Do you have a cheat day?

Options
2»

Replies

• aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Cheat weekends for sure. I don't even log in here because I know it'll look bad. That and you tend to lose track of the drinks...
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    Absolutely not. Seems sort of detrimental and like binging to me (for me personally, might work great for others but I always feel sort of bloated and gross if I cheat). Plus, I find it harder to get back on track after allowing myself to go off it. I am not on a diet, exactly, more like I'm trying to change habits and learn to eat the right portions. I don't deny myself the things I love (I just eat them less often and smaller amounts).
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    I dont have a dedicated cheat day... if there is something i want to eat ...I let myself...with in reason!! and i make sure its with in my calorie goal.....
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't have cheat meals or cheat days. I eat what I want, when I want - in moderation. For me, knowing I can have whatever I want - whenever I want it makes it feel less like a "diet" and more like a lifestyle change. I would much rather eat whatever it is I want NOW than have to wait for a specific day or meal to have it. I feel like THAT leads me to binge eat because I feel like there are foods that are 'Off limits' and this isn't my goal.
    THIS!! :-)
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    This is a lifestyle, changing behavior, not a 'diet', so if I go over, I'm not going to fret, but go back to more healthy eating the next day. I do tend to be a little less restrictive on the weekends, but try to stay with as much healthy foods and exercise as possible.
  • kalougri
    kalougri Posts: 12
    Options
    I was wondering this yesterday. Every Sunday my family goes to my Mum and Dads for Sunday roast. It's not a massive blowout, and yesterday I took a few roast potatoes of my plate and shared them between the children. I did have a piece of cheesecake though and most of my meal was Steamed veg, There was stuffing and a fair bit of gravy though *oops*

I look forward to Sunday all week, I get to put my feet up and not cook for the family, and my dad makes a mean roast. So I was wondering if I should just go with it (in moderation) and make sure I'm more careful the rest of the week.

I was within my calorie limit by the time I got home, but I normally have a little supper at about 10, and messed up by having a couple of my home made cookies. Don't know if my will power was weakened by already having had a bit of a naughty dinner and cheesecake.

Back on track today, but wondering how bad it is for my weightloss/willpower to have this small slip each week. (I was 277 calories over my target of 1310 yesterday)
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat meal or day per say, it just kind of happens. Usually they're pretty spaced out and mostly always a craving that I let linger for a few days. This way I know I really want it.
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    I did find a blog, on TopFatLossTrainer.com, that says if you restrict carbs throughout the week then you should have a cheat day, just to keep your metabolism up. They went into some scientific explanation with hormones and stuff, but I didn't read it all.

I sometimes like to. I joined a week ago and had one. I might have one every other week if I feel my metabolism is going to the pits.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Never, to be honest!! I may cheat for a yummy snack within my day, but I always workout to make up for it, or just be careful to not go over my intake (if I have a lazy day, which is few and far between anyway).
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    Actually I don't- I USED to though, and what I would find is that it would lead me to fall off the wagon completley. Ever since I've stopped having them I've been fine. We went to an all you can eat buffet for dinner the other night, and I just ate what I wanted, but I feel okay about it as it was only one meal and I haven't gained 5lbs lol.
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is really cheating, but on a Saturday evening I have a curry and Sunday luchtimes I have a roast dinner. It's nice to have something to look forward to whilst at work all week :-)
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I know people that do that and it works for them. Personally, I do not do cheat days and I simply fit what I eat into my daily meal plan. This often includes controlled amounts of foods I love. This is a lifestyle change for me, not just a diet to do temporarily. Some days are easier than others, but I make sure that I write down what I eat each and everyday to keep myself accountable.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day, but I don't really call it that! :-) I have one day per week that I call a "no tracking day". I still try to make good decisions, and I usually still exercise, but I just have one day a week that I take a break from tracking and try to practice intuitive eating. So far, I'm still losing a good rate with this no-tracking-day.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It depends. For some, they never cheat (or at least build it into their daily allowance), and it works for them. For me, I gotta have something to look forward to. A day to just eat and eat and not care about anything. If you told me I had to eat like this all the time, I'd probably quit. I build in planned cheat days, so it's not like I'm cheating out of weakness. There's less guilt. I'll do it once or twice a month, by looking at the calendar and picking the day I want to do it. Then it's written on the calendar for me to look forward to. It works for me. But you need to do what works for you.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't have cheat meals or cheat days. I eat what I want, when I want - in moderation. For me, knowing I can have whatever I want - whenever I want it makes it feel less like a "diet" and more like a lifestyle change. I would much rather eat whatever it is I want NOW than have to wait for a specific day or meal to have it. I feel like THAT leads me to binge eat because I feel like there are foods that are 'Off limits' and this isn't my goal.

This! :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    NOPE NEVER EVER!
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. I have been on here a couple of weeks and I always eat under my calories and I am hungry all the time. Yesterday, I had some popcorn at the movie, went to a pizza buffet, and then my husband gave me a piece of chocolate pie at 11:00 last night...of course, I ate it and loved every bite. :) I didn't log my pie and I forgot to log my salad at dinner and may have underestimated my popcorn consumption so I know I ended up going over my calories. I felt horrible but it was so good to not be hungry for a bit and this morning I actually had more energy when I went for my daily run. I was thoughtful about the amount of popcorn and pizza I was eating so that I ate less than I would have before. I am thinking I need to do this every once in awhile. I will just try not to go over my calories too much and keep myself in control. I ran an extra half a mile this morning to help make up for it.