Macro Questions

Options
After a lot of trial and error, I have come to the place where I want to begin 'doing my macros' instead of counting calories. My question(s) are:

1.) How do I determine my macros for weight loss?
2.) If I need to know my lean body mass in order to determine my macros, how would I find it?
3.) How do I determine my macros for maintenance?

These, so far, are the questions that I have and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight
    .35 grams of fat per lb of body weight
    The rest carbs

You'll need to know your TDEE, and what amount of deficit you want.
  • SkittlesSeattle
    SkittlesSeattle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found out that my TDEE is 2359 and my BMR is 1887. Do I follow the TDEE or the BMR (which is 20% of the TDEE)? Also, when I am using the grams that were given for protein and fat - how do I use those numbers in reference to my TDEE (multiply, divide, etc)? Am I try to make the protein, fat and carbs add up to 100% or how does that work?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I found out that my TDEE is 2359 and my BMR is 1887. Do I follow the TDEE or the BMR (which is 20% of the TDEE)? Also, when I am using the grams that were given for protein and fat - how do I use those numbers in reference to my TDEE (multiply, divide, etc)? Am I try to make the protein, fat and carbs add up to 100% or how does that work?

How much weight are you looking to lose? 20% may be too aggressive if you have less than 30 lbs to lose.

But if you go with TDEE - 20% (1887):

1. multiply your weight by 0.8 - Eat that many grams of protein
    2. multiply your weight by 0.35 - eat that many grams of fat
    3. Subtract those grams from 1887, the amount left is how many carbs you get.

• SkittlesSeattle
    Options

How much weight are you looking to lose? 20% may be too aggressive if you have less than 30 lbs to lose.

But if you go with TDEE - 20% (1887):

1. multiply your weight by 0.8 - Eat that many grams of protein
    2. multiply your weight by 0.35 - eat that many grams of fat
    3. Subtract those grams from 1887, the amount left is how many carbs you get.

I want to lose about 100 or so pounds. After I set my macros, am I done with my TDEE?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What do you mean, "Done?"

You still have to watch carefully to be sure you stay under calories. Calories are king for weight loss. Macros are more preference. As you lose weight, your TDEE will change, too. You'll have to make adjustments many times along the way as you lose your 100 pounds.

Macros are protein, fat, carbs. Protein = 4 calories per gram. Fat = 9 cal/ gram. Carbs = 4 cals/ gram. If you watch macros, you are watching calories (assuming the correct macros are entered for the food.)
  • SkittlesSeattle
    Options

You still have to watch carefully to be sure you stay under calories. Calories are king for weight loss. Macros are more preference. As you lose weight, your TDEE will change, too. You'll have to make adjustments many times along the way as you lose your 100 pounds.

Macros are protein, fat, carbs. Protein = 4 calories per gram. Fat = 9 cal/ gram. Carbs = 4 cals/ gram. If you watch macros, you are watching calories (assuming the correct macros are entered for the food.)

I should have been more specific. I have tried many different approaches with little to no success. I cannot begin to place full responsibility on the things I was placing in my mouth because let's face it, at the end of the day, it's on me whether or not something works.

However, because I have tried and failed many times doing the same things multiple times over, I am tired of making myself insane. I am prepared to make the changes and adjustments necessary for whatever helps me to accomplish my goals.
  • aweger83
    aweger83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you would be a could candidate for joining eat to perform. You pay for a membership every month and they do all the macros for you and change them periodically based upon your results. Some friends of mine have had very amazing weight loss success with it. http://www.eattoperform.com
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    aweger83 wrote: »
    I think you would be a could candidate for joining eat to perform. You pay for a membership every month and they do all the macros for you and change them periodically based upon your results. Some friends of mine have had very amazing weight loss success with it. http://www.eattoperform.com

You do not have to pay for a program. It's not that hard!
  • cmriverside
    edited May 2017
    Options
    aweger83 wrote: »

You do not have to pay for a program. It's not that hard!

I never understand why people make this so hard. Just use the macros given by Myfitnesspal when you set up your goals. They are based on sound nutrition basic guidelines for 95% of people. If you have some outside-the-box requirements due to a medical problem or elite training of some sort, get macros from your doctor or trainer. Play around with them if you prefer a certain way of eating like high fat, low carb or vegetarian, or whatever. It's not rocket surgery.

So many threads lately about macros. Is there some magical new book that came out or something? I don't have TV, is macros getting hyped in pop culture lately?
  • kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Options

So, is your TDEE your caloric goal range to hit or stay under like the caloric goal MFP gives you?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight
    .35 grams of fat per lb of body weight
    The rest carbs

You'll need to know your TDEE, and what amount of deficit you want.

Once you get adequate protein and fat, you can then fill in the rest with whatever you want. It can be carbs, or more fat and protein.
  • cmriverside
    Options

So, is your TDEE your caloric goal range to hit or stay under like the caloric goal MFP gives you?

If you use the TDEE minus 20% method - which is NOT the way Myfitnesspal does it...MFP uses the NEAT (Mifflin St Jeor) calculation. You can Google "TDEE" and "Mifflin St Jeor" for more explanation about each of those. I don't know if I even understand your question.

Just use MFP's numbers. Keep a good food and exercise log. Adjust if you aren't getting results.
  • kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

If you use the TDEE minus 20% method - which is NOT the way Myfitnesspal does it...MFP uses the NEAT (Mifflin St Jeor) calculation. You can Google "TDEE" and "Mifflin St Jeor" for more explanation about each of those. I don't know if I even understand your question.

Just use MFP's numbers. Keep a good food and exercise log. Adjust if you aren't getting results.

For instance, my TDEE is 2359 and my BMR (which happens to be 20% less) is 1887. I know from there, the 1887 mark, I set my macros, but as you have mentioned before I would have to watch my calories.

My question, I guess, is after I set my macros using the numbers above, do I need them anymore (with the exception of having to adjust them as I lose) or are they my caloric guide as well as setting my macros?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Kelly, for now, just use the macros set by this site when you do your goals. Set your goal to "Lose 1 pound per week."

You're overthinking this.

Calories and macros will balance ...

While you are learning, just worry about calories and protein. Make sure you eat up to or over your protein and fat goals.