Need soy sauceless beef stir fry recipe

Options
megala65
megala65 Posts: 34 Member
Hey all! I'm trying to find a tasty beef stir fry recipe that doesn't use soy sauce. I love soy sauce but I'm bored with it and want to cut down the sodium intake too. :smile:

Replies

• cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    use hot sauce or stir fry sauce. They have low sodium and you never need a lot a few tablespoons will do for flavor :)
  • megala65
    Options
    Stir fry sauce has no soy in it? I made something tonight with a little beef broth, balsamic vinegar, toasted sesame oil, ginger paste, minced garlic, sambal and corn starch and it was tasty but something was missing. Probably the soy. lol It just needed an extra depth of flavor.
  • Rozziet
    Rozziet Posts: 10
    Options
    Why not try oyster sauce? And a bit of Chinese 5 spice?
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    I use either Lachoy stirfry mix ... 1 Tbsp 170 sodium and 20 cal or Iron Chef Generals Tso ... 2 Tbsp 240 sodium and 60 cal. Both taste good and if it isn't moist enough I throw in a little chicken broth.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Fish sauce?

Not sure what's in hoisin but I marinated beef strips in that and some dry sherry yesterday to make a beef stirfry with brown rice and red pepper.

Or worcestershire sauce?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ginger & spring onion= a little veg stock/broth with garlic, fresh ginger & chopped spring onions (green & white part)

Sweet chilli sauce

Teryaki marinade

Chinese 5 spice + Honey & a little water + chilli flakes

A little thai red curry paste

Sesame oil (a little goes a very long way, you only need a few drops).
  • eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Use Aminos. It tastes exactly like soy sauce without the sodium or calories....
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Use Aminos. It tastes exactly like soy sauce without the sodium or calories....

I looked into Bragg's Liquid Aminos when a family member was diagnosed with celiac disease. It's still pretty high in sodium (1 teaspoon of Aminos has 12% of your daily sodium, while regular soy sauce has 14%). A teaspoon of Aminos has zero calories and a teaspoon of soy sauce has 4 calories. I found the differences pretty negligible. Are you using something different from Bragg's?
  • megala65
    Options
    I haven't been able to find oyster sauce in my local grocery. I'm not a big fan of the 5 spice, don't care of anise flavor. Do you think they make a 4 spice? lol