Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bugs!

MaddMaestro
MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
Any resources for properly raising and preparing bugs for consumption? Nutrition research says "Bugs? Why not!" So, I would like to give it a try starting with mealworms since they're the easiest to start.

Replies

• WVWalkerFriend
    WVWalkerFriend Posts: 575 Member
    I have no idea but my junior high science teacher used to fry them once a year and offer extra credit if we ate them. I just studied a little harder.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member

Best thing I've read today
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    You can order a kit for raising mealworms. A lot of choices came up when I googled it, but I haven't tried it, so I can't recommend one. I saw this on the news on CNN, too. I'm grossed out by the idea, but I also know my attitude is cultural. Bugs have a lot of protein. People eat them all over the world. Go for it.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Some places sell "cricket flour" made from crickets.... Yuck. Personally I'd rather just eat beans.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I tried Maposa Worms when I travelled to Africa a few years ago. They were pretty good, just salty/crunchy, and I was told they were really high in protein.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I've had crickets - pretty bland.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I'm not sure if I would be able to eat them after raising them. It's like eating a pet rabbit. I would buy cricket flour to try that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    No idea but I tried a silk worm and tarantula legs in Cambodia last year.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I would be able to eat them after raising them. It's like eating a pet rabbit. I would buy cricket flour to try that.

Just don't name them.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I would totally eat them if it was cheaper.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I wouldn't try to raise them but "chapulines"-- grasshoppers made with chile & lime seasoning from Oaxaca Mexico are FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    No idea but I tried a silk worm and tarantula legs in Cambodia last year.

Tarantula legs? Yeah, I'd have those with a tall glass of NOPE. :o
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
    I've had crickets and witchety grubs. Meh...