Anyone cutting out carbs as much as possible?

Options
I have tried to eliminate as many carbs as possible. I don't eat breads of any kind, pasta, baked goods, fruit"diabetic" the list could go on forever.
I do eat some carbs from veggies everyday. I don't he high carb veggies.
I would love to stay under 20 carbs a day but end up between 25-35 everyday.
Have a great day

Replies

• claudiawalsh1
    claudiawalsh1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could you share a sample day's meal plan? I'm interested in trying to cut back to around 40-60 carbs. I don't lose any weight following the prescribed plan.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I am on a ketogenic diet and eat 20g or less of carbs each day. Some days my total will be higher but I usually go by my net carbs. There are some great keto cookbooks and websites for recipe ideas to make meal planning easier. My favorite is ruled.me, though I use google for specific recipes until I find one I like.

If you're eating mostly veggies for carbs, your net carbs are probably pretty low but if you're still strugging, it could be that your body doesn't have enough fuel to run off of. Typically if you go low on carbs, you need to up your fats. Healthy fats are the best, but I'm not going to lie, I've lost 23 lbs eating low carb waffles, ice cream, bacon, and other not so healthy foods (mixed in with good stuff of course). If you have any questions or want any more info, feel free to message me. Good luck!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For many years, my only carbs are from vegetables. I don't track or count calories so I have no idea how many grams I consume.

Do you eat dairy? If so, maybe cut down a bit and see if you're at your target amount.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have tried to eliminate as many carbs as possible. I don't eat breads of any kind, pasta, baked goods, fruit"diabetic" the list could go on forever.
    Have a great day

It sounds like you are doing a version of the ketogenic diet. What are your fat/protein macros?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Have a great day

Do you exercise at all? I know that different things work for different people so I am by no means trying to tell you what works for me is the ultimate way to do thins buuuuuut if you work out you do need to replenish your glycogen stores and that comes from eating starchy carbs. Not in excess . . . but in moderate amounts, of course.

I am a runner, and I lift once a week with a personal trainer to cross train my body, and I couldn't cut out carbs because of how active I am . . . I tried and I was so tired, and grouchy and my workouts sucked big time. So, if you're active maybe something to consider. Your body needs certain amounts of nutrients so I wouldn't want to see your workouts suffer.

Also - I read your bio on your profile page. You mention on day 1 (IE Mondays, after the weekend) you do well then on Tuesdays you tend to binge and want to eat everything in sight, Wednesdays you're back on but still crave the foods you don't want to eat . . . and so on.

Here's some food for thought: this isn't working for you, as a person. You might like the idea of low carb or no carb but from what you're saying happens in your history this doesn't work. Your body isn't getting enough nutrients to satiate that hunger and craving to eliminate those things you don't want in your diet. Maybe moderation is the way to go, until you can slowly remove those things. If you find you're consistently, week after week, starting over then I'd say what you're doing isn't working for who you are and your lifestyle. But just some food for thought . . .
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue on a low carb path, consider joining / checking out this group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT and heavy workouts so I try not to go too low with my carbs. I stay around 30-50 a day. Most of my carbs come from vegetables (not the starchy kind). You can still have great results without going too low on carbs.

I used to be on an extremely low carb diet which lasted for about 8 months. The fat did come off and the number on the scale was great, however, I was skinny fat and extremely unhealthy. I lost a lot of my hair and started having consent chest pains and kidney issues. I was passing out and could hardly walk up the stairs to my condo. It got really scary for me and my doctor told me that being on a low carb diet (less than 20 a day) for a long period of time could be dangerous. I know that everyone is different but it scared me enough to change my way of eating. I was around about 15 carbs a day and I didn't do "net" carbs, they were 15 actual carbs.

I believe that you should still see good results from 35 carbs a day with a good diet and exercise. Just need persistence and time. :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT and heavy workouts so I try not to go too low with my carbs. I stay around 30-50 a day. Most of my carbs come from vegetables (not the starchy kind). You can still have great results without going too low on carbs.

I used to be on an extremely low carb diet which lasted for about 8 months. The fat did come off and the number on the scale was great, however, I was skinny fat and extremely unhealthy. I lost a lot of my hair and started having consent chest pains and kidney issues. I was passing out and could hardly walk up the stairs to my condo. It got really scary for me and my doctor told me that being on a low carb diet (less than 20 a day) for a long period of time could be dangerous. I know that everyone is different but it scared me enough to change my way of eating. I was around about 15 carbs a day and I didn't do "net" carbs, they were 15 actual carbs.

I believe that you should still see good results from 35 carbs a day with a good diet and exercise. Just need persistence and time. :)

Isn't this still low? I'm at about 100 . . . .
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Why would you want so few carbs?
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

Because it blows off the water and fat among other things
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

30-50 is considered low carb and you DR sounds like he does not know what he is talking about..

Not a fan of low carb, but don't see how it can be "dangerous"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

fixed it for you
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

fixed it for you

I was humoring them
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you want to continue on a low carb path, consider joining / checking out this group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Second this. You'll get a lot more information without having to provide your medical record.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have a great day

Are you subtracting fiber from your carbs? Fiber is considered a carb, it is bennificial, but it can not be digested or used for energy. Carb - fiber= "Net carb"

I eat beween 25 to 75 grams of Net carbs a day (80% from veggies and fruit). I'm moderately active, strength train 3 times a week, 2-3 sprint HIIT sessions a week, 6-12 mile hikes/ bike rides every other weekend for fun.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am just eating lower carbs for now while I am doing a specific training program. This is only my opinion and I am not telling anyone what is high or low carbs or what is good or bad.
  • ad28517
    ad28517 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am on a Dr. regulated regimen of 90g carbs a day (NOT net, but total carbs)/90 g protein (although I am usually at about 60g) and 1200 calories. I have lost 20 lbs in two months with moderate exercise (4 x week, 40 min), and I have about 20 more lbs to lose. I find that I focus so much on keeping carbs low, (most days around 40g or less) that I don't have much room calorically for a large volume of food each day. I feel like this is very sustainable.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Only do the low carb diet if you can maintain it and it works for you, there is no weight loss benefit to Keto vs. another protocol, as long as your Protein and Calories are the same what will matter is CICO not carbs. You can 100% gain weight on a keto diet if you eat too many calories.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Have a great day

unless you have a medical condition it is not necessary for weight loss.

plugs stats into MFP, eat to that number, get a food scale, weigh/log everything as accurately as possible, and find some form of activity that you enjoy; oh and continue to eat the foods that you enjoy, just less of them.

carbs are not bad...

This^^^ Only do the low carb diet if you can maintain it and it works for you, there is no weight loss benefit to Keto vs. another protocol, what will matter is CICO not carbs. You can 100% gain weight on a keto diet if you eat too many calories. Only do it if it works for you dont do it because you think you will lose more weight.