Question(s) about weight loss and lifting weights...

Options
beanfacekilla
beanfacekilla Posts: 69 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Sup.

So, I have been in caloric deficit for a tad over one month now. I was lifting weights at the gym today, and I was thinking about the weight I lift, or can't lift.

So my question is this:

If I am trying to lose fat, and I'm in a caloric deficit, should I be trying to add weight every week? Should I just keep lifting the same weight to just maintain? I have read and heard that it's impossible to have muscle and strength gains in a deficit.

I am a dude, so obv I am a little concerned about ego driven nonsense like how much weight I can/can't lift. I am really pretty weak in every aspect except calves for some reason (perhaps it because I play drums for years?).

I lift weights because I want to get stronger, have more muscles, and look better. I don't want to wither away to a skeleton losing weight in calorie deficit.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this subject. If a derail of thread is necessary to discuss pertinent points, by all means, please do so.

Thanks.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    What programme are you following?

In a deficit one should be able to progress in strength quite quickly as a new lifter using an established programme.

Also as a new lifter you may get a little hypertrophy, but in general a deficit can give strength gains but not muscle growth gains.

So, work with an established programme, or one designed for you, and continue increasing weight lifted as per programme design.

Cheers, h.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1) It's not *impossible* to have muscle gains in a deficit (especially for beginners and/or overly fat people who have plenty of reserves to draw from), but it is very difficult and gains, if any, will be fairly minimal and limited in duration.

2) It's definitely possible to experience strength gains while in a deficit. Neuromuscular adaptation and increased efficiency in technique can take you quite a ways before you exhaust those "gains" - but eventually at some point, it will come down to you'll have to get bigger to get stronger.

3) If you can add weight to your lifts in a deficit, go for it - it's a great thing, ride it for as long as you can! Eventually you'll reach a point where you'll plateau, but nobody can tell you exactly where that will be or when it will happen. You may or may not be able to add weight every week, but add it whenever you can (keeping good form and staying within your rep goals) - progression is one of the key elements of strength training.

4) Don't get hung up on the ego thing of comparing yourself to others. Lift what you can lift, and lift heavier when you can. Unless you're in a powerlifting competition, what you lift vs. what someone else lifts doesn't matter. Letting your ego override your common sense can be a one way ticket to injury.
  • beanfacekilla
    Options
    What programme are you following?

In a deficit one should be able to progress in strength quite quickly as a new lifter using an established programme.

Also as a new lifter you may get a little hypertrophy, but in general a deficit can give strength gains but not muscle growth gains.

So, work with an established programme, or one designed for you, and continue increasing weight lifted as per programme design.

Cheers, h.

I do 9 exercises. I got it from some website. I will list them...

I shoot for 10 reps 3x in each exercise, except crunches, and when I add weight I start at 6 or 7 reps, and then increase reps gradually.

So I warm up by walking on 7 or 8% incline on treadmill, 3.0 MPH, for 5 mins.

1. Bench press, started with dumbbells, now switched to barbell.

2. Lat pulldown, cable machine.

3. Overhead dumbbell press.

4. Leg press at first, just completed my second workout with squats instead. Form is difficult, and I think I have the wrong shoes for squats (running shoes). Apparently, I need all stars or something.

5. Lying leg curl, machine.

6. Rope press down on cable tower machine.

7. Barbell biceps curl.

8. Standing calf raise, machine, rests on shoulders.

9. Crunches. Started with 3 sets of 15, now doing 3 sets of 20.

Then, I go to stair climbing machine, and do that for 20 mins, and I monitor my heart rate. It's usually around 150-155 BPM at peak, and stays there around 75% of the 20 mins.

I do this usually 3x/week, but the first time I switched to squats was last Wednesday (5 days ago), and my legs were just toast dude. I just went again a couple hours ago and did workout again.

I track my reps in notepad app on phone, and weights, and cardio. I have this watch that monitors heart rate, so things are coming along. Probably losing 1 or 2lbs per week so far? Hard to tell exactly but I'm not starving myself.

You can look at my food diary I think, if you desire.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
  • beanfacekilla
    Options
    Oh yeah squats I've been doing 3 sets of 8. They are a nasty tough exercise.
  • beanfacekilla
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) It's not *impossible* to have muscle gains in a deficit (especially for beginners and/or overly fat people who have plenty of reserves to draw from), but it is very difficult and gains, if any, will be fairly minimal and limited in duration.

2) It's definitely possible to experience strength gains while in a deficit. Neuromuscular adaptation and increased efficiency in technique can take you quite a ways before you exhaust those "gains" - but eventually at some point, it will come down to you'll have to get bigger to get stronger.

3) If you can add weight to your lifts in a deficit, go for it - it's a great thing, ride it for as long as you can! Eventually you'll reach a point where you'll plateau, but nobody can tell you exactly where that will be or when it will happen. You may or may not be able to add weight every week, but add it whenever you can (keeping good form and staying within your rep goals) - progression is one of the key elements of strength training.

4) Don't get hung up on the ego thing of comparing yourself to others. Lift what you can lift, and lift heavier when you can. Unless you're in a powerlifting competition, what you lift vs. what someone else lifts doesn't matter. Letting your ego override your common sense can be a one way ticket to injury.

Thanks for this! It's all very helpful and motivating!

I have been adding weight here and there. Maybe once a week. The overhead press with dumbbells is my absolute worst in terms of ability. I have made very little progress in that one. Form is pretty tough, as I want to arch my back when the reps are getting really tough. I do it seated, I don't know if I'm supposed to stand?

Anyways thanks again.

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You'll work more of your core muscles when you're standing, I think. :)
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You could try switching to 5 sets of 5. Do that for a while. Then go back to 3-4 sets 10-12 reps. Or do 5x5 on you first couple of lifts (bench, squats, lifts like that). I personally dont like setting a certain rep range. If I usually can do a certain weight 10-12 reps but I can get it up 15, I do 15. Then add weight and shoot for 10-12. If I get 8, I do 8. I agree with the fella that said don't worry about comparing to others. Too many guys trying to do more weight than they can do correctly. Try to keep good form and choose weights that you are comfortable with but struggle with your last couple reps but try not to compromise your form and "cheat". Unless its on heavy bar bell curls or something like that. I would also maybe do chest and tris one day. Back and bis one day and legs and shoulders one day. At least give yourself 48 hours to recover. Recovery is very important. After awhile, maybe do each 2x a week. Just stick to it and you will better yourself and see results. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • beanfacekilla
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nab212 wrote: »
    You could try switching to 5 sets of 5. Do that for a while. Then go back to 3-4 sets 10-12 reps. Or do 5x5 on you first couple of lifts (bench, squats, lifts like that). I personally dont like setting a certain rep range. If I usually can do a certain weight 10-12 reps but I can get it up 15, I do 15. Then add weight and shoot for 10-12. If I get 8, I do 8. I agree with the fella that said don't worry about comparing to others. Too many guys trying to do more weight than they can do correctly. Try to keep good form and choose weights that you are comfortable with but struggle with your last couple reps but try not to compromise your form and "cheat". Unless its on heavy bar bell curls or something like that. I would also maybe do chest and tris one day. Back and bis one day and legs and shoulders one day. At least give yourself 48 hours to recover. Recovery is very important. After awhile, maybe do each 2x a week. Just stick to it and you will better yourself and see results. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck and hope this helps.

It does help. Thank you! I have been thinking about switching routine, but I'm unsure if I should wait until I reach my goal weight? I'm essentially doing like a 6 month cut probably, or more.....
  • nab212
    Options
    Most important thing is that you are doing something man. Hang in there with it. You'll learn as you go.
  • nab212
    Options
    Don't get discouraged if it seems to take awhile or you don't see the growth you want right away...bc it's the way it is. But you'll get there.
  • beanfacekilla
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nab212 wrote: »
    Don't get discouraged if it seems to take awhile or you don't see the growth you want right away...bc it's the way it is. But you'll get there.

It does take time, alot of time. I believe I started this program with the correct mindset though. I basically knew that I needed to change my lifestyle. I was somewhat prepared for the length of time it would take. However, I think I was a little bit optimistic at first.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would switch to a 3x week full body routine comprised of compound movements.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I concur. You're spending time isolating muscles that will benefit greatly from just a full body routine, especially since you are in a deficit right now.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look at some of the progressive lifting programs. I started on Stronglifts 5x5 (only 5 lifts involved squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, bent over row) but hated the bent over rows so when I plateaued on bench and OHP I moved over 5/3/1 which I run on a 2 day split and then add a few accessories in.

Ok I'm a somewhat older female, but I've definitely seen strength gains and my body shape has changed completely, far more so than by just losing the weight.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I have been adding weight here and there. Maybe once a week. The overhead press with dumbbells is my absolute worst in terms of ability. I have made very little progress in that one. Form is pretty tough, as I want to arch my back when the reps are getting really tough. I do it seated, I don't know if I'm supposed to stand?

Anyways thanks again.

Have you thought of moving over to the barbell? OHP is my absolute worst lift and it's hard to get the tiny increases in weight that will take you through a plateau with dumbells. I was stuck at 20kg (the bar) for ages until my little people bought me some fractional (0.25kg/0.5kg) plates.

• beanfacekilla
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

I concur. You're spending time isolating muscles that will benefit greatly from just a full body routine, especially since you are in a deficit right now.

What do you guys mean? I thought I was doing full body routine? I listed exercises above.... 9 in all...

What do you recommend? 5x5 routine?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    The full body routine people are referring to is a planned programme that consists of a few compound lifts that are set out in a balance way so muscles progress in strength equally, avoiding unbalanced development that could cause injuries.

They also have the sets, reps and progression defined for better strength gain than an ad hoc programme, or one that is primarily isolation moves.

Here are some good programmes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • beanfacekilla
    Options
    The full body routine people are referring to is a planned programme that consists of a few compound lifts that are set out in a balance way so muscles progress in strength equally, avoiding unbalanced development that could cause injuries.

They also have the sets, reps and progression defined for better strength gain than an ad hoc programme, or one that is primarily isolation moves.

Here are some good programmes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.

Thanks.