Counting walking calories

Options
I generally work out or fast walk everyday, but wondered if my other steps on fitbit should be counted . Thanks

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    All steps are counted in Fitbit as they are an accumulated total of daily activity
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I count my steps with both an old-school pedometer in my pocket and a fitbit. But I don't record them on MFP unless I actually Go For A Walk. All the rest is just background movement to me.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've set my MFP activity level to the lowest but allow my UP (similar to Fitbit) to give calorie adjustment. I also log my swimming in UP. If you link MFP & Fitbit you won't need to add your walking as exercise to MFP as it will be done automatically.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I generally work out or fast walk everyday, but wondered if my other steps on fitbit should be counted . Thanks

If your Fitbit is linked to MFP. it *should* be already in your activity. (However, mine did not show up in MFP for a couple of months - no idea why. It does now though.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The "other steps" also require energy so if they cause you to move more than your activity level would estimate (that is, if they create an activity adjustment), I would eat at least some of them back.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I just log my intentional exercise, not the random steps I do during the day. I figure that's part of my lifestyle, so included in my activity setting.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't log normal activity steps, but if I go on a 5 or more mile walk/hike, I'll count that.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I assume I'm generally walking 2.5 mph and time myself running errands. I generally deduct about 5-10 minutes for slower pace moving inside the store, waiting at the checkout (if it's a long line, I'll keep track of the full time), waiting for the light to turn green, etc. And I eat back half my exercise calories.