Low carb diet

Options
levie27
levie27 Posts: 36 Member
Has any one here done a low carb diet.And has worked for losing weight ?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    do a search for low carb. i'm sure you'll find tons of info. people do all sorts of things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It works if you can sustain a calorie deficit.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm LC and find it sustainable and an easy way to stay in deficit, thereby losing weight. My suggestion is to try lowering your carbs some and see how you feel. Maybe try keeping your higher carb foods to things like potatoes and certain fruits for a few weeks and see how you feel and if seems sustainable. If you find you need more grains and such in your diet, you can always add them back in.
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yessssss. Low carb has helped me loose fast.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You'll find many people on here that restrict or moderate their carbs to certain extent.

I personally find LCHF great for maintaining weight and improving my health (I was previously in very bad shape). I still have to put some effort to create a calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • hbic1984
    hbic1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do the South Beach diet. It has worked very well. It's more of getting the right kinds of carbs rather than just low or no carbs. It's like sweet potatoes vs white potatoes. It has been life changing for me.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't be able to handle low carb, I find my body works best on a balance of about 50% of my calories from carbs. There are a ton of people who swear by it though - search for keto and low carb in the forums and you will find likely thousands of threads on people who have had a lot of success.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    levie27 wrote: »
    Has any one here done a low carb diet.And has worked for losing weight ?

ANY diet that provides a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. Eliminating carbs is just one method of calorie reduction. Smaller portions is another method of calorie reduction.

The key is keeping the weight you lose off because you don't want to diet over & over again. People who do keep the weight off are in the minority......this is often harder than losing weight.

Is low carb something that you plan on using for maintenance too? Is low carb a lifestyle (life long) change? Find something you can change forever.

There are no "right" carbs. The whole white foods are "evil" is just a diet fad used to sell books.

Low carb is not faster weight loss. There in an initial "whoosh" of water weight loss, but that comes back if you start eating carbs again. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out, carbs don't change that.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have, not by choice, but because I got diagnosed with diabetes. I immediately cut out all soda, sweet tea, juice, candy, etc, reduced portions f bread, rice, pasta. I lost almost 30 lbs from July to February. And that was without working out. I'm sure the reduction in calories from not eating all those high calorie foods contributed significantly. Now I watch my carbs but I have learned how to eat so that I don't have blood sugar spikes and I am increasing my activity..
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    ksz1104 wrote: »
    I have, not by choice, but because I got diagnosed with diabetes. I immediately cut out all soda, sweet tea, juice, candy, etc, reduced portions f bread, rice, pasta. I lost almost 30 lbs from July to February. And that was without working out. I'm sure the reduction in calories from not eating all those high calorie foods contributed significantly. Now I watch my carbs but I have learned how to eat so that I don't have blood sugar spikes and I am increasing my activity..

Actually the reduction is calories is the only reason for weight loss.*
    It isnt necessary to exercise or work out to lose weight, just to reduce calorie intake. Exercising helps because it burns more calories so your net calorie intake is lower than what it would have been, and of course helps prevent muscle loss, but calorie reduction below your daily output WILL generate weight loss all by itself.

Its necessary to monitor carbs for diabetics, but makes no long term difference to a non-diabetic for weight loss.

*unless you have a body part removed!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If you maintain an energy deficit it will work. If you don't it will not...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It worked really well for me. I've found it sustainable and I had a lot of positive health benefits from it. Everyone is different though, of course, so experiment and see what works for you.