It's Not Hunger It's Thirst

Options
124»

Replies

• krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm not hungry, I'm bored, or stressed, or tired, etc... I drink a lot of water though!
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I feel very guilty for being in the US and being the only one here who doesn't love Oreos! They're everywhere, and people mix them into anything and everything and it's all so disgusting haha.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Katerbels wrote: »
    I feel very guilty for being in the US and being the only one here who doesn't love Oreos! They're everywhere, and people mix them into anything and everything and it's all so disgusting haha.

Heresy!

But seriously, you're not the only one. There are a few more heretics that posted in community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329654/oreos-the-greatest-packaged-cookie-of-all-time/p1 with their Oreo hate, and I'm pretty sure some are American :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Katerbels wrote: »

I don't care about them. I used to like the traditional ones okay, but I don't approve of all the new flavors (kidding, I don't care), and I don't like them enough to ever eat them now, given all the other options of things to eat. (This isn't weight loss related.)

I also think peanut butter is overrated and hate cold cereal, though, so it's questionable whether I would pass an "is she a good American" test.

I like certain girl scout cookies and ice cream and apple pie, love a good burger, prefer coffee to tea, and get along okay with my mom, so I hope that's sufficient!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't like Oreos (the thin ones are better, IMO, but I don't go out of my way for them), hate coffee, never buy Girl Scout cookies, and dislike cold breakfast cereals...I guess I'm a horrible excuse for an American too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't like Oreos (the thin ones are better, IMO, but I don't go out of my way for them), hate coffee, never buy Girl Scout cookies, and dislike cold breakfast cereals...I guess I'm a horrible excuse for an American too!

I'm sure you can find something stereotypically American you like! ;-)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love haggis!!! JK
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Barbecue brisket :yum: Our local BBQ restaurant makes the BEST loaded baked potatoes topped with chopped smoked brisket.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I'm right there with you. I've never liked Oreos. They taste burnt to me. There's always this bitter aftertaste from the darn things. No thank you. :s
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I'm right there with you. I've never liked Oreos. They taste burnt to me. There's always this bitter aftertaste from the darn things. No thank you. :s

Vociferously opinionated writer Harlan Ellison always advocated for Hydrox. As they became more and more difficult to find, he began to suspect a conspiracy.

It was actually Oreo that were imitations of Hydrox, not the other way around, although you'd never know it from market share.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »
    Fear not @diannethegeek - nobody will hate you :) everybody is different so, whilst it may not be true for me, it may be true for you.

This thread was intended as a very much light-hearted observation. I do wonder though if it's thirst that's making you hungry and not just boredom - something the act of going to get a drink will cure as it gives you something to occupy your brain with.

I'd still choose an Oreo over a glass of water any day of the week :naughty:

If I were you, I wouldn't start down the road of believing you know more about my body than I do. I've been studying my hunger signals for half a decade. Sometimes it's boredom. Sometimes it's anxiety and depression. Sometimes it's exhaustion. And sometimes it's even thirst, which I know many here believe is just a myth. I'm apparently a unicorn or something, but it happens.

Keep in mind that when left to my own devices I have a cup of coffee in the morning, a diet soda with my afternoon snack, and then I won't drink again until maybe right before bed. I get a lot of hydration from foods, but not enough.

Ah no, you are not :smile: if I forget to drink after a long run, I become ravenously hungry (and sometimes I forget because I rarely am thirsty).

I get a terrible headache when I'm dehydrated after a long run. It seems once the headache comes no amount of water relives it. I usually give up and go to bed to sleep it off, which works most of the time.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I like Oreos but only the cookie part not the cream in the middle... I think that makes me weird.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I like Oreos but only the cookie part not the cream in the middle... I think that makes me weird.

Can we talk? I want the middle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Same! It plays in my favor for weight loss too. Each cookie half is only 10 or so calories, so when I scrape off the middle the 8 halves from a 4-pack are only 80 calories and they feel like plenty ( to me at least).
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth, when I was in the U.S. Air Force, in Basic Training, we were required to drink 2-eight ounce glasses of water *before eating.* "They" said it was to help us feel fuller, quicker, and to keep us from getting dehydrated during marching. By the end of Basic, we *learned* to hold our pee to the point where our eyes seemed to float! ~sad chuckle~ I must say though, that for me, it does help me not eat so voraciously and I tend to take more time, or break meals into smaller sections...some for now, some for later.