Sugar substitute

Options
For those in Texas ... who shop mostly at HEB or Walmart. ... what do you use as a good sugar substitute? Like brand wise.

Replies

• Levavy03
    Levavy03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not in Texas but the only good one to use is Stevia. I use Stevia in the Raw. Every grocery store carries it and it is affordable. I use it in my coffee and Green Ice Tea. Hope that helps.
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use the WalMart brand Zero Calories sweetener, in the yellow bag. It tastes good, and lasts a long time. We put it in coffee, baked goods... Everything. It's a HUGE bag for like $4. One bag lasts the two of us two months.
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Levavy03 wrote: »
    I'm not in Texas but the only good one to use is Stevia. I use Stevia in the Raw. Every grocery store carries it and it is affordable. I use it in my coffee and Green Ice Tea. Hope that helps.

I use the same, ordered a zillion packs on Amazon.
  • CeiraDenise
    CeiraDenise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-stevia-extract-pouch/1817356 <--- -this ... and it was TERRRRRRIBLE Horrible Holy cow awful. Lol. I'm wondering if it's just a bad offbrand?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I got https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-stevia-extract-pouch/1817356 <--- -this ... and it was TERRRRRRIBLE Horrible Holy cow awful. Lol. I'm wondering if it's just a bad offbrand?

Maybe, maybe not. Some people find stevia has a bitter aftertaste, some don't. If you're one that does, brand won't matter.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Probably not. I find stevia - and every product that I've had it in - to be vile.

Like tejahbee, I often just use the Great Value (Wal-Mart) Splenda knock-off.
  • CeiraDenise
    Options
    That's understandable stealthq ... I may try one or two other brands to test the theory.
    And Tr0berts ... I've read that splenda/knock off splendas are quite bad for your stomach and such ... That's why I was trying to edge away from that.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

LOL, I was going to suggest H-E-B's stevia extract. I actually find it better tasting than other stevia brands. Plus the price is great.

Perhaps you got a bad batch? Perhaps my taste buds are screwy?

I do use it sparingly, though. Since going LCHF I've gotten used to eating slightly sweet. A pouch lasts me a couple of months.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Levavy03 wrote: »

"Good" is pretty subjective. I think Stevia tastes horrid.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That could be because that's not stevia, it's maltodextrin first, stevia second ingredient. I'd give stevia another try, but this time look for a pure stevia extract. It'll likely be a little more expensive but a little goes a long, long, long way. Less than a teaspoon is equivalent to an entire cup of sugar.

For those interested, stevia is an easy plant to grow. Just grow it like any other herb, cut the leaves off or an entire stalk and either hang them to dry or use a dehydrator, then process the hell out of them until they are a fine powder. Keeps forever, especially if you freeze it in an airtight baggie.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to sweeten up tea and coffee I like the Whole Earth Sweetener Co Monk Fruit Juice Extract.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other side of the world, but i use xylitol or truvia.
  • CeiraDenise
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »

LOL, I was going to suggest H-E-B's stevia extract. I actually find it better tasting than other stevia brands. Plus the price is great.

I do use it sparingly, though. Since going LCHF I've gotten used to eating slightly sweet. A pouch lasts me a couple of months.

Ahhhhh ... I don't know! Lol. The bag said cup for cup like sugar, so we put a cup and a half (don't judge) in a gallon of sweet tea and that stuff WAS UNDRINKABLEEEEEE.

But yes, I am going to try a GOOD stevia extract without the additives I think.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    Stevia all the way! But like any other change, it might take you a bit of time to get used to it. I tried xylitol but went back to stevia. FYI, xylitol is toxic to dogs so if you have a dog that is a food thief, perhaps xylitol isn't a good option.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Stevia all the way! But like any other change, it might take you a bit of time to get used to it. I tried xylitol but went back to stevia. FYI, xylitol is toxic to dogs so if you have a dog that is a food thief, perhaps xylitol isn't a good option.
    I didn't like stevia at first - it tasted vile to me too. But I read that it's possible to get used to it, so I tried that and it seemed to work. I used liquid stevia, and it was easy to add just a drop or two at first - hardly enough to taste, but enough so that I got used to it. It took a couple of months, but I now find stevia to be OK. It has the advantage of not adding any calories. Also, a lot of health-oriented businesses won't provide any other kind of sweetener, so it was either stevia, sugar (in some form), or nothing. Being able to use stevia opened up another option.

I use xylitol too, mostly for custards or hot cereal. It has some calories but fewer than sugar. And it's good for teeth - not just "not bad for teeth," but actually helpful in preventing tooth decay. You may need to watch how much you eat, though, because it can cause, um, bathroom issues. They're harmless, but still not pleasant. Also, don't use it in baking with yeast.

At stores like Wal-mart, you should be able to get sucralose (Splenda) either in packets or in bulk for cooking.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I generally go with saccharine (the pink packet stuff). But you might be surprised with what you can get used to ;)
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options

@Christine_72 have you tried Natvia? Its great. 75711.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yes, that's the brand i use. I think I've been Americanised and am starting to use the names of their products lol i spend way too much time on here! But yes, i meant natvia, not truvia
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yes, that's the brand i use. I think I've been Americanised and am starting to use the names of their products lol i spend way too much time on here! But yes, i meant natvia, not truvia

That's ok, I understand. I think I spend way too much time on here as well, haha. I find myself going out of my way to purchase certain American foods because I see all of this talk about them on here even though they're not commonly available here in Sydney.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »

Ahhhhh ... I don't know! Lol. The bag said cup for cup like sugar, so we put a cup and a half (don't judge) in a gallon of sweet tea and that stuff WAS UNDRINKABLEEEEEE.

But yes, I am going to try a GOOD stevia extract without the additives I think.

I think it's sweeter than sugar and you probably used way too much. I cannot tolerate it unless I use it very sparingly. As in, like 1/2 packet max in a cup of coffee. Maybe you could try adding half as much sugar into your tea as you usually would, and then VERY slowly add your stevia, tasting it after every small addition? I prefer just drinking iced tea with no sugar in it. I sometimes add a few Earl Grey tea bags which makes it delicious all by itself.