Eating back calories burnt on long hike.

Options

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I would not eat an extra 2500 or 3000 calories. First, if the estimate is high you will overeat.

You should eat some of it, but not all. If it was me, I would bring snacks for the hike to eat as necessary. In terms of your meals, go by hunger. Maybe you will only need an extra 500 or 750. You will in no way be harmed by eating at a larger than usual deficit for one day.

If this becomes a regular thing, you will most likely notice that your hunger increases and you might consider eating more in that case.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For a hike like that I usually add about 1 000 - 1 250 cals to my diet, but I also take some extra with me just in case. But to be honest that has been through trial and error.
    I generally would go for a full english breakfast, small lunch, some fruit and larger dinner. In part as I don't like to eat much when I am hiking.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I've been sticking to (or trying to) eating 1250 calories per day and I've been seeing really good results.
    This Saturday I'm planning a 10.5 mile hike around Kinder Scout in the Peak District. Using my own online calculations and MFP it says I'll burn around 2500-3500 calories from the hike. Should I eat around 3000 calories that day leaving me with calories still left over or should I still eat less, Maybe around 2000?
    I'm not sure if MFP is exaggerating calories brunt as that seems a lot and don't want to waste a good day eating it all back.
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that

Without knowing the person's weight, how heavy their pack is, how much elevation gain and loss are involved, and what the ground surface is like (pavement, smooth dirt, nasty rutted rocks and roots, talus?) it's impossible to say. Could easily be double that.

I'm 153 pounds and 5foot 3 so probably a bit higher than normal and kinder scout is the highest peak in the district at 636m elevation and I'll be carrying around 10lbs on rough terrain and hill grass? Lol no paths included really apart from trodden ground.
    I'll do what others say and just eat when my bidy needs it and see how I go.

It sounds like a great hike, I hope you enjoy it! Bring some snacks and eat regularly on the way, it'll help you avoid being starved at the end and possibly binging. If you feel like it, come back and post photos here. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a nice glass of wine after a long hike sounds heavenly to me....... make that the whole bottle.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Hiking burns a ton of calories. It's great exercise. Enjoy your hike! and allow yourself the extra food. Don't make it "oh my gosh I HAVE to eat this much or I'll die!!!" but absolutely plan on eating at LEAST half back , and I'd actually be lenient for the next day as well. I get delayed hunger (the next day) after hiking.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

When you wrote "You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that," I took that to mean you were advancing some kind of estimate as to how many calories she would actually burn.

And that is certainly not what I wrote. I said "around", and I said "WALKING". NOT hiking. I was simply presenting information that might be useful.

Do you honestly think one day of eating more in order to account for a out-of-the-ordinary 10 mile hike is going to sabotage OP's weight loss? This feels a bit like fear-mongering.

Nonsense. Nowhere did I say any such thing. Fear mongering? That's hilarious. :D

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat about 500 or so cals for breakfast, then pack lots of 100 Cal snacks with me, but I try to save some cals back for a nice dinner out afterward if I can. Since I am a compulsive eater, I check my Fitbit Charge HR to be sure I really burned off enough cals to eat my next snack. (I eat my discomfort and frustration, hungry or not. Gum is a good friend on long hikes!)

Down 140lbs: My story.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Hey, so I've been sticking to (or trying to) eating 1250 calories per day and I've been seeing really good results.
    This Saturday I'm planning a 10.5 mile hike around Kinder Scout in the Peak District. Using my own online calculations and MFP it says I'll burn around 2500-3500 calories from the hike. Should I eat around 3000 calories that day leaving me with calories still left over or should I still eat less, Maybe around 2000?
    I'm not sure if MFP is exaggerating calories brunt as that seems a lot and don't want to waste a good day eating it all back.
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that, so I think 2500-3000 might be high. The calories burned estimates are often quite high, but I would certainly plan to eat more than usual that day.

She's not walking it...she's hiking it. BIG difference. My calorie burns on hikes are much high than on an equivalent run (rough terrain, lots of lateral movement, more muscle work needed to balance, elevation gain, etc...plus the pack she'll carry. She's adding a significant elevation change...over 2,000 feet which is the equivalent of adding at least a couple of miles to it.

I don't know what she'll burn, but it is certainly higher than 100 cal /mile.

No one actually reads anymore, apparently. :/
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I am also eating around 1200 per day ( I am 5'4" at 138 lbs) while trying to lose weight. I generally eat back half to 3/4 of my normal exercise calories. I exercise almost every day, so I really eat around 1300-1400 cals. When I've done all day strenuous activities (hiking, etc) and I can't eat a real meal (for example, take a lunch break) I will have Gatorade and water on hand and pick at a protein bar along the way. I tend not to feel hungry when I'm on the go like that, but when I eat some of the protein bar after a couple of hours, I definitely notice a difference in my energy. Better to pack a couple of healthy, energy laden snacks even if you end up not eating them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

When you wrote "You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that," I took that to mean you were advancing some kind of estimate as to how many calories she would actually burn.

And that is certainly not what I wrote. I said "around", and I said "WALKING". NOT hiking. I was simply presenting information that might be useful.

Do you honestly think one day of eating more in order to account for a out-of-the-ordinary 10 mile hike is going to sabotage OP's weight loss? This feels a bit like fear-mongering.

Nonsense. Nowhere did I say any such thing. Fear mongering? That's hilarious. :D

I'm sorry for misinterpreting your intent. What were you trying to communicate with those links? If you don't think one day of eating more in order to account for an out-of-the-ordinary 10-mile hike is going to sabotage OP's weight loss, why would you post a link to an article about how eating back calories from exercise can sabotage weight loss?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that, so I think 2500-3000 might be high. The calories burned estimates are often quite high, but I would certainly plan to eat more than usual that day.

She's not walking it...she's hiking it. BIG difference. My calorie burns on hikes are much high than on an equivalent run (rough terrain, lots of lateral movement, more muscle work needed to balance, elevation gain, etc...plus the pack she'll carry. She's adding a significant elevation change...over 2,000 feet which is the equivalent of adding at least a couple of miles to it.

No one actually reads anymore, apparently. :/

. . . you were the one arguing that her calorie burn sounded high based on what an average person would burn walking . . .
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Have fun! I'm trying complete in one trip the 3.5 mile hike around a pond in a state park near me. Either I don't have enough time, or my knees are bothering me, or I can tell from the conditions in the front that it's going to be too wet for the back to be passable. I need to do it soon before it gets too hot. I guess I'm a 'fair weather hiker', lol.

I'm currently reading 'Wild' (previously saw the movie with Reese Witherspoon) and am really enjoying it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I totally agree with this. Hiking is my main exercise having logged over 1000 miles in the past year. MapMyHike gives me anywhere from 1300-2000 calories depending on many different factors as stated by @MoiAussi93. At first I was skeptical of those burns and still am to a point, I don't eat all of those back. However, after a particularly long hike if I want to eat some extra I will. I have lost 62 pounds and am at maintenance so I guess it's all working. As @NorthCascades said, snack along the way to keep your energy level up and you won't feel so famished at the end.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I did a 20 mile hike with a 4800 foot elevation change a couple of months ago; I brought 8 liters of water with me, plus emergency supplies and a few protein bars for food, so about 20lbs in my back/hydration pack. When I got back to my airbnb room that night and stripped down in the bathroom to bathe, it was obvious I had lost weight just from that hike; I mean, markedly obvious. I wish I had taken photos!. Now that I think about it, the next time I go out on a difficult hike I will do just that so people can see what a good, hard hike can do.

Hmmm. . .now I have a reason to go hiking this weekend!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    First of all a one time activity will neither enhance or derail weight loss long term.

Second, unless op is in terrific shape, her weight is going to shoot through the roof due to water retention for as long as her muscles are aching over then next 2-5 days, and possibly a day after. So in the end she will never know what the correct values were because weight changes will be overwhelmed by water weight changes!

So, we have a random runner's world article that people who like to poo poo walking calories like to drag out (and which does not take speed, height, or weight into consideration) and we have the compendium of physical activities that a bunch of people have spent years compiling and is based on a person's stats and minutes of defined codified activity.

I know which one I vote for when it comes to likelihood of accuracy!

According to the compendium the op is embarking on an activity of approximately 7 MET (maybe 7.3, maybe 6.5, maybe 7.... some sections may be just a 4.5 walk, some a harder climb, I am calling it ~7)

Again to simply things we ignore corrected MET and just grossly consider that the additional burn will be (7-AF) * BMR.

Where AF=1.25 or 1.4 or 1.6 or 1.8 depending on whether the op is set up as sedentary, lightly active, active or very active on MFP.

BMR is easily found using: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

To make things even more simple, I would figure out what MFP thought i burned during every minute of the day.

Then i would figure that I have room to eat about 3x that amount (in addition to my normal food) for a numbwr of minutes equal to the duration of the hike.

Then I would eat 75%+ (up to 100%) of that total amount (in addition to my regular food) during that day and the next.

The 75% would not be out of distrust. It would be to generate an extra deficit... I would limit at 100% because, well, this is me and I can definitely eat more than I burn!!!

• paigereillymcguire
    paigereillymcguire Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    First of all a one time activity will neither enhance or derail weight loss long term.

Second, unless op is in terrific shape, her weight is going to shoot through the roof due to water retention for as long as her muscles are aching over then next 2-5 days, and possibly a day after. So in the end she will never know what the correct values were because weight changes will be overwhelmed by water weight changes!

So, we have a random runner's world article that people who like to poo poo walking calories like to drag out (and which does not take speed, height, or weight into consideration) and we have the compendium of physical activities that a bunch of people have spent years compiling and is based on a person's stats and minutes of defined codified activity.

I know which one I vote for when it comes to likelihood of accuracy!

According to the compendium the op is embarking on an activity of approximately 7 MET (maybe 7.3, maybe 6.5, maybe 7.... some sections may be just a 4.5 walk, some a harder climb, I am calling it ~7)

Again to simply things we ignore corrected MET and just grossly consider that the additional burn will be (7-AF) * BMR.

Where AF=1.25 or 1.4 or 1.6 or 1.8 depending on whether the op is set up as sedentary, lightly active, active or very active on MFP.

BMR is easily found using: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

To make things even more simple, I would figure out what MFP thought i burned during every minute of the day.

Then i would figure that I have room to eat about 3x that amount (in addition to my normal food) for a numbwr of minutes equal to the duration of the hike.

Then I would eat 75%+ (up to 100%) of that total amount (in addition to my regular food) during that day and the next.

The 75% would not be out of distrust. It would be to generate an extra deficit... I would limit at 100% because, well, this is me and I can definitely eat more than I burn!!!

Took me around 3 reads and a calculator but I think I get it haha.
    I only weight myself once every 2 weeks so I wouldn't get an accurate reading from it anyway. It's not my first hike my all means but it's the first time I've been counting my calories on MFP and not just eating large amounts because I can.
  • paigereillymcguire
    paigereillymcguire Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that

Without knowing the person's weight, how heavy their pack is, how much elevation gain and loss are involved, and what the ground surface is like (pavement, smooth dirt, nasty rutted rocks and roots, talus?) it's impossible to say. Could easily be double that.

I'm 153 pounds and 5foot 3 so probably a bit higher than normal and kinder scout is the highest peak in the district at 636m elevation and I'll be carrying around 10lbs on rough terrain and hill grass? Lol no paths included really apart from trodden ground.
    I'll do what others say and just eat when my bidy needs it and see how I go.

It sounds like a great hike, I hope you enjoy it! Bring some snacks and eat regularly on the way, it'll help you avoid being starved at the end and possibly binging. If you feel like it, come back and post photos here. :smile:

Thankyou, I will do! This isn't my first hike as I've also completed the 3 British peaks (snowdon, scafell and Ben nevis) but I've never been counting calories before so I could easily eat more calories than I burn and don't want to follow old habits haha