Pregnant woman calories??

Options
My fiance' was trying to lose weight and was eating about 1600 calories per day which was working. We just recently found out she is pregnant and she knows she is going to gain some weight but she does not want to eat too much now. About how many calories should a pregnant woman have in a day? Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    She should really speak to her doctor about it but from my understanding unless she is obese, she should eat at maintenance for her pregnancy and there is little-no extra calorie requirement for the 1st trimester.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If her starting weight is healthy, she should eat at maintenance, at least for the first trimester and then slightly above (like 200-300 more). If she is starting as overweight or obese, she needs to talk with her dr, sometimes even going below maintenance might be recommended.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    She should speak to her doctor at her first appointment because it's different for everyone. But the general rule, from what I've found online for my own research, it's maintenance the first trimester, +200 for the second, and +300 for the third.
  • terryt1992
    terryt1992 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sweet thank you. The first appointment is tomorrow actually so we will be asking the dr. about it just wanted some advice from a community who is trying to better themselves physically.
  • terryt1992
    terryt1992 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with you now that I think about it. @chunky_pinup
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    terryt1992 wrote: »
    I actually agree with you now that I think about it. @chunky_pinup

Good luck to you both and congrats!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

This linked post has a lot of great info that she may find useful.

Of course, the best thing is to confirm with her doctor as well. Especially if she is not in a normal BMI range (either under or over weight). That and listen to her body cues. Hungry? Eat. Not hungry? Don't eat.

Basically -
    maintenance for the first trimester
    250-300 extra (on top of maintenance) second trimester
    450-500 extra (on top of maintenance) third trimester
    Works out to an average of 300ish a day.
    Assuming she is starting in a normal BMI.

Also it will always depend on the woman. It seems my metabolism has gone into overdrive and I'm eating closer to 700 calories over maintenance in my third trimester and still my weight gain is looking like it will be lower than the recommended minimum of 25 lbs. Some women have the opposite and only need a couple hundred extra in the second/third trimester to gain at the right weight.

If I ate maintenance for the whole pregnancy I guarantee my baby would not be developing properly and would be at risk. A woman NEEDS extra calories in the second and third trimesters. There are studies showing that even if the woman begins pregnancy as obese, and maintains her weight through the pregnancy (effectively losing weight at the same time the baby is gaining), the baby is at risk. It's pretty much always recommended to gain some weight.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything useful to add but just wanted to say congratulations B)
  • cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm 25 weeks and 4days. I just changed my settings to maintain when i found out. And using the app to keep an eye on what i am eating. So far no concerns from doctor or midwife about my weight :). Congratulations and good luck xxx

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'll echo the others on calories. You need less extra than people might think- 200-300 extra calories is only one small snack.

Keep in mind also that she can continue her activity level (assuming she isn't doing anything totally wild). If she is walking/running/biking/lifting/etc, she can continue as long as there aren't medical complications. You generally shouldn't start new exercise while pregnant, but it's almost universally ok to continue previous. And of she is doing nothing now, just add in a daily walk!
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    UK Guidance is to eat at maintenance in 1st & 2nd trimester then add 200cal/day during 3rd trimester
  • Stephaniestickles17
    Stephaniestickles17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd focus on just keeping her and that baby healthy & fed up. Even if she eats more calories a day, remember she's eating for 2 now. Being pregnant you're going to gain a significant amount of weight. When she's had the baby it will take a well or so (depending on her body) for her stomach to go back to somewhat normal. At that point when she's ready, she should start to exercise & than watch her calories. But the key to this is to keep them safe!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say congratulations to you and your fiancé :smile:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd focus on just keeping her and that baby healthy & fed up. Even if she eats more calories a day, remember she's eating for 2 now. Being pregnant you're going to gain a significant amount of weight. When she's had the baby it will take a well or so (depending on her body) for her stomach to go back to somewhat normal. At that point when she's ready, she should start to exercise & than watch her calories. But the key to this is to keep them safe!

She is not eating for two. This is how women end up doubling their weight when pregnant, which is not only bad for the mother but also puts the baby at risk.
    She is eating very slightly above maintenance, and only towards the pregnancy end.
    Being pregnant does not mean putting on significant weight. If starting very overweight it might even be recommended to not gain at all.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    terryt1992 wrote: »
    Sweet thank you. The first appointment is tomorrow actually so we will be asking the dr. about it just wanted some advice from a community who is trying to better themselves physically.

It's great you want advice from this community, but you shouldn't listen to ANY sort of community advice when it comes to health and pregnancy. All of that should come from the medical professionals.

So much this.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was over weight during my last pregnancy and I did speak with my doctor and she said an extra 300 calories a day and I only gained 16lbs and my son was born perfectly healthy at almost 8lbs
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What Aggelikik said! I only gained 12kg during my 42 week pregnancy. And I'm 700g away from my pre-pregnancy weight at 9 weeks post-partum. She should really not gain more than 15kg max.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Speak to her doctor about it. But usually 1st trimester you eat normal no extra calories 2nd trimester should be about 200 calories extra then 3rd another 200 extra. And stay active active active. And eat back some of those exercise calories. But again doctor doctor doctor