It's Not Hunger It's Thirst

Options

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    If I drink water to curb hunger, I pee more often. My body knows it's not thirsty and basically opens a straight pipeline from my stomach to my bladder. "You're hungry and this ain't food. Eat or pee every 15 minutes."

It's not about eating a box of cookies either. If hubby wants to take me out for a meal and he gets home a couple hours after I would normally eat, I have to suffer with hypoglycemia symptoms if I want to eat with him. Water or other drinks don't fix that.

I do that anyway - its how I keep my steps up at work!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »

P.S. No double stuff Oreos here :disappointed:

yes there are, if you don't mind paying loads for them... american candy shops stock them.

Awwww!! I was going to propose a trade where I send him double stuff Oreos and he sends me Mars bars (just WHY did they stop selling them in the US?) Now he doesn't have to trade. :'(
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Large branches of UK Tesco have started stocked double stuff Oreos. They're on offer (54p per packet )at the moment.

Go on, ask me how I know! No, actually, don't. Confessing how many packets of Oreos are in my cupboard would be deeply embarrassing. :D
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Large branches of UK Tesco have started stocked double stuff Oreos. They're on offer (54p per packet )at the moment.

Go on, ask me how I know! No, actually, don't. Confessing how many packets of Oreos are in my cupboard would be deeply embarrassing. :D

Soooo... how do you know? :tongue:
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Um, I just happened to be passing by that way...? Yes, that's it. And my shoelace needed tying, so I stopped and stooped to tie it, and happened to notice the promotions... *shifty eyes*
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm impressed they're still in your cupboard :naughty:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I like the philosophy that if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple then you're not really hungry.

I detest apples so I make sure I'm never hungry o:)

I tell my son this ALL THE TIME! :D
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes confuse thirst and hunger because I don't drink enough water and my hunger signals are pretty borked anyway. I think I'm the only person I've seen on these boards who gives that advice as part of my seven.steps to hunger copy/paste. I see that a lot of people in this thread apparently really hate me right now, but I don't care. Some people have screwy hunger signals. For those like me, drinking more water can help. For those not like me, there are plenty of other things to try. Take the advice you can use and leave the rest.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Um, I just happened to be passing by that way...? Yes, that's it. And my shoelace needed tying, so I stopped and stooped to tie it, and happened to notice the promotions... *shifty eyes*

Ah!!! So it was self-defense! Happens to me and peanut M&Ms when they're on promotion... :wink:

You turn your back for a second and the buggers launch a surprise attack at you. You have no choice but to buy them...
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    I do sometimes confuse thirst and hunger because I don't drink enough water and my hunger signals are pretty borked anyway. I think I'm the only person I've seen on these boards who gives that advice as part of my seven.steps to hunger copy/paste. I see that a lot of people in this thread apparently really hate me right now, but I don't care. Some people have screwy hunger signals. For those like me, drinking more water can help. For those not like me, there are plenty of other things to try. Take the advice you can use and leave the rest.

Fear not. The discussion had gone off-piste, so I didn't mention it, but I did find that I used to unthinkingly gravitate to food when I was actually slightly thirsty. I don't know to what extent that was habit, and to what extent it was borked body.

Now? It's still difficult to tell the difference between a genuine light urge and habit, iyswim, but I drink a lot more.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

P.S. No double stuff Oreos here :disappointed:

yes there are, if you don't mind paying loads for them... american candy shops stock them.

Awwww!! I was going to propose a trade where I send him double stuff Oreos and he sends me Mars bars (just WHY did they stop selling them in the US?) Now he doesn't have to trade. :'(

What you really want is a Lion Bar.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I like your copy/pasta!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    The House of Helium would like peanut butter M&Ms. We'll give you Cadbury's for it.

The local shop sells tiny packets for £1.41 in their speciality American sweets display, which I call ruinously expensive.
  • seantnash
    Options
    Fear not @diannethegeek - nobody will hate you :) everybody is different so, whilst it may not be true for me, it may be true for you.

This thread was intended as a very much light-hearted observation. I do wonder though if it's thirst that's making you hungry and not just boredom - something the act of going to get a drink will cure as it gives you something to occupy your brain with.

I'd still choose an Oreo over a glass of water any day of the week :naughty:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Fear not @diannethegeek - nobody will hate you :) everybody is different so, whilst it may not be true for me, it may be true for you.

This thread was intended as a very much light-hearted observation. I do wonder though if it's thirst that's making you hungry and not just boredom - something the act of going to get a drink will cure as it gives you something to occupy your brain with.

If I were you, I wouldn't start down the road of believing you know more about my body than I do. I've been studying my hunger signals for half a decade. Sometimes it's boredom. Sometimes it's anxiety and depression. Sometimes it's exhaustion. And sometimes it's even thirst, which I know many here believe is just a myth. I'm apparently a unicorn or something, but it happens.

Keep in mind that when left to my own devices I have a cup of coffee in the morning, a diet soda with my afternoon snack, and then I won't drink again until maybe right before bed. I get a lot of hydration from foods, but not enough.
  • seantnash
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean you personally @diannethegeek - I meant a general "you" rather than specific "you" if you see what I mean. I was just pondering out loud if it's the act of doing something rather than the water in itself for some people.

As I said though, everyone is different so for some it will be true and others it won't.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

If I were you, I wouldn't start down the road of believing you know more about my body than I do. I've been studying my hunger signals for half a decade. Sometimes it's boredom. Sometimes it's anxiety and depression. Sometimes it's exhaustion. And sometimes it's even thirst, which I know many here believe is just a myth. I'm apparently a unicorn or something, but it happens.

Keep in mind that when left to my own devices I have a cup of coffee in the morning, a diet soda with my afternoon snack, and then I won't drink again until maybe right before bed. I get a lot of hydration from foods, but not enough.

Ah no, you are not :smile: if I forget to drink after a long run, I become ravenously hungry (and sometimes I forget because I rarely am thirsty).
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Give drinking Pedialyte a try.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Give drinking Pedialyte a try.

No thanks. That stuff is vile.

I will confess that I drink more water so I don't stress/emotionally/boredom eat.