Stuck at 160 pounds

Options
Hey just looking for a bit of advice if possible. I have been dieting and exercising now for around a year and slowly but surely have dropped 25 pounds but I have another 35 to go and I have been stuck for a month. I have limited the number of calories I am taking in agaib and upped he exercise but no shift. Any practical suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• becky6323
    becky6323 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Same here. Lost about 35lbs and I've been stuck for the last 3 months. I still have 60 left to go :(
  • scarlett624kh
    scarlett624kh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting after gaining 10lbs in a month. My weight won't move. I'm 161lbs.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You might need to adjust your calories downward because your body burns fewer just existing now that you've lost some weight. You might want to recalculate your BMR with your new stats. Also try to examine if you're somehow getting extra calories (even say from switching a brand of cereal or eating one fruit instead of another) or exercising less.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What exactly does "limited the amount of calories" mean? Have to figured out your TDEE and consistently eaten below that AND accurately measured with a food scale and accounted for everything you eat for at least a month? If not, start there!
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I tried lowering my calorie goal to 1200 and my metabolism crashed. By that I mean, I felt like crud and became very constipated. When I raised it back up to 1380 (or a 1 lb./week weight loss goal) I got off my plateau and started losing weight again.

I've gotten stuck a couple of times and for me, reducing calories more just results in my metabolism rebelling. I'm also 55, so that makes a difference.

If I want to lose weight at my age, I have to sweat it off. Try adding a HIIT workout, or walk a few more miles a week, or whatever gets your heart and breath pumping.

Don't give up!
  • heatherlcarey426
    heatherlcarey426 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice particularly Meredith :-) I have been sticking to 1200 calories and exercising but still not shifting the weight. I was considering some spin classes for the HIIT. Maybe an increase in calories would work as I have been feeling sluggish. Will not be beaten!
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey Heathericarey426 ... Ya I know what you are going though I was stuck at 280 for a year. I was eating right and going to the gym. I could not break 280 I had lost 30lbs the 1st year. I got discouraged and quit going to the gym, but kept eating right. Dr. told me my sugar was going back up and ask what happened. I told him I quit going to gym and I was stuck at 280lbs. I went back to gym lowered my weights and added more aerobic type work out. Lighter weights faster reps and little running. Trying to burn more calories at a faster rate. About 2 months ago I broke 280lbs I'm at 270lbs now. I eat smaller amounts of food and get full now. Slow and steady wins the race, I'm not telling you, that you need to follow what I did. Just don't give up on yourself, there are many great people here that can and will encourage you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything to make sure you are actually eating the amount of calories you think you.

7fh8qg9b64cm.jpg
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You could try mixing up the type of exercise you're doing. I had a really hard time breaking into the 160s, but after adding HIIT a few times a week, I easily broke the plateau. Your body will adapt to the number of calories and exercise you're doing - bodies love to be efficient.

The biggest element is just staying calm and consistent. If you are already measuring, weight, logging, etc. correctly, then you have to remember that loss isn't linear. I know that it sounds dumb and it's all over the boards, but it is true. Make sure all your numbers are accurate and just wait. There were weeks that I would be working crazy hard and not seeing any scale change, only to wake up one morning with a 3+ pound loss.

Stick with it, you can totally do this!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Accurately & honestly track your calories in, eat at a deficit, and over time you will lose weight.

Honesty means accounting for every bite, lick taste. Accuracy means using a food scale for e-v-e-r-y bit of solid food. Spoons and cups for liquids only. Accounting for beverages, condiments, cooking oils. Entering your own recipes rather than assuming someone else's entry in the database is exactly the same as yours. And patience because a standard rate of loss is .5 to 1 pounds per week when you have ~25-35 pounds to lose, so it will take 4-8-12-etc. weeks to track results.