How to accurately weigh frozen lasagna?

So I'm making frozen lasagna tonight and don't know how to accurately weigh it since is comes in the pan and I can't weigh that separately and once cooked the lasagna would weigh different anyway.

Nutrition says 1/4 of tray (227g) is 300 calories.

I like to be as accurate as possible thanks.

Replies

• seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    This is a common problem. The tray is only likely to weigh around 10g or so though so just weigh (in pan) when cooked, knock off 10g, divide by 4 then you know how much cooked weight is equivalent to 227g frozen.

It may not be 100% accurate but it's going to be near enough.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Cook it, weigh the whole thing, and divide by 4?
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    edited May 2017
    You could weigh the entire thing and then weigh the container again when you've finished eating to know how much weight you actually ate.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    seantnash wrote: »
    This is a common problem. The tray is only likely to weigh around 10g or so though so just weigh (in pan) when cooked, knock off 10g, divide by 4 then you know how much cooked weight is equivalent to 227g frozen.

It may not be 100% accurate but it's going to be near enough.

I'll do that then do what naruya said. Thanks
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    I weight after the food is cooked...is that wrong? It seems to work.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    The trouble with cooked weight is so many factors affect the actual weight once cooked - length of cooking time, method of cooking, cooking temperature. It's always best to weigh ingredients raw as much as you can.

Having said that, in this particular example, we know the calories for a quarter of the item so a quarter of the cooked weight can be worked out and will be the same as the calories in a quarter of the frozen product. A quarter is a quarter whether cooked or frozen.