Goals for shorties?

Options
laurelisme
laurelisme Posts: 6 Member
So I set a goal to lose 1 lb a week. And it's not happening. A little playing around and I see MFP defaults to 1200 cal per day and doesn't want to go lower. My calorie goal for .5 lbs per week is also 1200 calories. 2lbs a week - you guessed it - 1200 calories! I'm 5'2". We are not all the same size. How do you figure out workable calorie goals for us shorties? BTW a fat caliper has me at lower edge of overweight so I am not trying to lose 50lbs, but I'm also not anorexic or even lean. Short girls need nutrition help too!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now and what is your goal weight?
  • laurelisme
    Options
    Hi I was 121 now 118.4 and holding steady. I set my goal at 112 as that was healthy lean weight for me in earlier years. I'm not hung up on the number but need to lose some more fat, especially visceral middle fat. Currently exercise 30-40 mins (sweaty) 2x per week and try to walk dog/do moderate exercise 15-20 mins most days (warm but not sweaty). 20 mins yoga 1-2 x per week.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My calories are also set at 1200. I'm just under 5' tall and have been averaging a loss of 6-8lbs per month. Have lost 19lbs from Feb 1 to May 1. I work out for 30-45 mins per day, 5x per week on the recumbent bike. So far, so good!
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    At your weight, I would eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Building a little muscle all over without gaining or losing will decrease the amount of fat you have.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    MFP will not recommend calories below 1200, no matter how quickly you'd like to lose. 1200 is considered the minimum calorie intake for females to provide adequate nutrition.

2 lbs/week = 1000 calorie deficit per day
    1 lbs/week = 500 calorie deficit per day
    0.5 lbs/week = 250 calorie deficit per day

0.5 lbs/week is the most appropriate since you only have 6 lbs to lose. If it's giving you 1200 calories per day for 0.5 lbs/week, then I'm guessing you entered yourself as sedentary. If you truly are sedentary (not including exercise), stick to 1200 calories per day and eat back your exercise calories.
  • laurelisme
    Options
    I admit my exercise has been almost all cardio. I'll try more strength training. I think I should have had enough deficit to lose, but maybe I underestimated my portions. Go indigoblue! I will try to match your exercise!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'll second the idea of going slower since you've only got 6 lbs to lose, if you accelerate things, it will come back faster/easier.
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Idk what scale you used but at 5'2 and 120 you should be far away from anything overweight even by military standards you would be 12-20 pounds before even they would say your overweight