again, only from american candy shops. the English peanut butter version are horrible.
  • seantnash
    Options
    Oh yeah you can get them on import but they cost the Earth as you said. I did get some of the birthday cake Oreos from Tescos for a friend. They were expensive but LOVELY :smiley:
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If i drink instead of eat then i just end up sloshy AND hungry, I have never mistaken thirst for hunger. I wish it was as simple as "I don't want that delicious snack, i'll just have a glass of water instead and it will magically disappear my hunger", yeah, no!

Me too! My husband thinks I'm crazy when I tell him I just feel the water sloshing around my empty stomach!